Bucs sign Derrick Ward

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brent View Post
    So is Cadillac officially a bust because of injuries or something?
    Hes just gets hurt to dam much. I dont think you can count on him

Comment

Originally posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
      Yeah because we are high on Bradshaw and Ware. Worse comes to worse we draft a rookie as well. It would beyond foolish to have brought Ward back and pay that much for him.
      Maintaining the #1 run game in the NFL for 10 mil (apparently 9 as Ward wanted 3 a year from the Giants) a year is "beyond foolish"?

Comment

Damn, low risk high reward signing for the Bucs. Very good deal for them, perfect compliment back for Cadillac and it doesn't cause a huge cap hit. I don't think Ward will be the same player he was though. He has some talent, but he doesn't have a monster of a man softening up the defense for him.

Originally posted by bearsfan_51
        Show me your Wang, if you will.

Comment

I think Ward is really talented. I've been impressed with him since last year, and he should be able to run for 1,000 yards in his sleep as a full time starter.
          aka KGB Chicken

Comment

He is still going to split a bit with Earnest Graham.

Follow Me on Twitter!
            https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

Derrick Ward and Earnest Graham are going to make a solid Duo. Very nice signing for Tampa, Liking what their doing with that Offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                Maintaining the #1 run game in the NFL for 10 mil (apparently 9 as Ward wanted 3 a year from the Giants) a year is "beyond foolish"?
                Obviously the Giants and Reese feel the same way. Bradshaw is more explosive, better agility, younger, and can shake off more tackles. It is foolish to pay that much for a back when we have Bradshaw waiting. Even the little bit you see in Ware you can see his first 3 steps are explosive too. Why overpay a 29 year old when we can play and develop 2 younger backs? Clearly the Giants were thinking the same thing.

Comment

i'm interested to see what he can do. I mean it's obvious a very LARGE percent of his success last year was running behind the Giants superb OL and running on tired D's from Jacobs trucking everyone, but kids got talent and I'm interested to see what he can do out of NY. good luck Ward, thanks for all your time here, wear that ring proud and make sure Ronde shows Tiki it...
                  We ALL bleed scarlet
                  New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                  UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                  Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                  BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
                    Obviously the Giants and Reese feel the same way. Bradshaw is more explosive, better agility, younger, and can shake off more tackles. It is foolish to pay that much for a back when we have Bradshaw waiting. Even the little bit you see in Ware you can see his first 3 steps are explosive too. Why overpay a 29 year old when we can play and develop 2 younger backs? Clearly the Giants were thinking the same thing.
                    3 million a year for a thousand yard running back (with 5.6 ypc) hasn't been overpay since Independence Day was in theaters.
                    Last edited by Crickett; 03-02-2009, 11:39 PM.

Comment

3 million a year for a thousand yard running back (with 5.6 ypc) hasn't been overpay since Independence Day was in theaters.
                      Yeah but he running behind an elite OL, and elite FB, and another RB who is helping the cause by hurting the defense before he comes in. When two backs go over 1,000 yards, that's mainly due to A) the running concepts involved, Power, Power G, G, Toss, Iso, and Lead and B) the talent of the OL. It was good to let him go and plug and chug with Bradshaw and Ware.

Comment

Look beyond the stats and assess the situation he had in New York.

Comment

I really wish him the best and think Tampa is a very good spot for him because they have a good young oline to run behind a big strong RB to wear defenses down for. He's a true jack of all trades, master of none and he helps you in a lot of different ways, but that doesn't make him worth much to a team who's got a great lead back ad behind him have a young explosive back who should be able to replace Ward as a receiving back with a good offseason and is already as productive of a runner, not even mentioning that he's far more explosive and tougher to bring down.

Comment

Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
                            Look beyond the stats and assess the situation he had in New York.
                            If all people looked at was the stats, 4 million a year would seem like the bargain of the offseason.

Comment

Great signing considering he came cheaper than Michael Clayton. With Caddy injured again and Clifton better off returning, we needed someone to split carries with Graham. With Ward, we can now use our 3rd and 4th rd picks on defense instead of looking at guys like James Davis and Andre Brown.
                              save Freeman

Comment

If all people looked at was the stats, 4 million a year would seem like the bargain of the offseason.
                                That's why you look past the stats and realize it's just a good solid deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information