Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LT, Bolts agree to restructured 3-year deal

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ers/index.html

Running back LaDainian Tomlinson's career as a Charger will last at least one more season, as the franchise's career rushing leader told SI.com Tuesday night that he's agreed to a restructured three-year contract that according to L.T. benefits both sides. Terms were not immediately available.

"I'm happy to remain a Charger," Tomlinson said. "I look forward to trying to win a championship here."

good move on both sides IMHO. Sorry Drew Brees.

Comment

Should have come down to "The Big Easy".

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

There goes that.

Beanie Wells or Malcolm Jenkins at 14 plz!
        The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Alright baby!

Comment

I am pelvis thrusting so hardcore right now

Comment

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

The deal, which concludes nearly two weeks of contract talks, will also allow Tomlinson to make the $6.725 million he was scheduled to earn this season. That amount was originally in base salary, but has been restructured to be part signing bonus and part salary to help the team create room under the salary cap. Tomlinson’s pay for this season had been a sticking point because his backup, Darrren Sproles, is scheduled to make $6.6 million this season as a result of the one-year tender for being designated with the team’s franchise tag.

As part of the deal, Tomlinson also reworked the final two years of the contract to help the Chargers. Tomlinson will reduce his base salaries of $8 million in 2010 and $9.275 million in 2011. Tomlinson will be able to earn the money back in incentives. In addition, some of his contract will be converted to a roster bonus payable in March 2010, forcing the Chargers to have to make an earlier decision on whether to keep him.
              __________________________________________________ ___________

I would just like to point out the bolded part. First, Sproles hasn't signed the tag yet because he's working on a long term deal with the Chargers so LT is still the highest paid running back on the team. Second, the NO rumours made no sense because LT would have been the second highest paid running back after Reggie Bush if he left there. So if his pride about money was keeping from restructure with the Chargers, why would he sign with NO?

Third, I would just like to point out that Mike Florio is an idiot and has always bashed LT. Even when negotiations were just beginning, he still decides to make things up about LT leaving due to contract reasons.

Comment

Do you hear that? That noise in the distance is Drew Brees weeping.
                Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                RIP themaninblack

Comment

I still can't believe they tagged Sproles.

Comment

Sproles hasn't signed the franchise tender yet, he will most likely do what Suggs did and sign the long term deal later.

Comment

Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
                      I still can't believe they tagged Sproles.
                      Why wouldn't they? There's almost no chance Sproles signs it until camp begins anyways. What it does is it buys the Chargers time to work out a long term deal. The argument I keep hearing is that it's risky because Sproles may sign it. But the reason he hasn't yet is because he gains more by getting a long term contract, one that guarantees him more money, though not necessarily as much per year. I think that's the big misconception that people have about the franchise tag. They don't understand why players like Sproles would rather sign a long term contract where he may make less per year compared to the franchise tag. The answer is all in the guaranteed money. In the end, it's a smart move by an organization because the probability is in their favor.

Now, on the other hand, if a player gets injured (like Drew Brees did at the end of 2005), then using the franchise tag would have been stupid because that player would have immediately signed it. Sproles, however, is healthy and stands to gain more by waiting for long term deal (because if he signs that tag and gets injured at the end of the year, he loses out on more money and financial security).

Comment

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                        Why wouldn't they? There's almost no chance Sproles signs it until camp begins anyways. What it does is it buys the Chargers time to work out a long term deal. The argument I keep hearing is that it's risky because Sproles may sign it. But the reason he hasn't yet is because he gains more by getting a long term contract, one that guarantees him more money, though not necessarily as much per year. I think that's the big misconception that people have about the franchise tag. They don't understand why players like Sproles would rather sign a long term contract where he may make less per year compared to the franchise tag. The answer is all in the guaranteed money. In the end, it's a smart move by an organization because the probability is in their favor.

Now, on the other hand, if a player gets injured (like Drew Brees did at the end of 2005), then using the franchise tag would have been stupid because that player would have immediately signed it. Sproles, however, is healthy and stands to gain more by waiting for long term deal (because if he signs that tag and gets injured at the end of the year, he loses out on more money and financial security).
                        Why would he want to sign long term when they just gave LT a new deal?

I don't think he can be a full time starter in the NFL but I'm sure he will try to and will ask for starter money some where else.

Comment

Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
                          Why would he want to sign long term when they just gave LT a new deal?

I don't think he can be a full time starter in the NFL but I'm sure he will try to and will ask for starter money some where else.
                          Because no one is going to pay him Turner money. And he's better as a utility player than a full time starter. Additionally, it's in his own interest to get financial security. Like I said before, what happens if he gets injured during the year? He'll lose out on making possibly twice as much guaranteed money.

Of course, the Chargers don't have to sign him to a long term deal. The other option is to trade him to a team that will give him starter money. I personally don't see the Chargers paying him the franchise tag money. In the end, it's either a long term deal or a trade.

Comment

glad to hear this.some guys should never play a game in another team's uni and LT is one of them IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                              Because no one is going to pay him Turner money. And he's better as a utility player than a full time starter. Additionally, it's in his own interest to get financial security. Like I said before, what happens if he gets injured during the year? He'll lose out on making possibly twice as much guaranteed money.

Of course, the Chargers don't have to sign him to a long term deal. The other option is to trade him to a team that will give him starter money. I personally don't see the Chargers paying him the franchise tag money. In the end, it's either a long term deal or a trade.
                              I agree that he is better as a utility player but it doesn't matter what we think what matters is what he and his agent think.

I would not be shocked at all if his agent is telling him to play on the tag and test FA next year I for one really don't see him signing a new deal with SD.
                              Last edited by Splat; 03-10-2009, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information