Cowboys sign DE Igor Olshansky

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
    I dunno, Brooking is just as old and tired as Zach is. The only upside he has over Zach is familiarity with the scheme. He didn't even play well in the scheme back then, btw.

The problem with the Brooking signing is now even if you do draft a young upcoming guy, he'll have to sit behind Keith. Wade isn't going to favor a rookie over Brooking, so all he's really going to do is hinder your defense.

Whatever happened to Pat Watkins? I thought he had a lot of promise...
    Firstly...this draft class is pretty bad to begin with when looking for the ILB type we need. Right now, we need someone who can come in and take over for Brooking on passing downs...aka, Kevin Burnett 2.0. haha. Also, it's not really a bad thing that we brought Keith in...it's not like we have high selections, you could have hurt yourself even more by trying to start a 3rd or 4th round pick at the position.

Secondly...we dont have anyone to play opposite Hamlin, so as far as draft need goes, safety is at the top of that list. So, that 2nd rounder of ours is more than likely going there...thus, limiting the search/talent at ILB for us.

As for Brooking, he actually performed very well in Wade's scheme. He actually had two of his best, if not the best seasons of his career under Wade. 2002/2003. I also wouldnt downgrade that of familiarity...Zach admitted that he never felt comfortable playing the MO and was often out of position or found himself overmatched. I'd also say, although Keith isnt the Keith of old, he def. has more in the tank left than Zach does/did.

As for Pat, he did have some nice promise but, he is constantly injured now and has seemed to slow down significantly. He hasnt really made much progress from his rookie season. Maybe he could surprise but, his career path has been rather disappointing after showing all that promise his rookie year. There arent many that would project him as our starter next season.
    Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 03-07-2009, 08:57 AM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
    KO KNOWS

Comment

Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
      Firstly...this draft class is pretty bad to begin with when looking for the ILB type we need. Right now, we need someone who can come in and take over for Brooking...aka, Kevin Burnett 2.0. haha.

Secondly...we dont have anyone to play opposite Hamlin, so as far as draft need goes, safety is at the top of that list. So, that 2nd rounder of ours is more than likely going there...thus, limiting the search/talent at ILB for us.

As for Brooking, he actually performed very well in Wade's scheme. He actually had two of his best, if not the best seasons of his career under Wade. 2002/2003. I also wouldnt downgrade that of familiarity...Zach admitted that he never felt comfortable playing the MO and was often out of position or found himself overmatched. I'd also say, although Keith isnt the Keith of old, he def. has more in the tank left than Zach does/did.

As for Pat, he did have some nice promise but, he is constantly injured now and has seemed to slow down significantly. He hasnt really made much progress from his rookie season. Maybe he could surprise but, his career path has been rather disappointing after showing all that promise his rookie year.
      My bad, im not all there yet this morning lol. I was thinking about the DE, whats his name, that plays for Seattle now. Kerney?

I got my white guys confused haha.

Inside backers aren't that difficult to find though. You can always get one in the middle rounds. You won't get an elite guy, but all you really need is a run stuffer that can play some decent zone, and you can definitely find one of those.

I remember thinking Watkins had a promising future. I particularly liked his long frame at SS, where he can man up on TEs and come down to support the run.

The Cowboys as a whole, outside of RB and TE, have serious serious depth issues. You better pray your team stays healthy, because depth is a very serious concern for that team.

Comment

My bad, im not all there yet this morning lol. I was thinking about the DE, whats his name, that plays for Seattle now. Kerney?

Inside backers aren't that difficult to find though. You can always get one in the middle rounds. You won't get an elite guy, but all you really need is a run stuffer that can play some decent zone, and you can definitely find one of those.

I remember thinking Watkins had a promising future. I particularly liked his long frame at SS, where he can man up on TEs and come down to support the run.

The Cowboys as a whole, outside of RB and TE, have serious serious depth issues. You better pray your team stays healthy, because depth is a very serious concern for that team.
        Unless they're really counting on Bobby...we'll need to find someone who can play a little more than decent in zone coverage. I agree with the other things you said, depth is a bit alarming. I dont think it's really that bad at DE, though but, others would tend to disagree. But I like what I see in Bowen, and Hatcher has made some plays here and there. As for everywhere else. blah. Especially safety.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
        http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
        KO KNOWS

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
          I really thought the 9ers were gonna pursue him. Thankfully, they spent their time wooing Kurt Warner.
          Actually, I figured that they weren't going after him but I am just upset that now I have to hear about it from my roommate who's a huge Cowboys fan. And he can get annoying about it, to the point that I root against the Cowboys haha.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Our depth is damn ugly. While I do think we helped our QB depth with the addition of Kitna, we done nothing else to shore up our depth adequately. The area of depth that concerns me most of all is the OL. Not many other Cowboys fans are behind me in thinking that OL is a major need. I'm terrified of it. We have nothing behind Flozell... nothing behind Gurode... nothing behind Columbo. At guard, at least we have 3 capable starters in Davis, Holland and Kosier...even McQuistan looked ok at Guard against Philly, but at Tackle and Center we have issues. I'm ok with our receivers because we're at the point where we have a bunch of bodies and need some to emerge (Austin/Hurd/Stanback/Bennett). If anything a mid to late round pick should suffice in finding us a speedy depth threat. I love Brandon Tate and Johnny Knox for example. Defensively, we also have a lot of work... but at least we only have 1 starting spot to fill heading into the draft at Safety. This Igor and Brooking signings so far have helped that cause.

Comment

How amazing would it be to have Barbie finally man up and play well? Personally, i'd be as giddy as a school girl if it were to happen. With all the depth issues we have, it would be nice to have one of our first round picks pan out.. Then again, i was just as hopeful that Roy Williams could ever play like his rookie year again.

Comment

Finally, something I can be happy about this offseason (other than the release of a scrub or two)!!!!

BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                  and as for Igor...his agent denied any big time interest from the Packers, despite earlier reports of him gearing up for a visit there.
                  I didn't see any of those reports. Ever since Canty was signed and talks about Igor started we knew that the Packers weren't interested.

Comment

....Aint as good as Canty

Good pickup by you guys
                    LOUD & PROUD

NY GIANTS 4X SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kase1 View Post
                      ....Aint as good as Canty

Good pickup by you guys
                      Canty ain't as good as $42M over 5 years.

Comment

Working...
                      X

Debug Information