Chiefs acquire Mike Vrabel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiefs acquire Mike Vrabel

Per Adam Schefter, Patriots are trading Mike Vrabel to the Chiefs pending a physical.

New Englandís Pro Bowl linebacker Mike Vrabel is in Kansas City undergoing a physical so that he can then be traded to the Chiefs. General manager Scott Pioli is reaching out to bring in a player familiar with his system, and New England is a willing trade partner.
    http://blogs.nfl.com/category/adam-schefter/

Wow, that is surprising, but then again, not so much considering he's a FA next year.
    Breed's QB Philosophy:
    Originally posted by Breed
    At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy

Comment

My thoughts on this are mixed. On the one hand, it makes sense from a performance perspective - Mike Vrabel didn't really get it done on the field last year and even in the season where he had 12.5 sacks (2007), most of those were coverage/garbage sacks where he either had six years to get to the quarterback or it was well-designed by Belichick so that he had a clear path for the sack. He's also 33 years old and won't get any better.

I'm still sad to see him go, though. This makes New England's need for a linebacker even worse, and it reminds me of when Willie McGinest left although I think I was more sad to see McGinest go. He was a real leader in the locker room, by some accounts, Mike Vrabel is one of the most unpopular Patriots, believe it or not. Congratulations to the Chiefs on getting a nice player, though. Good luck to Vrabel as well.

Comment

I hear ya, Vrabel is one of my favorite guys. Maybe if they can swing a 2nd or 3rd out of KC they feel this year's OLB core is deep enough to replace him, or maybe they have alot of faith in Crable.

**This does shave 3mil off the cap.
        Last edited by BradysKnee; 02-27-2009, 02:20 PM.
        Breed's QB Philosophy:
        At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy

Comment

Another smart move by the Pats. To get anything for Vrabel at this point is good. He was totally washed up last year, imo.

Comment

Do you honestly believe Vrabel is worth a 2nd or a 3rd? Come on.

It better be a 5th or lower.

Originally posted by fenikz
            His soft D really turns me off
            ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

5th rounder maybe.
              my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
              <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
              <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
              <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
              Originally posted by Hermstheman83
              What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

If it's a late round pick for a player who can play in the 3-4 and provide veteran leadership it's a decent move. Which is what I expect it is, it seems like a financial move by the Pats.

Comment

Originally posted by vidae-KC View Post
                  Do you honestly believe Vrabel is worth a 2nd or a 3rd? Come on.

It better be a 5th or lower.
                  No, but if it is a 5th or lower, I'd be pissed personally, he would've provided quality depth if nothing else. a 3rd-4th is what I'm hoping for, would be thrilled if its a 2nd.
                  Breed's QB Philosophy:
                  At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy

Comment

Originally posted by BradysKnee View Post
                    No, but if it is a 5th or lower, I'd be pissed personally, he would've provided quality depth if nothing else. a 3rd-4th is what I'm hoping for, would be thrilled if its a 2nd.
                    a 2nd lol go play in traffic
                    <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                    What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by BradysKnee View Post
                      If the Chiefs give up a 2nd or a 3rd when we're a 2-14 team, that would be RIDICULOUS, especially for a 33 year old LB who has a few years left.

I'd still be pretty pissed if it was a 4th. Pioli is no idiot, as you should well know. I expect it to be a 5th or lower.

Originally posted by fenikz
                      His soft D really turns me off
                      ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

I'dtake Vrable, Seymour and Cassel for number 3 overall :D

Comment

Mike Vrabel's play has certainly diminished in recent years, but man, what a clean beard.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                          - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                          www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

Basically think of it this way:

- Patriots likely would have released Vrabel
                            - Vrabel would be courted by Eric Mangini
                            - Belichick does not like Mangini
                            - Pioli runs Chiefs, a very young team
                            - Pioli needs 3-4 pieces and veteran leadership
                            - Belichick likes Pioli
                            - Trade for a 4th-5th
                            - ???
                            - Profit!

Comment

Also, the Patriots just lost long snapper Lonie Paxton to the Broncos. Shoot.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information