Over Paying Free Agency horrible this year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheGunShow View Post
    All you crack babies are ASSUMING Clements doesn't see the entirety of the contract. That is a possibility. But do I have to tell you what happens when you assume?

Bottom line, Champ Bailey is the best CB in the NFL. Champ Bailey isn't making as much money as Nate Clements. None of you have an argument that is going to change that fact.
    Originally posted by Pro Football Talk
    FINAL YEAR OF CLEMENTS DEAL IS PHONY

Howard Balzer of the Sports Xchange explains that the eight-year, $80 million deal given by the 49ers to cornerback Nate Clements contains a phony final year, which automatically will be voided when a $10 million option bonus is paid to the player in 2008.

So either the option bonus won't be paid, and it'll be just a one-year deal -- or the option bonus will be paid, and the contract will be worth $64.02 million over seven years.

This is far different from a puffed up back end; it's a complete fabrication of the final year.

They could have picked any number for that final year. Instead of eight years, $80 million, the contract could have been eight years, $100 million. Or eight years, $800 million. Or eight years, infinity.

So why did they plop $15.98 million into the eighth year will disappear a year from now? It was, in our view, a favor to the agent, who'll now be able to trumpet to recruits the fact that he negotiated an "eight-year, $80 million" contract.

He didn't. It's seven years, $64.02 million. Still impressive, but not as catchy.
    You are wrong, plain and simple. I would like an apology for me and YFS, whom you rudely insulted under the pretense that you actually knew what you were talking about. At best, he's making as much as Champ Bailey, and it's doubtful he even sees that much money.
    Last edited by Shiver; 03-07-2007, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Wade 15 mil... ha

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
      they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
      Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
        Except for that whole, giving Charles Woodson about 20 million more than anyone else was going to.

But yes, I like Thompson too.
        Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't woodson's contract largly performanced based and front loaded?

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
        they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
        Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
          You are wrong, plain and simple. I would like an apology for me and YFS, whom you rudely insulted under the pretense that you actually knew what you were talking about. At best, he's making as much as Champ Bailey, and it's doubtful he even sees that much money.
          you deserve a gigantic internet high five.(no im not being sarcastic, i really want to give you a high five)

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Comment

Not only was that guy flat out wrong in his asinine argument, but he acted like a pompous jerk to those who told him such.

Comment

Not only was that guy flat out wrong in his asinine argument, but he acted like a pompous jerk to those who told him such.
              so i guess you wont be buying tickets to the gun show?:D

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Comment

Nope, don't plan on it.
                Last edited by Shiver; 03-07-2007, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Nope, don't plan on it.
                  how bout now?:D

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Comment

Nope, don't plan on it.
                    he's like that in every single thread.

You should read his retorts to my comments.

Peyton Manning could sign a 3 year 100Million dollar contract.

Doesn't mean he's making 33.33 Million dollars a season.

Didn't I tell you in another thread that you can't take everything for Face Value?

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

• Originally posted by draftguru151 View Post
                      People need to realize how much the contracts actually are. The players won't see most of that money. Just like when all the rookies got HUGE contracts last year they weren't really that big because that is the most money they can see, but they won't get see most of it. The deals are pretty crazy because of the signing bonuses but they aren't anywhere near as bad as people are making it seem.

From the last one of these.
                      Your absolutely right, NFL contracts don't mean much except for the guaranteed money which is all these FA's are likely to receive. The rest of the contract like Clements, he'll never ever see that money. It has become just good publicity to make the contracts a lot bigger than they really are.
                      What has me interested is, just how are a lot of these teams paying these huge guarantees going to handle their own future FA's when they have spent all their money this year. They aren't going to have the same kinds of money available next year as all the TV contracts are settled. I guess the Denver's and the NE's know what they are doing, I sure hope so for their sakes.

I could see a lot of holdouts this training camp as teams try to calm down their veterans who could come to camp generally pissed seeing an inferior player playing beside them for a lot more money. It could be very disruptive on teams which invested heavily in FA's and could seriously backfire on a lot of teams.
                      Last edited by Iamcanadian; 03-07-2007, 07:24 AM.
                      And proud of it!!!

Comment

• its ridiculous... almost as ridiculous as baseball... hopefully it calms down in the years to come

Go Ravens!

Comment

• Originally posted by jkpigskin View Post
                          its ridiculous... almost as ridiculous as baseball... hopefully it calms down in the years to come
                          I'm hoping it will as well but I'm not sure. Teams will have less cap room next year because the cap won't be going up as much as it has the last two years. That should bring prices down. However FAs next year will want the same money that players of similar talent and position got this year. So we'll see.

Comment

Working...
                          X

Debug Information