Over Paying Free Agency horrible this year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
    35$ Million of Nate Clements contract, he will NEVER see. He is going to get paid 45$ Million for six years, then as he turns 32 years old, he will be cut loose.
    I'm sure Bailey is similar as well. Bottom line is neither will play through the last year on their contract. Clements still got more guaranteed money.

Comment

35$ Million of Nate Clements contract, he will NEVER see. He is going to get paid 45$ Million for six years, then as he turns 32 years old, he will be cut loose.
      Oh, my God. Please don't breed. Follow along.

I mean Nate Clement is a very good CB. But the highest paid player in the NFL? I mean he's no Champ Bailey!
      well champ still makes the most a year...he avrages 9 mill a year
      And Nate Clements averages 10 million a year. Pretty simple math. 8 years 80 million dollars.
      Actually it's not nearly that simple, which is what a lot of people don't understand.
      Champ Bailey
      63,000,000.00 divided by seven years equals 9,000,000.00 a season.

Nate Clements
      80,000,000.00 divided by eight years equals 10,000,000.00 a season.

So if I'm wrong how this doesn't come out that Nate Clements is getting paid more on average let me know.
      HE AVERAGES 10,000,000.00 A SEASON! Could Clements be cut, yes. Could Bailey get cut, yes. But the bottom line is Clements deal is worth MORE than Bailey's.

Comment

So do you really believe that Nate Burleson's deal was worth $49 million?

Teams put ridiculous roster bonuses or escalate the salary to a ridiculous degree in the latter years of the contracts because it gives the contract more years to prorate the signing bonus over, and it gives Clements and his agent something to trump about. Once most of that guaranteed money is paid and there is little remaining amortization, the team and the player will come to the negotiating table to either restructure the deal, offer the player a new contract, or cut him, as they have NO INTENTION OF PAYING HIM THAT MONEY FROM THE OLD CONTRACT. They're dummy years. Nothing else.
        Last edited by yourfavestoner; 03-05-2007, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Your argument is not very good. If you really wanted to make your point, you'd bring up the guaranteed money in Clements' deal. Taking contract numbers and extrapolating them into an average, shows an ignorance with how most NFL contracts are designed.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGunShow View Post
            HE AVERAGES 10,000,000.00 A SEASON! Could Clements be cut, yes. Could Bailey get cut, yes. But the bottom line is Clements deal is worth MORE than Bailey's.
            I suck at math, but that I understand :D

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
            don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
              I suck at math, but that I understand :D
              lol! Finally.

Shiver and yourfavestoner. Who averages more a season... Champ Bailey or Nate Clements? That's all you need to answer. I don't believe you are as dense as you are letting on.

Comment

lol! Finally.

Shiver and yourfavestoner. Who averages more a season... Champ Bailey or Nate Clements? That's all you need to answer. I don't believe you are as dense as you are letting on.
                I see both sides. Both their averages are so high because of backloaded money they will never see. So it doesn't matter. Clements got more guaranteed money. We won't know who ends up making more until we know how long each play into their respective contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
                  Actually, we benched him because he was getting beaten for big plays that were hurting our defense. Thats just a dumb thing to say.
                  He was put a position to fail. If the Eagles knew how to use him he could have been better. Why did you guys have him man up on WR's all the time? He is a SS. If you guys didn't blitz every down maybe a CB could do what he is supposed to do and cover the WR's. Nolan isn't that dumb to play his SS man on WR's for a majority of the game

Comment

If you cannot formulate an intelligent counter-point, rather than continuing your asinine "who averages more" argument, then you are hopelessly lost in this discussion. Looking at the sum of the contract is the absolutely wrong way to look at it, we've made our case for why it's not. As 44% of his contract will never see the light of day. Yet all you've been able to refute our statements is a "he averages more!" retort, while completely ignoring the context. If you were to argue that Clements was overpaid, then bring up the guaranteed money in contrast to Bailey, not this "average" nonsense.
                    Last edited by Shiver; 03-05-2007, 02:32 PM.

Comment

If you cannot formulate an intelligent counter-point, rather than continuing your asinine "who averages more" argument
                      THAT WAS THE ORIGINAL POST MORON READ OVER FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!!! You are as dense as a brick of lead! Probably less intelligent!

well champ still makes the most a year...he avrages 9 mill a year
                      WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? WHO AVERAGES MORE? Got it?

Comment

The whole point of making an argument is, well, to make a point. The point you're making is that, in terms of contract language, Clements makes more per year than Bailey. Cool. That's great. When you examine the contract, common sense and an understanding of the salary cap and NFL contracts shows that Clements will not see 33% of his contract.

So I ask you: so what? Champ Bailey set the market for NFL cornerbacks three years ago. The new CBA ushered in a new era for the NFL, where teams have much, much more money to spend. If Bailey was in the market for a new contract this season, his deal would undoubtedly be in the $100 million range.

Comment

Only an idiot would use the average of the overall figure.

Jamal Lewis' 3-year, 25-mil contract, which he signed last year, is working out really well right now, isn't it?
                          Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Nate Clement, Wes Welker, Dwayne White, Leonard Davis, Dennis Northcutt, Michael Lewis, all getting over paid. I mean Nate Clement is a very good CB. But the highest paid player in the NFL? I mean he's no Champ Bailey! Wes Welker getting 39 million! Why didn't they just re-sign Deion Branch? Dwayne White getting 6 Million a season. Over a million dollars a sack! Leonard Davis getting 7 Mill a season. Dennis Northcutt getting paid like a starter?

I for one am glad the Steelers aren't mixing it up in free agency yet.
                            Thank God for that.

-fellow steeler fan

Comment

All you crack babies are ASSUMING Clements doesn't see the entirety of the contract. That is a possibility. But do I have to tell you what happens when you assume?

Bottom line, Champ Bailey is the best CB in the NFL. Champ Bailey isn't making as much money as Nate Clements. None of you have an argument that is going to change that fact.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                                Except for that whole, giving Charles Woodson about 20 million more than anyone else was going to.

But yes, I like Thompson too.
                                that does contradict it but we needed a top corner and it turned out he was worth the money.

Sig thanks to mockalicious

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information