No announcement yet.

Difference between Cover 2 and Tampa 2?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between Cover 2 and Tampa 2?

There is a difference correct? What is it?
    Last edited by LarryJohnson27; 03-04-2007, 04:25 PM.

Something like in the Tampa 2 the MLB drops back farther into coverage or something.

Comment

Originally posted by ny10804 View Post
      Something like in the Tampa 2 the MLB drops back farther into coverage or something.
      Exactly what I thought, but I wasn't sure if that was all.

Comment

in the tampa 2 the safties split out further to the sideline and the MLB drops back further inbetween the safties. It almost requires a saftey type coverage Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by energizerbunny View Post
          in the tampa 2 the safties split out further to the sideline and the MLB drops back further inbetween the safties. It almost requires a saftey type coverage Mike.
          Well put...aka why the Bills let London Fletcher walk.

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
            Well put...aka why the Bills let London Fletcher walk.
            usually you want a tall Mike in the Tampa 2 as well. Since it will make it harder to throw over him. This is one of the reaons Urlacher is so successful in this system.

Comment

Originally posted by energizerbunny View Post
              usually you want a tall Mike in the Tampa 2 as well. Since it will make it harder to throw over him. This is one of the reaons Urlacher is so successful in this system.
              Yes, plus Fletcher really isn't a good coverage LBer, he's more of a thumper. Also, he isn't that good in "flying to the ball," he is more likely to let the runner come to him.

Comment

They're pretty much the same thing these days. The Tampa 2 just takes away one of the weaknesses of the Cover 2. Teams don't run a Madden-style cover 2.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                Originally posted by njx9
                do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Patrick Willis should be a big target for these teams, i think he is on the Bills list. He is nice and tall and a good coverage MLB
                  --Four Norse Men of the Apocalypse--
                  ......Allen Wlliams Williams Edwards......
                  .......--Future Riders in waiting--........
                  ......Robinson Evans Guion Mitchell......

Join this football simulator...its pretty sweet. http://goallineblitz.com/game/signup.pl?ref=13176733

Comment

Tampa 2 is a variation of the cover 2. Sort of like asking what the difference between the basic 46 and bears 46 is. Its taking one, and making adjustments to it. If those adjustments are good (which they were) it becomes the norm of that scheme.

Comment

the Difference Is That Cover 2 Sucks & Tampa 2 Owns

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Just because it's called Tampa 2 doesn't mean only Tampa runs it....I've seen Lofa Tatupu drop pretty far many times.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by etk View Post
                          Just because it's called Tampa 2 doesn't mean only Tampa runs it....I've seen Lofa Tatupu drop pretty far many times.
                          Indy, Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, and Tampa run that type of system (I'm sure there are more but I can't think of them).

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
                          Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

That exaplains why two years ago Gary Brackett (i think it was him, could be cato June as well) had so many picks. Dropping back that far into coverage would allow him to have more opportunities.

Comment

Tampa 2 vs. Cover 2

In the Tampa 2 the MLB essentially becomes the middle safety, making it like a Cover 3 defense. To execute this style of defense, a team has to have a very athletic MLB whose primary responsibility is to cover the deep middle of the field, while the secondary responsibility is to help out in run support. Few MLB's come to mind that can execute both responsibilities well enough (Urlacher, Vilma, Tatupu). Energizerbunny had a point about having a taller MLB, but that's more of a secondary trait to the speed (what good does a 6'4" linebacker have if he can't get 20 yards back; note that Urlacher has the speed and the height coveted).

What the MLB does is check to see if the tight end or slot receiver is running any sort of route up the deep middle. If they see a deep middle route developing, the MLB covers the deep middle receiver (or the deep middle zone if the receiver leaves that zone).

Because of the personnel preferences (small, fast front 7, bigger CBs and hard hitting safeties), one way to exploit the tampa 2 is to run the ball up the middle or off-tackle. The design concedes 4 yards/carry if you take it, with the normal 7-vs-7 box. A more specific way is the draw up the middle, making sure the tight end releases as if he were running a passing route. This draws the MLB up the middle, leaving a larger hole for the RB to run through.

Because of the responsibility of the MLB to drop deep into coverage, he often becomes the main target of offensive game-planners to exploit in the passing game. The primary way to attack it right now is to high-low the MLB. In the super bowl, Indy sent Dallas Clark up the middle on seam routes all day, lifting Urlacher up into the deep middle zone. This left the short middle zone open for Rhodes and Addai to catch little dump off passes for 5-10 yards a pop, consistently moving the chains.

Here's a couple links to help:
                              Introducing Cover 2/Tampa 2:
                              http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ram...hp?p=167&cat=1

Running against the Colts (Tampa 2 scheme):
                              http://www.footballoutsiders.com/200...inicamps/4772/

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information