The New "Hines Ward" rule

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kalbears13 View Post
    Yeah he used his shoulder so I don't think that would get banned.
    It has been illegal to lead with the helmet for a very long time. The rule change is aiming at the head, not using yours.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Pussification of the nfl continues.

Comment

Originally posted by someone447 View Post
        It has been illegal to lead with the helmet for a very long time. The rule change is aiming at the head, not using yours.
        From the GIF it still looks as though he hits his upper chest. But I don't remember the hit or can find it anywhere else so I can't be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
          I hate it. The NFL is becoming a pussies only league.

This is football, not soccer folks. Anything other than blatant attempts to hurt someone (ex diving at knees unnecessarily, leading helmet first, etc) should be just fine.

But, this is the age we live in.....I guess it was inevitable.
          Hey Dick Butkus, how the hell is a blindside blow to the head not a blatant attempt to hurt someone?
          Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Really? Blindside blocks aren't needed in the game? People watch football for the big hits. Hell, I am speaking as a defender. Get hit like that once and you will get your head on a swivel from there on out.

I have absolutely no problem with those blocks. The defenseless receiver is a different story, because he has to be looking for the ball in the air. A defender is supposed to keep his head on a swivel at all times.
            It's blindside blocks to the head. Not in general.

Comment

I approve of this. Blindside blocks to the head are unnecessary. Just lead with your shoulder. There's no reason that offensive players shouldn't be held to the same standards that their counterparts on the defense are held to.

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                I approve of this. Blindside blocks to the head are unnecessary. Just lead with your shoulder. There's no reason that offensive players shouldn't be held to the same standards that their counterparts on the defense are held to.
                Leading with the helmet or shoulder is not the issue here. Leading with the helmet has been banned for a while, on either side of the ball. It is where the block is targeted. I don't think offensive or defensive players should have to avoid hitting someone on the helmet with their shoulder.
                I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
                Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

My issue with this?

It's a judgement call. Refs are going to have to make this call split decision ON THE FIELD.

They even said they still believe that Hines was a clean shot but it's hard to tell.. and they've had 6-8 Months and video replay and they're still unsure.

I want the rules more cut and dry... less of a way to have refs use their judgement when they might have been screened.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by The Legend View Post
                    Sounds like a good move. It's not really need in the game. And people get hurt by it.
                    What are you talking about? Not needed? Yea that makes sense. So on a crucial block to spring an RB, lets have players wait till the others are looking... please.

This is football, if its not helmet to helmet, it's legal and should stay that way.

Originally posted by SNIPER26
                    LaMarr Woodley, Norse God of Thunder/Baby Jesus/Killer of all things QB, set an NFL record by getting multiple sacks in three consecutive playoff games. Don't **** with LaMarr.
                    Pittsburgh Steelers....6 Time Champs!

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post

I think they are talking about blindsided blocks all together. Leadaing with your head is still a penalty.

Originally posted by SNIPER26
                      LaMarr Woodley, Norse God of Thunder/Baby Jesus/Killer of all things QB, set an NFL record by getting multiple sacks in three consecutive playoff games. Don't **** with LaMarr.
                      Pittsburgh Steelers....6 Time Champs!

Comment

My problem is that it's really hard to think about all this **** as a player. Someone who totally did not attend to do something dirty could be called easily. It's hard to control exactly where you're going to hit someone when you're going 1000mph. What if the other player is shorter than you? That makes it even harder.

Comment

Does anyone actually read the articles around here?

The proposal, according to Anderson and competition committee co-chair Rich McKay, is to try to eliminate or penalize any helmet-to-helmet contact that occurs on a blindside block.
                          They later say in the article that Hines Ward's block might not have been a penalty even if this rule was implemented.

A player suffered a season ending injury as a result of being blocked high as he was hit from his blindside. Obviously, it's something to take into issue as the rules comittee is reviewing this season.

The biggest impact a rule like this would likely have is on punt and kickoff returns when the returner reverses the field.
                          Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                          Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                          Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

Really? Blindside blocks aren't needed in the game? People watch football for the big hits. Hell, I am speaking as a defender. Get hit like that once and you will get your head on a swivel from there on out.

I have absolutely no problem with those blocks. The defenseless receiver is a different story, because he has to be looking for the ball in the air. A defender is supposed to keep his head on a swivel at all times.
                            Originally posted by captainjack27 View Post
                            What are you talking about? Not needed? Yea that makes sense. So on a crucial block to spring an RB, lets have players wait till the others are looking... please.

This is football, if its not helmet to helmet, it's legal and should stay that way.

Maybe you read it wrong "blindside block to the head of a defender"

So like I said there's no need for that. No reason to go after someone's head.
                            Last edited by The Legend; 03-20-2009, 04:01 AM.

Comment

It doesn't bother me much but I can say I enjoy a good hit by a WR. Hines Ward you bastard why did you have to break someones jaw.
                              Originally posted by SunTzu_22
                              Just let it go RWO.
                              We as Ravens fans are clearly scum of the earth, and should just be happy that these great people, who cheer for nothing than the finest, morally impeccable players, playing on the finest, most morally impeccable teams, will grace us with their presence, and words of wisdom.

John Wall
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CbQGBbUOw

Comment

I guess no one is worried about the other rules being passed like to many men on one side, for onside kicks. Or using less wedge guys.

They are just trying to deal away with helmet to helmet block, shoulder to helmet blind side block is A-okay.

Again this is another one of those dumbass gray rules, like forcing a WR out, if he didn't get pushed would he be able to get his feet in bounds? Then they finally make it clear that the WR has to be carried out, in order for the rule to apply.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information