Tony Sheffler on the Block...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bronco in UT View Post
    Bye the way, how do you feel about us potentially moving Sheff? I really think he is a good player, but McD's offense is predicated on WRs versus TEs.....
    IIRC, his offense is the spread version of the Erhardt-Perkins system... there's plenty of latitude to use more of the base system and run 2 TE sets if he wants to.

The bigger issue is blocking. Scheff just doesn't fit the mould. Wierdly enough (considering how pass-happy the Pats have been), the roots of McDaniels' system are very much smash-mouth, so the TE is expected to be a good blocker. Combine that with a reputation for being fragile and I can see why he'd be on the trade block.

Any team running a West Coast offense (or some derivative) should take a very close look at him, as he can do a lot of damage in the right situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Diehard View Post
      IIRC, his offense is the spread version of the Erhardt-Perkins system... there's plenty of latitude to use more of the base system and run 2 TE sets if he wants to.

The bigger issue is blocking. Scheff just doesn't fit the mould. Wierdly enough (considering how pass-happy the Pats have been), the roots of McDaniels' system are very much smash-mouth, so the TE is expected to be a good blocker. Combine that with a reputation for being fragile and I can see why he'd be on the trade block.

Any team running a West Coast offense (or some derivative) should take a very close look at him, as he can do a lot of damage in the right situation.
      Sheff is particularly suited for getting up the seam QUICKLY. He is stellar in that role (when healthy), which opens up the crossing routes for receivers that can get some YAC. He would be well suited for a team running the west coast....

Comment

Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
        I wonder if the Falcons look at him. LJ Smith is visiting Detroit and I dont know anymore if he will be a Falcon. While the Falcons need a more well balanced TE, it wouldn't hurt to have a great receiving threat over the middle like Scheffler.

This is what I was thinking. I could definitely see this move now that it seems we aren't going to get LJ.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
          This is what I was thinking. I could definitely see this move now that it seems we aren't going to get LJ.
          I don't see it though. His blocking skills are inadequate and blocking is very important for our scheme.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

How bad is Scheffler's blocking? Obviously it's difficult to pinpoint the blocking of a TE for another team.

If his blocking is non-existent, then I doubt the Falcons go for it. On the other hand, there aren't really any well-rounded TEs in the draft, except in the 1st, so if it's for a 3rd or 4th then I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea.
            TD 2011 catch-phrase: "explosive"

Comment

Originally posted by PACKmanN View Post
              The Eagles should consider sending their 4th round pick for him.
              chuuuuuuuch

Comment

Meh, Scheffler can't even stay healthy.

Plus this is a good TE class.
                Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by PACKmanN View Post
                  The Eagles should consider sending their 4th round pick for him.
                  We already have someone just like him in Brent Celek.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                    Meh, Scheffler can't even stay healthy.

Plus this is a good TE class.
                    That's why I don't mind parting with him for a third or fourth. Can prolly get a better TE for the system with the pick.

Sig by the sigmaster BoneKrusher. Each one is a masterpiece
                    Originally posted by BaLLiN72
                    i wish NFLDC had something like "wall to wall" where we could see Brodeur and Job's conversations.
                    Originally posted by Job
                    NFLDC would be jizzing itself non-stop.

Comment

I could see the giants sending a fourth for him, he'd be a great compliment to the bossman and we could teach him to block. Plus we have a **** ton of picks and have pretty good depth at most positions.

Comment

Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
                        I don't see it though. His blocking skills are inadequate and blocking is very important for our scheme.
                        Smith is probably just as bad and we had interest in him.

Comment

Not sure if this is just hearsay, but I just read on the Broncos forum (different than this one) that the Broncos and Eagles have tentatively worked something out. They (ESPN) expect the deal to be done later this evening or early tomorrow....

Comment

No way could you get a third rounder. He's a one deminsional 26 year old tight end. At the best you're looking at late 4th-5th.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco in UT View Post
                              Not sure if this is just hearsay, but I just read on the Broncos forum (different than this one) that the Broncos and Eagles have tentatively worked something out. They (ESPN) expect the deal to be done later this evening or early tomorrow....
                              McNabb for Cutler? lol

But seriously I'm curious to see if it's true, but a message board isn't really a reliable source, especially if they don't have a link.

Edit: Nevermind, I guess your saying it has to do with Scheffler? If so I'm not too happy.

Comment

I'd Hate to see him go, him and Cutler developed some great chemistry their rookie years. I think he was really misused even when healthy. He should have been out there more than Graham.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                                Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                                Originally posted by njx9
                                do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information