Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eagles sign S Sean Jones to 1 year deal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
    There wasnt much interest at all and he only signed a one year deal. Those knees def. scared more than a few teams off.
    Shouldn't of scared us off, he was exactly what we needed, and exactly the type of deal we needed to give him, he could battle it out with whoever we picked in the 2nd round and would give us some end of the year options...Certainly wanted to lean this direction then tinkering with moving Scandrick around.





    Originally posted by Scott Wright
    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
      Shouldn't of scared us off, he was exactly what we needed, and exactly the type of deal we needed to give him, he could battle it out with whoever we picked in the 2nd round and would give us some end of the year options...Certainly wanted to lean this direction then tinkering with moving Scandrick around.
      I tend to agree...for one year, I wouldnt have minded gambling either. We literally have no one at safety outside of Hamlin. He's really not as good as a lot the Cowboy fans have been making him out to be but, I certainly agree we could have used him. Starting a rookie safety selected from round 2 on scares the hell out of me. It's not like we even have any depth.

      I will say, though...I'd have to actually know what he got before I fully agree here. If he got like close to $4-$5 million for a year, we couldnt even afford that, in addition to Igor.
      Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 03-06-2009, 05:21 PM.

      Thanks BoneKrusher^

      http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
      KO KNOWS

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
        I tend to agree...for one year, I wouldnt have minded gambling either. We literally have no one at safety outside of Hamlin. He's really not as good as a lot the Cowboy fans have been making him out to be but, I certainly agree we could have used him. Starting a rookie safety selected from round 2 on scares the hell out of me. It's not like we even have any depth.

        I will say, though...I'd have to actually know what he got before I fully agree here. If he got like close to $4-$5 million for a year, we couldnt even afford that, in addition to Igor.
        Well we couldn't get something done with him.... We were busy courting Olshansky.

        Comment


        • #19
          This is a really good signing by the Eagles even though I thought they would give Quentin Demps a try next year.
          Originally posted by 49erNation85
          I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
            Well we couldn't get something done with him.... We were busy courting Olshansky.
            I was speaking hypothetically...we figured the Igor deal would get done but, a lot of guys still wanted Jones as well. Jones got $3 million...it's arguable if we could have got something like that done because, of the Igor signing. I'm not so sure...it may have been doable but, the money is really tight. We may be done in FA now. It sure would be nice to add a veteran safety some how, though.

            Thanks BoneKrusher^

            http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
            http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
            KO KNOWS

            Comment


            • #21
              Best part about this for the Eagles is that this will essentially be another contract year but this time he is surrounded by top tier DB talent being coached by one of the best in Jim Johnson.
              Originally posted by Paul
              Eli's opportunity to become a legend.
              Originally posted by Vikes99ej
              These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
              MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

              Comment


              • #22
                I think Sean Jones may be a bit overrated by the general public here because of his draft stock and upside coming out of college. He has put up numbers but has been injury prone and inconsistent in his play. He's a pretty average player, though he has shown some promise during his career. I expect a battle with Jones and Demps for the starting spot, though I expect Jones to come out victorious.

                If anyone can get the best out of Jones, it's Jim Johnson who has done a lot with DB's over the years. Still, this isn't Brian Dawkins, even in his older age. Jones has potential if he can stay healthy and show some signs of being a consistent player. A nice stop-gap signing for the Eagles though that allows Demps to develop.

                big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Number 10 View Post
                  Best part about this for the Eagles is that this will essentially be another contract year but this time he is surrounded by top tier DB talent being coached by one of the best in Jim Johnson.
                  Not to mention he'll be coached by arguably the NFL's best secondary coach in Sean McDermott

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I don't think anyone is making him out to be much of anything, but the fact that the Eagles signed him on a one year deal is what really bugs me. We did the exact same thing with Ken Hamlin, not too long after he had gotten beaten close to death, and he played amazing. Not saying that's what will happen with Jones, but the talent and opportunity is there for him to do so. And it will be at little to no risk.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
                      I don't think anyone is making him out to be much of anything, but the fact that the Eagles signed him on a one year deal is what really bugs me. We did the exact same thing with Ken Hamlin, not too long after he had gotten beaten close to death, and he played amazing. Not saying that's what will happen with Jones, but the talent and opportunity is there for him to do so. And it will be at little to no risk.
                      I made that same exact comparison in the conversation about him earlier.

                      In a way, Jones and Demps will battle for a starting job, but not directly. Mikell can play either, and it will come down to how the team thinks it'll fit best. If they think having Jones at SS and Mikell at FS is better Jones "wins" the battle, but if the team feels it'll be best with Demps as the FS and Mikell as the SS, then Demps "wins". They aren't competing for the same spot, but because of Mikell's versatility they will be competing for a starting spot...
                      Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

                      Rest in Peace, themaninblack

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Really pissed that the Falcons didn't do a similar deal...
                        TD 2011 catch-phrase: "explosive"

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X

                        Debug Information