*An NFL Player Rating Project*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *An NFL Player Rating Project*

*In a collaborative effort to quantify the unquantifiable, let's rate NFL players.

*This is for the "X is better than Y" arguments. Let's try to get to some consensus as to who is better between X and Y. Obviously, most arguments will have to end with an agreement to disagree. That's OK- just leave it at that- I'll try to make one unbiased final call on the rating.

*Ratings are subjective- remember this too! There are no right answers. There will always be some level opinion in a rating, but we are aiming for the best interpretation of the "rating" of each NFL player.

*What we are rating- Production (stats + non-statistical performance), skills, talent, intangibles, athleticism, success- WE ARE NOT ADJUSTING RATINGS BASED ON OFF-FIELD OR TEAM CHEMISTRY-RELATED ISSUES because we don't know the real story of each and every individual involved with every situation.

*Obviously it will be tough to rate players who haven't played much (Owen Schmitt), but we'll do our best to project (this is a draft site, right?)

*I want feedback and help but don't blast anyone for rating people incorrectly in your opinion. Provide an argument why he should be rated higher or lower and if the proof is there along with others that agree, the rating will change.

*Overall ratings. Here is the scale:

99 = Elite HOF player in the prime of his career. Probably THE greatest ever at his position. Dominant beyond comprehension. Think Michael Jordan. No one in the league is currently there.

98 = Elite HOF player in the prime of his career with everything in his game. Minor flaws that make him human.

95-97 = Only the best players in the league. These are probable HOF talents with little or no weaknesses. This rating is not thrown around to every pro bowler.

90-94 = Most "star" players will fit in this category. An all-pro talent with few weaknesses.

86-89 = Arguably all-pro talent but with some questions. Solid starter-quality players at the very least.

80-85 = Solid starter-level talent.

75- 79 = Fringe starter/solid reserve-level talent.

70-74 = Solid reserve-level talent.

60-70 = A reserve-level player not best suited to start.

50-60 = A fringe reserve-level player who could either just play specials or be on the practice squad.

<50 = Bad player.
    *These should not be like Madden ratings (where everyone is rated way too high).

*Extra notes
    (U) = Upside. This isn't for every young player. This is for guys who have shown so much that they could potentially move up to the elite level of their position (88-99 range). Think Matt Ryan, Calvin Johnson, Ryan Clady or Adrian Peterson.

I'll start with the QBs to get the ball rolling:

QB
    P. Manning, Colts- 98
    T. Brady, Patriots- 98
    D. Brees, Saints- 93
    T. Romo, Cowboys- 88 (Lower?)
    P. Rivers, Chargers- 87
    J. Cutler, Broncos- 87
    D. McNabb, Eagles- 87
    K. Warner, Free Agent- 86
    C. Palmer, Bengals- 86
    B. Roethlisberger, Steelers- 85 (Higher?)
    E. Manning, Giants- 84
    A. Rodgers, Packers- 84
    M. Hasselbeck, Seahawks- 83
    M. Ryan, Falcons- 83 (U)
    M. Schaub, Texans- 80
    M. Bulger, Rams- 80
    K. Collins, Titans- 79
    D. Garrard, Jaguars- 79
    C. Pennington, Dolphins- 79 (Lower?)
    J. Flacco, Ravens- 78
    M. Cassel, Chiefs- 77
    J. Delhomme, Panthers- 76
    J. Campbell, Redskins- 76
    T. Edwards, Bills- 74
    J. Russell, Raiders- 74
    S. Hill, 49ers- 73
    S. Rosenfels, Vikings- 72
    Last edited by gpngc; 03-02-2009, 03:21 AM.
    "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Roethlisberger an 85?

Romo, Cutler and Rivers deserve better ratings because?

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Chad Pennington's not even a solid started? That's funny. I wonder how a fringe level starter had the second best QB rating in the league. I'd say he's mid-high 80's at least. These categories confuse me though, just cause a person isn't in the "prime" of there career doesn't mean they can't still be amongst the best.
      Last edited by dolphinfan2k5; 03-02-2009, 02:45 AM.

Comment

Personally I'd put Hasselbeck at a 87 or so.

I'll try a few MLB's I guess since it's my favorite position. I'm not doing this in order of who I think is in the top 5 or top 10.

Patrick Willis - 94
        Ray Lewis - 94
        Brian Urlacher - 92
        Jon Beason - 92
        Lofa Tatupu - 90
        Demeco Ryans - 89
        Jerod Mayo - 89 (I really love this guy already)
        James Farrior - 87
        Jon Vilma - 86

I'll work on this more later.

Originally posted by Tebowfan85
        too bad the Sea hawks are starting Hasselback and not Whitehorsest (sp)They are gonna loose any ways .

Comment

Barrett Ruud - 99

Comment

Originally posted by dolphinfan2k5 View Post
            Chad Pennington's not even a solid started? That's funny. I wonder how a fringe level starter had the second best QB rating in the league. I'd say he's mid-high 80's at least. These categories confuse me though, just cause a person isn't in the "prime" of there career doesn't mean they can't still be amongst the best.
            I think I'm for bumping up Penny a little bit. I think 80 is fair. Anyone else?

Also on second glance think Romo is too high at 88.

A 99 does not mean a player is amongst the best. It means he is the best RELATIVE to the history of the league. Which is why he probably would be in his prime. I mean I guess it's possible that he's not, but...

Everyone is taking my ratings scale to literally- it is just there as a guideline so nickel CBs aren't rated 84.

As for the Big Ben 85. IDK- the QB debates are so difficult to come to a solid conclusion on. Team success is a small part of the criteria but the rating is simply "who is better". If you ask me, Cutler is better than Ben even though Ben has had more success. This is where the debate gets hairy/fun. What does everyone else think about the Rivers/Romo/Cutler/Ben quagmire? The thing is I'm pretty sure if you asked 5 people there would be 5 different rankings of the players... should we just rank them all 87 and get on with it? That's what this project is for us to decide...
            "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

C. Palmer - 99
              C. Ocho Cinco - 99

YES, THAT JUST HAPPENED.

No, but in all honestly I think rankings are hard in the NFL because it's such a team sport. in the NBA you might have 1 player who can just dominate a court by himself, but that's clearly not true in the NFL. Would certain QB's be ranked higher if they had better running backs, better receivers, better offensive linemen or even a better defense (or... a worse defense?)

Anyways, it can still be a neat concept, but I just always found that football is the hardest sport to rank players in.

Comment

One problem I have with rating players is how many players fluctuate from game to game, season to season. Kurt Warner went from best QB in the league to dealing with health issues and not playing particularly well to back to pro bowl calibre. Guys like Eli Manning and DeAngelo Hall can play like Pro Bowlers one game and stink the next.

Also, durability needs to be part of the evaluation. A guy like John Abraham can be elite when healthy, but he also has seasons when he misses several games and takes a hit when on the field because of nagging injuries.

Comment

Daunte Culpepper 74
                  Kevin Smith 80
                  Jerome Felton 73
                  Calvin Johnson 96
                  Bryant Johnson 76
                  Michael Gaines 71
                  Jeff Backus 75
                  Stephen Peterman 68
                  Dominic Raiola 77
                  Edwin Mulitalo 73
                  Gosder Cherilus 73

Dwayne White 78
                  Cory Redding 81
                  Shaun Cody 65
                  Cliff Avril 71
                  Ernie Sims 84
                  Paris Lenon 72
                  Alex Lewis 71
                  Anthony Henry 73
                  Travis Fisher 67
                  Gerald Alexander 76
                  Kalvin Pearson 72

Jason Hanson 93
                  Nick Harris 75
                  Last edited by Michigan; 03-02-2009, 07:30 PM.
                  I'm a state.

Comment

Originally posted by OneToughGame View Post
                    Patrick Willis - 94
                    Ray Lewis - 94
                    Brian Urlacher - 92
                    Jon Beason - 92
                    Lofa Tatupu - 90
                    Demeco Ryans - 89
                    Jerod Mayo - 89 (I really love this guy already)
                    James Farrior - 87
                    Jon Vilma - 86
                    Ray is easily a 97 - the only thing that puts him outside of a 98 is that he's past his prime.

Willis has a long way to go before being on Lewis' level for a career.

And Tony Gonzalez might be a 99 I'm not sure about records and what not, but doesn't he hold most of them for TE's? He's probably the most dominant TE in a while at the very least.

Comment

Seriously? Trent Edwards 74???

Comment

Originally posted by sbh15 View Post
                        Ray is easily a 97 - the only thing that puts him outside of a 98 is that he's past his prime.

Willis has a long way to go before being on Lewis' level for a career.

And Tony Gonzalez might be a 99 I'm not sure about records and what not, but doesn't he hold most of them for TE's? He's probably the most dominant TE in a while at the very least.
                        If this is based on strictly today, then 'for a career' and records doesn't really matter. 'he's probably the most dominant TE in a while'...stating some good stuff.

Sorry to be sarcastic, but this post doesn't seem to be on target to me.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
                        You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

Originally posted by gpngc View Post
                          I'll start with the QBs to get the ball rolling:

QB
                          P. Manning, Colts- 98
                          T. Brady, Patriots- 98
                          D. Brees, Saints- 93
                          T. Romo, Cowboys- 88 (Lower?)
                          P. Rivers, Chargers- 87
                          J. Cutler, Broncos- 87
                          D. McNabb, Eagles- 87
                          K. Warner, Free Agent- 86
                          C. Palmer, Bengals- 86
                          B. Roethlisberger, Steelers- 85 (Higher?)
                          E. Manning, Giants- 84
                          A. Rodgers, Packers- 84
                          M. Hasselbeck, Seahawks- 83
                          M. Ryan, Falcons- 83 (U)
                          M. Schaub, Texans- 80
                          M. Bulger, Rams- 80
                          K. Collins, Titans- 79
                          D. Garrard, Jaguars- 79
                          C. Pennington, Dolphins- 79 (Lower?)
                          J. Flacco, Ravens- 78
                          M. Cassel, Chiefs- 77
                          J. Delhomme, Panthers- 76
                          J. Campbell, Redskins- 76
                          T. Edwards, Bills- 74
                          J. Russell, Raiders- 74
                          S. Hill, 49ers- 73
                          S. Rosenfels, Vikings- 72
                          The last 4 shouldn't even be on the list.

sig by fenikz
                          Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
                          You are just a terrible person.
                          Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                          I have an iPhone.

Comment

Originally posted by vikes_29 View Post
                            The last 4 shouldn't even be on the list.
                            last 5 shouldnt
                            RIP Sean Michael Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
                              If this is based on strictly today, then 'for a career' and records doesn't really matter. 'he's probably the most dominant TE in a while'...stating some good stuff.

Sorry to be sarcastic, but this post doesn't seem to be on target to me.
                              I don't take any offense, but nowhere does it say this is based strictly on today.

In fact, some of the ratings are based on being the greatest at a position all time.

I could understand your point otherwise, but I didn't understand this to be today's ratings.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information