• Show
Clear All

• Rams release Torry Holt

http://www.stlouisrams.com/article/71044/

Rams Release Torry Holt
    Friday, March 13, 2009

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

The Rams said goodbye to a franchise icon for the second time this week when they officially released wide receiver Torry Holt on Friday after 10 seasons with the team.

"The Rams will forever be grateful for the way Torry Holt represented the Rams on the field and in the community," owner/chairman Chip Rosenbloom said. "He is an All Pro in every sense of the word. Over the past 10 seasons Torry has proven himself to be one of the finest wide receivers in league history. This is a difficult decision because Torry has meant so much to the organization. In my mind and for all Rams fans, Torry will always be a Ram and we wish him and his family nothing but the best as they move forward."

Speculation about Holtís future began during the 2008 season and it became clear that he was not in the teamís plans earlier in the offseason as it continues to re-shape the roster around young, ascending players.

Holtís release saves the Rams a significant amount of money under the salary cap for 2009. This year was the final year of Holtís contract and Holt was due to count $10.2 million against the cap. His release saves the Rams about $8 million in salary cap space.

A decision on Holt had to be made as the Rams would have owed him a $1.25 million roster bonus on March 17. After shopping him in trade to no avail, the team settled on cutting Holt before the bonus was due. In conjunction with tackle Orlando Paceís release on Tuesday, the Rams have saved more than $14 million with the two moves.

The move is more than a matter of economics, though, as the moves the team has made this offseason represent a shift toward younger players. Holtís number declined to their lowest point since his rookie season in 2008 when he finished with 64 catches for 796 yards and three touchdowns.

Before that, though, Holt has proved himself as one of the leagueís most productive and classiest players.

"Torry Holt has had an outstanding career here in St. Louis," general manager Billy Devaney said. "We thank Torry for the many things he has done for the Rams organization on and off the field."

In this decade, no receiver has put up better numbers than Holt. Since 2000, Holt has posted 817 receptions for 11,872 yards, the best totals of any wide out in the league in that time period.

In 158 career games, Holt has averaged 80.1 yards per game, the most per contest of any player in NFL history. Along the way, Holt has caught a pass in 153 consecutive games and ranks 11th in league history in receptions (869) and 14th in yards (12,660).

The Rams originally selected Holt with the sixth overall selection in the 1999 NFL Draft. Holt made an immediate impact as a rookie and over the first few years of his career, teamed with Isaac Bruce to form one of the most dominant receiving duos in league history.

The release of Holt and Pace leaves defensive end Leonard Little as the last remaining member of the team's 1999 Super Bowl championship squad.
    ---
    | Hawkeyes || Rams || Lakers || Braves || Avalanche |

What? Who do they have as receivers now?

He won't be on the market for long. I could see him in SF with Isaac Bruce again..

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
    WHO DAT!

Comment

Going to go kill myself now. :(

Comment

Donnie Avery, Keenan Burton, Derek Stanley, and a few other scrubs.
        | Hawkeyes || Rams || Lakers || Braves || Avalanche |

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post

He won't be on the market for long. I could see him in SF with Isaac Bruce again..
          Avery, Burton and I think Derek Stanley!

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post

Donnie Avery and maybe Drew Bennett? I can't remember if they cut him or not.

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS

Comment

Panthers maybe?
              Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

Originally posted by senormysterioso View Post
                Donnie Avery and maybe Drew Bennett? I can't remember if they cut him or not.
                Yeah the Rams cut Drew Bennett

Panthers, Titans, Giants, Jets, Bears and Ravens are the 6 teams I see having the most interest in Holt.

Comment

PPPlease mister, you've just got to cccome to Minnesota.
                  SKOL VIKINGS!

Comment

Ravens need to grab him
                    Originally posted by SunTzu_22
                    Just let it go RWO.
                    We as Ravens fans are clearly scum of the earth, and should just be happy that these great people, who cheer for nothing than the finest, morally impeccable players, playing on the finest, most morally impeccable teams, will grace us with their presence, and words of wisdom.

John Wall
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CbQGBbUOw

Comment

Come to Jacksonville, Torry!

Comment

Torry Holt,

To go to the Baltimore Ravens!

Comment

I was hoping we would get something for him in trade.

Sig made by Falcon from E Oakland

"Spread'em and Shread'em"

Comment

Torry Holt and Dwayne Bowe now that's a duo I can get behind

Comment

STL is not that far away from KC I'll come get you.:)

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information