Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JBond93 View Post
    He ruined him by...picking him?
    Hiring two consecutive guys who he knew planned on implementing an offense that in no way was fit to Joey Harrington's skills.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

Matt Millen is one of the biggest pieces of **** to ever grace the fropnt office of a NFL franchise. He single handedly destroyed a franchise that had the picks and oppertunities to become a contender and a force in the NFL. Go back and look at those picks and look at their needs to correspond with those picks and the players that were drafted afterwards. Its an absolute disgrace that a man like that was allowed to destroy a franchise and then allowed to leave without being a arrested for stealing peoples money.

Should we go back and look at what they had an oppertunity to take, it will make you absolutely sick. Let's just say they could have had Andre Johnson (2002 1rst Rnd), Jay Cutler (2006 1rst Rnd), Jamaal Brown (2005 1rst Rnd), Calvin Johnson (finally the right pick), Casey Hampton (2001 1rst Rnd), Quentin Jammer (2002 1rst Rnd), Clinton Portis (twice 2002 2nd Rnd), Anquan Boldin (2nd Rnd 2003), Rashean Mathis (2003 2nd Rnd) and Jason Witten (2003 3rd Rnd) all in the same draft after the Lions made their choice and all three positions were of high need.

In 2004 they chose Roy Williams which is looked at as a decent pick, but when you look back th eplayers they passed up on, especially if they had made the right choices the previous years with their recievers they could have taken Jonathan Vilma, Tommie Harris, Shawn Andrews or Will Smith, not too mention Vince Wilfork who would have helped them tremendously.

In 2005 Matt Millen decided to take a shot at another WR in Mike Williams. A player that hadn't played in 1 full year yet the great Millen thought this kid, along with dummy Kiper, to be a red zone freak that would be a TD catching machine. Well he wasn't, and the needs they passed on to try and help Harrington more were DeMarcus Ware, Shawn Merriman, Jammal Brown, Thomas Davis (who could have made the change to LB just as he did in Carolina and still would have been a huge upgrade to their LB corps) or they could have gone the easy route and take an athletic freak in Derrick Johnson who was widely considered the best LB prospect in the 2005 draft. In the 2nd round Millen chooses a mediocre tiered prospect who would have been a 5th or 6th rounder had he not played for the SC Trojans. Shaun Cody was picked over players that were needed to shore up their weak secondary. Nick Collins, Ronald Bartell, Klvin Hayden, Oshiomogho Atogwe and Ellis Hobbs were all passed on. They also passed on Lofa Tatupa when they needed a presence in the middle of the defense LB corps. They passed on Michael Roos when they needed a legit long term answer at the ORT position and Roos was widely considered a terrific small school guy along with passing on OT Khalif Barnes who was considered a 1rst rounder by some.

In 2006 they chose Ernie Sims, and yes Sims is one of the better up and comers in the league, but with Joey Harrington being done in Detroit and the verdict was out that he was a bust they had an oppertunity to take Jay Cutler or at the least Matt Leinert. Now I have a feeling that Leinert would have been the pick, but you can't help but think that Cutler was there and ther Lions needed to explore those scenerios. But they didn't and went smallish LB instead, that had the hype of being the next Derrick Brooks.

In 2007, they finally made the right choice in Calvin Johnson, but as great as Calvin is, nd don't get me wrong, he is outstanding and one of the premiere WE in the league, they still could have had Joe Thomas, who in this day and age is more valuable then a WR. I know, I know, a Calvin is a once in a lifetime player, but he can't have an impact without a QB and a QB can't have an impact without a legit premiere OLT. Joe Thomas was the pick, but an elite WR is a great consolation prize..LOL

Cherilus has a lot to prove, but they were forced into taking him, so I will give him some slack and maybe he will turn into a solid run blocking mauler, but if thats what they were looking for then Jeff Otah should have been their choice. Otah looks to be the next Kareem McKenzie, a big nasty mammoth tackle that is a terrific road grader.

Matt Millen is the reason, the sole reason why the Detroit Lions are the worst team in the NFL and it looks to be a long slow rebuilding process. Only the Rams and Chiefs have had a pitiful draft picks over the same amount of time, and you can see how a bad GM making bad draft piks can effect a franchise.

Comment

I wouldn't say the sole reason. Ford definitely deserves some credit for that failure.
        Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

I heard that when he blew out the candle at his birthday party he wished for a wide receiver.

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
            He ******* ruined one of my favorite college QBs of all time, Joey Harrington. **** that guy.
            I think Joey's heart ruined him sadly.
            Originally posted by 49erNation85
            I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

Originally posted by TimDris View Post
              I wouldn't say the sole reason. Ford definitely deserves some credit for that failure.
              I agree, but the amount of nonsense and crap that he put forth onto the Destroit fans is almost criminal. The picks seemed more sporadic or acts of rebellion then making sound judgments on talent.

The whole Joey Harrington thing was just wierd. Joey had 1rst round grades, but top 3, I don't think so. PLus had Millen done his research instead of falling in love with a player because of a particular interview or character is just insane to say the least. Maybe Millen felt like JOey was the real deal because he had his mug on a 5 story banner in times square. Maybe Millen equated that to actual NFL talent.

And then the constant draft picks to help this kid, while the rest of the team suffered greatly. 3 receivers and 2 of which or out of the league was just the stuff that was national known and was a running joke, but the other drafts and signings and free agent deals were just as bad. Trades for players that made no sense. All of it was just one big pile of crap that stunk to high heaven and the only person that actually had power to do something about was some how hyptnotized by Millen. Ford didn't do anything until his son finally stood up and made a public statment about how horrible Millen was. Where the hell was this son 4 years ago when he saw that Harrignton wasn't working out yet Millen was in deep denial?

I mean, can you imagine if the Lions had gotten 75% of those picks right? They'd be a contender right now, and if they did have this pic coming up in April they can take Curry or the best player available instead of being pigeon hold into taking Matt Stafford.

Real quick we'll do this. I pick just a few picks right for them.

2002. 1rst Rnd Quentin Jammer
              2002. 2nd Rnd Clinton Portis

2003. 1rst Rnd Andre Johnson
              2003. 2nd Rnd Jason Witten

2004. 1rst Rnd (#2 1rst Rnd pick) Chris Snee

2005. 1rst Rnd Derrick Johnson
              2005. 2nd Rnd Michael Roos

2006. 1rst Rnd Jay Cutler
              2006. 2nd Rnd. Richard Marshall

2008. 1rst Rnd Kenny Phillips

If they had drafted those players, which were all huge needs at the time and add them to Jeff Backus (1rst 2001) & Shaun Rogers (2nd 2001), Roy Williams (1rst 2004) and because of the success of Clinton Portis you wouldn't have to draft Kevin Jones and there for draft a powerful inside offensive lineman and in 2004 Snee was one of the best inside lineman. In 2007 they can take Calvin Johnson. And because the Lions have Roos and Backus they can draft a Safety in 2008 to shore up their secondary to give them a center fielder instead of Cherilus.

Those draft picks were all needs going into to each year. And yet Millen went with hype over substance.

Imagine the Lions with those players to go along with some of the solid compliment players they have and you got yourself a legit contender that would challenge the Viks and Pack for the NFC North Division.

Comment

Originally posted by MarioPalmer View Post
                I agree, but the amount of nonsense and crap that he put forth onto the Destroit fans is almost criminal. The picks seemed more sporadic or acts of rebellion then making sound judgments on talent.

The whole Joey Harrington thing was just wierd. Joey had 1rst round grades, but top 3, I don't think so. PLus had Millen done his research instead of falling in love with a player because of a particular interview or character is just insane to say the least. Maybe Millen felt like JOey was the real deal because he had his mug on a 5 story banner in times square. Maybe Millen equated that to actual NFL talent.

And then the constant draft picks to help this kid, while the rest of the team suffered greatly. 3 receivers and 2 of which or out of the league was just the stuff that was national known and was a running joke, but the other drafts and signings and free agent deals were just as bad. Trades for players that made no sense. All of it was just one big pile of crap that stunk to high heaven and the only person that actually had power to do something about was some how hyptnotized by Millen. Ford didn't do anything until his son finally stood up and made a public statment about how horrible Millen was. Where the hell was this son 4 years ago when he saw that Harrignton wasn't working out yet Millen was in deep denial?

I mean, can you imagine if the Lions had gotten 75% of those picks right? They'd be a contender right now, and if they did have this pic coming up in April they can take Curry or the best player available instead of being pigeon hold into taking Matt Stafford.

Real quick we'll do this. I pick just a few picks right for them.

2002. 1rst Rnd Quentin Jammer
                2002. 2nd Rnd Clinton Portis

2003. 1rst Rnd Andre Johnson
                2003. 2nd Rnd Jason Witten

2004. 1rst Rnd (#2 1rst Rnd pick) Chris Snee

2005. 1rst Rnd Derrick Johnson
                2005. 2nd Rnd Michael Roos

2006. 1rst Rnd Jay Cutler
                2006. 2nd Rnd. Richard Marshall

2008. 1rst Rnd Kenny Phillips

If they had drafted those players, which were all huge needs at the time and add them to Jeff Backus (1rst 2001) & Shaun Rogers (2nd 2001), Roy Williams (1rst 2004) and because of the success of Clinton Portis you wouldn't have to draft Kevin Jones and there for draft a powerful inside offensive lineman and in 2004 Snee was one of the best inside lineman. In 2007 they can take Calvin Johnson. And because the Lions have Roos and Backus they can draft a Safety in 2008 to shore up their secondary to give them a center fielder instead of Cherilus.

Those draft picks were all needs going into to each year. And yet Millen went with hype over substance.

Imagine the Lions with those players to go along with some of the solid compliment players they have and you got yourself a legit contender that would challenge the Viks and Pack for the NFC North Division.
                The sad thing is that I can say that about Jacknsoville's front office in the past few years too. Byron Leftwich. Hugh Douglas. Reggie Williams. Matt Jones. Marcedes Lewis. Drayton Florence. Jerry Porter. David Garrard. The amount of guaranteed money that was given to these guys was absolutely disgusting.

I think it was BBD who brought up the concept that teams are like families. Good parents raise good kids. I.E. teams with structured, strong, financially supported front offices (like the Patriots, Colts, Cowboys, Chargers) create an environment that is conducive to rookie development. Some teams completely lack the ability to develop a young player - for whatever multitude of reasons there might be.

Comment

dude not trying to be a dick. but you can do that for any bust.

there wouldnt be a draft if everyone knew who was going to be good/bad.
                  Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

Haha, I got an idea, lets look back on everything and replace every pick in previous drafts with a 'best case scenario and 'knowing what we do now' approach and see how good we can make a team!! Sounds like a reasonable thing to do....

The one pick that i think was absolutely terrible that he made was Mike Williams, I didn't like that one from the get-go. The others i could see some rational for and things just didn't pan out (scheme for Harrington was probably his fault also as he never played to his strengths). Overall, he needed someone at WR to help him out, and didn't get any help from the players. Terrible GM forsure, but lets not play the 'he could have done this and got these players!!'. That is just stupid.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
                    You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
                      Haha, I got an idea, lets look back on everything and replace every pick in previous drafts with a 'best case scenario and 'knowing what we do now' approach and see how good we can make a team!! Sounds like a reasonable thing to do....

The one pick that i think was absolutely terrible that he made was Mike Williams, I didn't like that one from the get-go. The others i could see some rational for and things just didn't pan out (scheme for Harrington was probably his fault also as he never played to his strengths). Overall, he needed someone at WR to help him out, and didn't get any help from the players. Terrible GM forsure, but lets not play the 'he could have done this and got these players!!'. That is just stupid.
                      Not to mention the fact that if they had made those picks, they wouldn't have been in the high position to take the next guys anyways.
                      Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, Texas Longhorns

Comment

Originally posted by JBond93 View Post
                        He ruined him by...picking him?
                        Seriously. He would have been better off anywhere else.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by MarioPalmer View Post
                          dummy Kiper
                          Rule #14...

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                            Seriously. He would have been better off anywhere else.
                            Nope. Joey just stinks. He was sacked the least in 2002, 2003, and 2004 he had a 1,000 yard back and Roy. Sure he could have more pieces, but the guy didn't progress. It's up to the QB to carry the franchise on his back when you are picked 3rd overall and Joey was not a franchise QB. Sometimes you learn that out the hard way. He had Mooch too to teach him so I don't really blame the coaching. Joey is just a flat out bust anywhere he goes. Period.

Word was that Millen wanted Jammer and Old Man Ford stepped in. Mooch never liked Joey once he got here, hence Garcia in 2005.
                            Last edited by Maybe Next Year Millen2; 03-13-2009, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigburt63 View Post
                              Not to mention the fact that if they had made those picks, they wouldn't have been in the high position to take the next guys anyways.
                              That as well....

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
                              You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

Happy Birthday Mr. Millen!

Originally posted by bearsfan_51
                                Show me your Wang, if you will.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information