No announcement yet.

Stallworth Detained In Pedestrian Fatality

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN is reporting that Stallworth flashed his lights... If he had time to react by flashing his lights, I would think he'd have time to slam the breaks or swerve. I guess that coulda done a whole lot more damage to other cars though. Just an all around crappy situation. I'm hoping realllllly hard he was sober and this was just an unfortunate accident. Dang.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whistler6 View Post
      ESPN is reporting that Stallworth flashed his lights... If he had time to react by flashing his lights, I would think he'd have time to slam the breaks or swerve. I guess that coulda done a whole lot more damage to other cars though. Just an all around crappy situation. I'm hoping realllllly hard he was sober and this was just an unfortunate accident. Dang.
      He could've been blocked in by other cars or a median or something.
      Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
      RIP themaninblack

Comment

• There's no justifying this. He was drunk, got behind the wheel, and hit a pedestrian in a crosswalk. If he was honestly not smart enough to call a taxi or even a teammate, why should he get off at all? Money is the root of all evil. Are there any reports that say how fast he was going? Because speeding after you know you had a few is probably up there for dumbest things ever.

Comment

• Around 50 mph in a 40 zone

#MoncriefArmy

Comment

• Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
            There's no justifying this. He was drunk, got behind the wheel, and hit a pedestrian in a crosswalk. If he was honestly not smart enough to call a taxi or even a teammate, why should he get off at all? Money is the root of all evil. Are there any reports that say how fast he was going? Because speeding after you know you had a few is probably up there for dumbest things ever.
            I'm definitely not trying to justify Stallworth on this. He did his wrong and he should and will have to pay for it. I'm just saying that there's still a possible situation where he may have not been able to stop even if he had been sober. I don't know if you were talking about me when you said that, just trying to clarify my statement.
            Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
            RIP themaninblack

Comment

There's no justifying this. He was drunk, got behind the wheel, and hit a pedestrian in a crosswalk. If he was honestly not smart enough to call a taxi or even a teammate, why should he get off at all? Money is the root of all evil. Are there any reports that say how fast he was going? Because speeding after you know you had a few is probably up there for dumbest things ever.
              It hasn't actually been released that he was drunk yet. It is just reports, the results of his blood test hasn't been released.
              I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
              Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

• Really, the fact that the guy wasn't in a cross walk might lower the sentencing a bit, but not much. Stallworth is going to have to pay out his ass to the victim's family regardless, but the fact that he said he flashed his lights and he wasn't in a crosswalk might make him avoid jail. Which is Rudy Cool.

Comment

• Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
                  Really, the fact that the guy wasn't in a cross walk might lower the sentencing a bit, but not much. Stallworth is going to have to pay out his ass to the victim's family regardless, but the fact that he said he flashed his lights and he wasn't in a crosswalk might make him avoid jail. Which is Rudy Cool.
                  See, I'm not completely sure what to think about jail time. Drunk driving is bad(if he was in fact drunk.) But the guy who got hit was in the process of breaking the law when he was killed. There are crosswalks for a reason, and that is to keep pedestrians safe.

But I am a callous, cold hearted bastard who has no regards for the "sanctity" of human life.
                  I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
                  Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by someone447 View Post
                    See, I'm not completely sure what to think about jail time. Drunk driving is bad(if he was in fact drunk.) But the guy who got hit was in the process of breaking the law when he was killed. There are crosswalks for a reason, and that is to keep pedestrians safe.

But I am a callous, cold hearted bastard who has no regards for the "sanctity" of human life.
                    Doesn't really matter that he wasn't in a cross walk. If I see someone steal a pack of gum, and I kill them, I will still go to jail. I mean, I think it's obvious Stallworth wasn't intending to kill anyone (unless he was playing Death Race, in which case, he wins), but even accidentally killing someone can bring a charge of manslaughter.

Like I said, the fact that the guy wasn't in the crosswalk will prolly keep Stallworth out of jail, but he is still going to have to pay a high price for this. If it turns out that he was even the littlest bit intoxicated, he absolutely should go to jail imo.

Comment

Awesome. Way to not read anything in the articles posted so far.

Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
                      Are there any reports that say how fast he was going?
                      There is one that says 50 in a 40, but how reliable that may be is unclear thus far.
                      Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
                      He was drunk, got behind the wheel, and hit a pedestrian in a crosswalk.
                      No reliable information as to whether or not he was drunk, and one report that the guy was not in a crosswalk.

Good gawd man, if you're going to play junior judge/jury/executioner, please at least follow along with the information that is available.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

• Originally posted by FlyingElvis View Post
                        Good gawd man, if you're going to play junior judge/jury/executioner, please at least follow along with the information that is available.

HE'S NOT JUDGE JUDY AND EXECUTIONER!!!!!

Sorry I couldn't resist. :D

Comment

Doesn't really matter that he wasn't in a cross walk. If I see someone steal a pack of gum, and I kill them, I will still go to jail. I mean, I think it's obvious Stallworth wasn't intending to kill anyone (unless he was playing Death Race, in which case, he wins), but even accidentally killing someone can bring a charge of manslaughter.

Like I said, the fact that the guy wasn't in the crosswalk will prolly keep Stallworth out of jail, but he is still going to have to pay a high price for this. If it turns out that he was even the littlest bit intoxicated, he absolutely should go to jail imo.
                          That is a horrible comparison...

A better comparison would be this. Someone goes into the store to steal a pack of gum, and the roof collapses, killing him, should the store be held liable? I don't think so because he was breaking the law. Same thing with someone drowning in your pool while trespassing, you shouldn't be held liable for that either.

If Stallworth wasn't drunk he shouldn't go to jail, period. It doesn't matter if the guy was in a crosswalk. Accidents happen, no use ruining two peoples lives. If Stallworth was drunk he should go to jail.
                          Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by someone447 View Post
                            That is a horrible comparison...

A better comparison would be this. Someone goes into the store to steal a pack of gum, and the roof collapses, killing him, should the store be held liable? I don't think so because he was breaking the law. Same thing with someone drowning in your pool while trespassing, you shouldn't be held liable for that either.

If Stallworth wasn't drunk he shouldn't go to jail, period. It doesn't matter if the guy was in a crosswalk. Accidents happen, no use ruining two peoples lives. If Stallworth was drunk he should go to jail.
                            Yea, I was rushing it before class, it was bad. But in your case, yes. The store is completely liable. It doesn't matter if the person was breaking the law. That does not negate their personal rights nor does it negate the store's liability. Likewise, just because the guy wasn't in a crosswalk, doesn't mean Stallworth has no liability in hitting him.

He may not go to jail, but he is definitely liable. When I was a kid, I got hit by a car crossing the street in front of my house, and the lady that hit me had to pay out her ass for it because she was at fault. I don't think she went to jail, but she also wasn't drunk and didn't kill anyone. I think it is absolutely justifiable to "ruin" Stallworth's life if he was drunk. If he wasn't, he still should have to pay a ton of money to the family.

Comment

• This is going to turn into a Leonard Little situation where he'll plead guilty to a lesser offense and serve misdemeanor time, or pay some fine. The same thing happened to Jim Leyritz and he was drunk. He'll be playing again either in 2009 or 2010.

^^Best Real Estate Salesman Ever^^

Comment

Yea, I was rushing it before class, it was bad. But in your case, yes. The store is completely liable. It doesn't matter if the person was breaking the law. That does not negate their personal rights nor does it negate the store's liability. Likewise, just because the guy wasn't in a crosswalk, doesn't mean Stallworth has no liability in hitting him.

He may not go to jail, but he is definitely liable. When I was a kid, I got hit by a car crossing the street in front of my house, and the lady that hit me had to pay out her ass for it because she was at fault. I don't think she went to jail, but she also wasn't drunk and didn't kill anyone. I think it is absolutely justifiable to "ruin" Stallworth's life if he was drunk. If he wasn't, he still should have to pay a ton of money to the family.
                                I know the store is liable according to the law, but I think that is a ridiculous law. If you are in the process of breaking the law, the law should not protect you. Just like I believe a person has the absolute right to shoot someone who has broken into their house, regardless of whether or not they are a viable threat.

This is just a matter of personal belief, I think it is completely wrong that someone who is committing a crime is protected by the same laws they are ignoring.
                                Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information