The New "Hines Ward" rule

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FlyingElvis View Post
    Helmet to helmet contact is already a penalty and a fine. How is this rule proposal any different?

I think its now any hit leading to the head. Like even a shoulder to the head? Iono that was the impression I got too. Which confused me because helmet to helmet is already a penalty

Originally posted by SNIPER26
    LaMarr Woodley, Norse God of Thunder/Baby Jesus/Killer of all things QB, set an NFL record by getting multiple sacks in three consecutive playoff games. Don't **** with LaMarr.
    Pittsburgh Steelers....6 Time Champs!

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
      Well, considering that unless the height difference is great, someone really has to try to knock someone in the head with their shoulder.
      Except defenders are often times low in order to make a cut when they get blindsided.
      I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
      Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
        There's always fans who think they're tough when they disagree with rule changes that protect players from unnecessary injury. Everytime a rule like this is brought up they start in with "Grrr it's a contract sport! Injuries happen! I'm so tough sitting in my seat typing my disagreement to this rule! Who cares that I'm not the one out there taking the hits! I'm so tough!". The fact is when these rule changes get are put in to place it usually doesn't hurt the game. If it does, they can just change it back. A couple of years ago these tough fans were whining about the horse collar rule. Now that it's in place the only thing that's changed is players aren't getting their legs broken when some jackass defender decides to drag a player down by pulling back on the back of his jersey while falling onto the back of his legs. That rule didn't hurt the game at all that I can tell.
        Agreed. Everyone is tough until the laws of physics work against them and you end up with a career/season ending or brain injury. But hey, 'it's a contact sport'. Read the rule that they are suggesting, all it does is mitigate the possibility of needless injury. Good call IMO. I don't want one of my favorite players (or any player for that matter) taking an unnecessary (and illegal) hit if he doesn't have to. Clean shot injuries will still happen, but at least you can enforce that the ones they do take will occasionally be deemed to have crossed the line.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
        You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
          There's always fans who think they're tough when they disagree with rule changes that protect players from unnecessary injury. Everytime a rule like this is brought up they start in with "Grrr it's a contract sport! Injuries happen! I'm so tough sitting in my seat typing my disagreement to this rule! Who cares that I'm not the one out there taking the hits! I'm so tough!". The fact is when these rule changes get are put in to place it usually doesn't hurt the game. If it does, they can just change it back. A couple of years ago these tough fans were whining about the horse collar rule. Now that it's in place the only thing that's changed is players aren't getting their legs broken when some jackass defender decides to drag a player down by pulling back on the back of his jersey while falling onto the back of his legs. That rule didn't hurt the game at all that I can tell.
          If this rule was just outlawing helmet to helmet hits I would be all for it. I would rather they just get stricter on that aspect. But to outlaw shoulder pad to helmet hits is what I don't agree with.

The fact of the matter is, these people choose to play football, not to mention they are well compensated for it. I have had a couple concussions, and my back is ****** from playing football. But I knew what I was getting into when I did it. So do NFL players.

This is coming from someone who has taken those types of hits at a relatively high level. Does it suck when you get your bell rung? Of course it does, but it is also part of the game. What are the most memorable hits of all time? The ones when the helmet goes flying off, right? This has nothing to do with trying to act tough, at least for me. It has to do with them outlawing some of my fondest memories of watching football as a kid.
          I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
          Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
            Agreed. Everyone is tough until the laws of physics work against them and you end up with a career/season ending or brain injury. But hey, 'it's a contact sport'. Read the rule that they are suggesting, all it does is mitigate the possibility of needless injury. Good call IMO. I don't want one of my favorite players (or any player for that matter) taking an unnecessary (and illegal) hit if he doesn't have to. Clean shot injuries will still happen, but at least you can enforce that the ones they do take will occasionally be deemed to have crossed the line.
            Why does a shoulder pad to the helmet cross the line? If a defender is crouched down trying to change direction, avoiding the head is a very hard thing to do.
            Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by someone447 View Post
              If this rule was just outlawing helmet to helmet hits I would be all for it. I would rather they just get stricter on that aspect. But to outlaw shoulder pad to helmet hits is what I don't agree with.

The fact of the matter is, these people choose to play football, not to mention they are well compensated for it. I have had a couple concussions, and my back is ****** from playing football. But I knew what I was getting into when I did it. So do NFL players.

This is coming from someone who has taken those types of hits at a relatively high level. Does it suck when you get your bell rung? Of course it does, but it is also part of the game. What are the most memorable hits of all time? The ones when the helmet goes flying off, right? This has nothing to do with trying to act tough, at least for me. It has to do with them outlawing some of my fondest memories of watching football as a kid.
              How many times did those hits leave you seriously injured, paralyzed, or worse? There are risks anytime you compete in football but why not do everything we can to minimize those risks so we don't have as many Terrence Murphy stories.

Comment

Originally posted by B S D View Post
                How many times did those hits leave you seriously injured, paralyzed, or worse? There are risks anytime you compete in football but why not do everything we can to minimize those risks so we don't have as many Terrence Murphy stories.
                Personally, I don't think there is anything worse than being paralyzed. But luckily, never. I was lucky to escape relatively unscathed.

How many times have you seen someone get blown up(by a hit that is being outlawed) and get up, shake their head and laugh about it? They knew it was a good, clean hit, and that it wouldn't have happened had they had their head on a swivel. This rule is outlawing a clean hit. Why not make a rule that you can't go for a running backs legs, since there are so many serious knee injuries from that. This is a slippery slope.

I didn't mind the horse collar rule, once I realized they weren't outlawing jumping on the back to bring someone down, just grabbing the inside of their shoulder pad to do it.
                Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Hitting the head of an unprotected player should be illegal someone could be killed, shoulder to shoulder, or going low is going to take them out of the play. If it can be done just as easily in a safer manner it should be enforced.

Comment

now that most of the rules have passed. How does a offesive player like a WR block a 250 lb Lb, take a shot to the knees, use arms and get owned,....

Comment

Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                      now that most of the rules have passed. How does a offesive player like a WR block a 250 lb Lb, take a shot to the knees, use arms and get owned,....
                      You squat down and put your eyes in his numbers. That's how you're taught since pop warner.

Comment

Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
                        You squat down and put your eyes in his numbers. That's how you're taught since pop warner.
                        Exactly, I'm not the biggest guy 5"10 200 pounds and I used to take down guys twice my size. You get low and you drive with your legs.

If you hit someone round the head with your shoulder it's a dangerous move and sure, it's easy to say "football isn't ballet or golf" but it's not you being strapped to a stretcher, going for MRI's and having your family surrounding you worried about your health because some guy can't be bothered aiming a few inches lower when he hits you.

Comment

Again, my concern isn't necessarily the rule in place. It's the enforcement of the rule.

Are they going to call on the side of caution? Because like they even said in the article, months later they're still trying to determine if Hines hit him at all in the head.

It may be just me, but I wanted the rules more streamlined and yet now again they're giving more and more gray area for the refs to try to determine in a split second if this or that happened.

I wouldn't care as much if they had full-time refs, but, even so, it's still yet another thing that has to be determined too quickly and often at too hard of an angle or viewpoint to see clearly.

They're saying that Hines hit was clean. My guess if that rule was in place, it would be still a "Clean" hit but it would be flagged just so the refs play the "better safe than sorry" route.

I remember a bunch of threads devoted to the ridiculous roughing the passer calls. What happens when the refs start botching these and costing teams valuable yardage.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

You deal with it and move on, at the end of the day player safety is more important than a penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                              You deal with it and move on, at the end of the day player safety is more important than a penalty.
                              So you were not at all offended with the over-protection of the QB's last season which even resulted in the Bronco's stealing a win from San Diego.

When your season can hinge on 1 extra win that season, just "Deal with it and move on" isn't exactly a great strategy.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
                                So you were not at all offended with the over-protection of the QB's last season which even resulted in the Bronco's stealing a win from San Diego.

When your season can hinge on 1 extra win that season, just "Deal with it and move on" isn't exactly a great strategy.
                                Slightly different things to compare if you ask me, but use it if you like.

My understanding is that the Broncos stole the game on a bad call that wasn't necessarily due to over-protection of the QB.

If this play causes a team to lose a game then the player who commited the penalty made a boneheaded play....plain and simple.

Boy do people sure whine a lot...

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
                                You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information