Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Briggs demands a trade.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2788148

"The Chicago Bears team? The coaches, players, city and fans? Yeah, I could stay there forever. I love it. But the Chicago Bears organization? I don't want to be there anymore. I won't play for them and I'll do everything in my power to keep from playing there."
    -- Lance Briggs

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
    they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
    Hint:Not the Bears.

I don't think he gets a trade. What team will want to give up a high pick just to be able to give him at least 18 million guaranteed?

Comment

wow. I know he was pissed off, but I didn't think he'd take it this far. Is he really this angry about that franchise tag? or is there something else going on?

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
      don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

The problem with the franchise tag this year is that it is considerably less than what one would make on the open market compared to other years. The average of the top 5 players at a position doesn't take into account what players could get this year. Adalius Thomas' contract would certainly inflate that average.

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
          The problem with the franchise tag this year is that it is considerably less than what one would make on the open market compared to other years. The average of the top 5 players at a position doesn't take into account what players could get this year. Adalius Thomas' contract would certainly inflate that average.
          Didn't the bears try to re-sign him? I'm guessing they did offer him quite a good deal.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC

Comment

The average of the top 5 was always lower than what a player could get in FA, this is because the average only counts last year's salary, not the signing bonus a FA deal would bring, it isn't just this year.

Picky I know, I'm just bored :P

Comment

Hmm shaking up things. My mock will definitely change if Briggs jumps ship. I don't know who would be willing to give up that much though.

Hitman D

Comment

Hot air. Didn't Thomas Jones pull a similar rant? The Bears will just ignore him. Do the same thing they did with Jones. Once he sees he lost the battle, he'll play. Done and done.

Its hard to force your hand when the opposition holds all the strings. Briggs has no control over his situation.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                  Hot air. Didn't Thomas Jones pull a similar rant? The Bears will just ignore him. Do the same thing they did with Jones. Once he sees he lost the battle, he'll play. Done and done.

Its hard to force your hand when the opposition holds all the strings. Briggs has no control over his situation.
                  Well the thing is, let's say (for argument's sake) a team wants Briggs so bad they're willing to pay the picks... Should Chicago in that case refuse, or run with it?

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post

Still its unneeded drama. If Briggs really feels this way he will at least miss all of training camp. Which will then probably lead to him being inactive the first game or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
                      Well the thing is, let's say (for argument's sake) a team wants Briggs so bad they're willing to pay the picks... Should Chicago in that case refuse, or run with it?
                      Run with it. They already felt confident that they have able backups to replace him. Plus getting extra picks allows them to address multiple needs. Its a team sport, theres more to the Bears than Briggs, who many feel is a system player anyway.

Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                      Still its unneeded drama. If Briggs really feels this way he will at least miss all of training camp. Which will then probably lead to him being inactive the first game or two.
                      It is unnecessary true. But he won't miss a beat. The scheme is pretty simple, its plug and chug. He can miss all of training camp, as long as he stays in shape he'll be fine. If he misses a game, its no biggie. The Bears won't lose that game because he wasn't there.

Comment

I doubt Briggs gets a trade, but this very much ups the likelihood that Briggs is absolutely gone next season. It is unfortunate for him because of the amount of money being spent on older players (A Thomas), and he's missing out. There's no guarantee that there will be a bunch of teams with that much to spend next offseason...

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
                          I doubt Briggs gets a trade, but this very much ups the likelihood that Briggs is absolutely gone next season. It is unfortunate for him because of the amount of money being spent on older players (A Thomas), and he's missing out. There's no guarantee that there will be a bunch of teams with that much to spend next offseason...
                          He knows that with a weak LB crop in this draft, and a weak FA market with lots of money, he was gonna cash out big time if he wasn't franchised. Thats why he's so mad. He lost alot of money this offseason after he got the tag.

The only team I see crazy enough to make something happen is the Redskins. But they already have McIntosh, so I don't see it happening.

Comment

I agree with all that has been said. Briggs holds very little power in this situation. If he doesn't show up by the middle of training camp, he won't get paid.

That being said, I understand Briggs' complaints. He played out the remainder of his contract without complaint and with the market as such he wants to cash in and make the 20 million guaranteed that he would likely get. If he's not traded I fully expect him to miss most of training camp. I'll be the first to say now that I totally understand that as well. But for 7.2 million as opposed to nothing, he will eventually show up.

All this being said, expect Angelo to shop him around. He's always said that he doesn't want players on the team that don't want to be here but he's also not going to lose a great player for nothing. Angelo is a very smart GM, he'll do well for the Bears and hopefully Briggs can get what he wants too.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
                              IF they wanted to continue franchising him, I think they easily could.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information