Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cowboys sign DE Igor Olshansky

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Damn it

    Comment


    • #17
      Solid signing for them.

      He'll be stout against the run and they won't miss Canty all that much. They really could use a pass rushing presence on that dline though.

      Their pass rush relied so heavily on Ware and Ratliff last year. With Ellis becoming ancient, and Spencer thus far disappointing (although Im a Spencer fan), they need to draft a dlinemen.

      I don't know what to make of Dallas just yet. Losing TO makes them a dangerous team now, but at the same time, they still have this guy:

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by JBond93 View Post
        They are, yes.
        Hmm... Then yeah... I think they could've used a DE like Igor. Tank Tyler at NT with Dorsey at DE... but who on the other side???

        What happens is that it's not like every team out there has a chance to match offers that are out there. Teams pursue FAs aggressively and then try to sign them before they have a chance to leave.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
          Solid signing for them.

          He'll be stout against the run and they won't miss Canty all that much. They really could use a pass rushing presence on that dline though.

          Their pass rush relied so heavily on Ware and Ratliff last year. With Ellis becoming ancient, and Spencer thus far disappointing (although Im a Spencer fan), they need to draft a dlinemen.

          I don't know what to make of Dallas just yet. Losing TO makes them a dangerous team now, but at the same time, they still have this guy:

          Eh, that guy got our defense playing pretty amazing last season, so i'm not too worried. Instead of him, you should have put a picture of the ginger. He's who will hold us back, not Wade.

          Comment


          • #20
            Oh **** you, Igor.

            Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
              Eh, that guy got our defense playing pretty amazing last season, so i'm not too worried. Instead of him, you should have put a picture of the ginger. He's who will hold us back, not Wade.
              The Ginger isn't the HC though. Wade's issues aren't his coordinating, its his management skills.

              A HC is so much more than just a coordinator. From the offseason lifting programs, to rules and discipline, to film room study to team management, establishing a mentality within the team etc.

              Wade epically fails at all of the above. He's a doormat in that regard.

              I wouldn't sleep on the Cowboys. I think now with TO gone, they can be a dangerous team. The only thing holding them back is Wade Phillips imo, and the soft mentality he brought and infested his team with.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                The Ginger isn't the HC though. Wade's issues aren't his coordinating, its his management skills.

                A HC is so much more than just a coordinator. From the offseason lifting programs, to rules and discipline, to film room study to team management, establishing a mentality within the team etc.

                Wade epically fails at all of the above. He's a doormat in that regard.

                I wouldn't sleep on the Cowboys. I think now with TO gone, they can be a dangerous team. The only thing holding them back is Wade Phillips imo, and the soft mentality he brought and infested his team with.
                Well thanks for the insight, i always thought HC's just showed up Sundays and told people what to do.

                Why do you feel that Wade is a "doormat" in those areas? Where's the evidence you've used to come to that conclusion? The Ginger is the one that was in charge of the offense that was horribly stagnant and predictable last year, and what cost us games and the playoffs. That's why we're scared of what he'll do.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                  Solid signing for them.

                  He'll be stout against the run and they won't miss Canty all that much. They really could use a pass rushing presence on that dline though.

                  Their pass rush relied so heavily on Ware and Ratliff last year. With Ellis becoming ancient, and Spencer thus far disappointing (although Im a Spencer fan), they need to draft a dlinemen.

                  I don't know what to make of Dallas just yet. Losing TO makes them a dangerous team now, but at the same time, they still have this guy:

                  I agree with this sentiment. Even though we lead the league in sacks last year with 54, we need Spencer to step his game up. I personally have doubts with the guy, but I'm patiently waiting.

                  I see what you mean about needing more pass rush on the DL, but I think they will be addressing NT and not necessarily DE in the draft. I'm thinking a guy like Ron Brace... and moving Ratliff to DE.

                  As for Wade... his contract is over after the season. It's doubtful his contract gets renewed as a HC, but Jerry might keep him on as DC. He probably won't find another HC job for the rest of his career, so stepping down as DC in a place as comfortable for him as Texas makes sense. There's a reason why Jerry hasn't hired a DC this offseason... he's keep that spot available for Wade in the future, so he doesn't have to fire a guy and can keep consistency in the Defensive scheme/philosophy. Who that new HC will be??? My guess.. Shanny... Ironic seeing as Shanny was brought in to replace Wade in Denver, ain't it? Jerry has an affection for Shanny... every training camp the last few years, we've held scrimmages with Denver because of their relationship. Add in the fact that Jerry keeps talking about putting Romo in the best situation to perform well... I'll tell ya... There isn't a better offensive system for Romo than the WCO. Favre, Hassellbeck, Steve Young... This Ernie Zampese offense that Garrett runs is not the best system for our personnel... and won't work here for long.

                  That said... this is all my own personal outlook on things.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
                    green bay's one of those teams who builds almost exclusively through the draft. 20 of their 22 starters were either drafted by the pack or not starters until they were in green bay, so it's no surprise they are a little picky about signing free agents. kansas city is similar but not to nearly the same degree. I think they have some bigger fish to fry before they worry about signing an average 3-4 LDE.
                    whose that?

                    anyway isn't KC base defense staying in a 4-3? like the Cards?
                    Last edited by PACKmanN; 03-06-2009, 09:29 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                      The Ginger isn't the HC though. Wade's issues aren't his coordinating, its his management skills.

                      A HC is so much more than just a coordinator. From the offseason lifting programs, to rules and discipline, to film room study to team management, establishing a mentality within the team etc.

                      Wade epically fails at all of the above. He's a doormat in that regard.

                      I wouldn't sleep on the Cowboys. I think now with TO gone, they can be a dangerous team. The only thing holding them back is Wade Phillips imo, and the soft mentality he brought and infested his team with.
                      Yep. Wade is a good DC, but as a HC, he stinks. He wanted to hire ole buddy, Dan Reeves just to be a buffer between him and Garrett because Garrett doesn't listen. LOL. Jerry wanted Reeves because Garrett doesn't have the expertise that comes with experience.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
                        Well thanks for the insight, i always thought HC's just showed up Sundays and told people what to do.

                        Why do you feel that Wade is a "doormat" in those areas? Where's the evidence you've used to come to that conclusion? The Ginger is the one that was in charge of the offense that was horribly stagnant and predictable last year, and what cost us games and the playoffs. That's why we're scared of what he'll do.
                        Well, if youre Wade Phillips, you don't even do that much...

                        He's the HC. If he has a problem with the Ginger's playcalling, he can grab the duties away from him. He's ultimately accountable for that.

                        Thats the same reason why I ultimately blame Coughlin for our playcalling. While Killdrive is just as much of a douche as Ginger is, its ultimately Coughlin who is accountable for it bc he allows it to happen without protest.

                        Evidence? There were articles about it towards the end of the season, im sure youve read them. Not fining players for being late, soft treatment of stars, constantly making excuses for his players etc. All of that adds up.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Brent View Post
                          Oh **** you, Igor.
                          I really thought the 9ers were gonna pursue him. Thankfully, they spent their time wooing Kurt Warner.

                          My real question is how did the Packers let him leave GB without signing??? Was their offer lower?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                            Well, if youre Wade Phillips, you don't even do that much...

                            He's the HC. If he has a problem with the Ginger's playcalling, he can grab the duties away from him. He's ultimately accountable for that.

                            Thats the same reason why I ultimately blame Coughlin for our playcalling. While Killdrive is just as much of a douche as Ginger is, its ultimately Coughlin who is accountable for it bc he allows it to happen without protest.

                            Evidence? There were articles about it towards the end of the season, im sure youve read them. Not fining players for being late, soft treatment of stars, constantly making excuses for his players etc. All of that adds up.
                            Most HC's have the power to do that... and Wade actually did do that to our DC Brian Stewart. But the difference is Wade brought on Stewart... Jerry brought on Ginger... gave Ginger that dumb contract... Wade had no control over offensive play calls.

                            What was more hilarious than anything though... Romo overriding Wade's decisions to go for it on 4th down. I still laugh at Wade's face when he said, "You can't do that..." lmao. Zero control on offense. Zilch.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                              I agree with this sentiment. Even though we lead the league in sacks last year with 54, we need Spencer to step his game up. I personally have doubts with the guy, but I'm patiently waiting.

                              I see what you mean about needing more pass rush on the DL, but I think they will be addressing NT and not necessarily DE in the draft. I'm thinking a guy like Ron Brace... and moving Ratliff to DE.

                              As for Wade... his contract is over after the season. It's doubtful his contract gets renewed as a HC, but Jerry might keep him on as DC. He probably won't find another HC job for the rest of his career, so stepping down as DC in a place as comfortable for him as Texas makes sense. There's a reason why Jerry hasn't hired a DC this offseason... he's keep that spot available for Wade in the future, so he doesn't have to fire a guy and can keep consistency in the Defensive scheme/philosophy. Who that new HC will be??? My guess.. Shanny... Ironic seeing as Shanny was brought in to replace Wade in Denver, ain't it? Jerry has an affection for Shanny... every training camp the last few years, we've held scrimmages with Denver because of their relationship. Add in the fact that Jerry keeps talking about putting Romo in the best situation to perform well... I'll tell ya... There isn't a better offensive system for Romo than the WCO. Favre, Hassellbeck, Steve Young... This Ernie Zampese offense that Garrett runs is not the best system for our personnel... and won't work here for long.

                              That said... this is all my own personal outlook on things.
                              I think ideally youd love to have Brace, and move Ratliff, but do you see him falling that far? I don't think he'll be there when its Dallas turn at bat.

                              I might be a minority in this, but I personally think Dallas should switch to a 4-3 front but still incorporate a lot of ZB.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                                I really thought the 9ers were gonna pursue him. Thankfully, they spent their time wooing Kurt Warner.

                                My real question is how did the Packers let him leave GB without signing??? Was their offer lower?
                                I never knew he came for a visit, i thought we were just interested in him. I think it came down to playing in a big market and a similar system. IMO, the only teams that really had a chance were the 49ers and Cowboys.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information