No announcement yet.

NFL Networks top 10 Linebackers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think before its all said and done Patrick Willis will be on this list.

"Even when winnings not probable, losings not optional"

Comment

Originally posted by The Legend View Post
      10.Derrick Thomas
      9.Chuck Bednarik
      8.Jack Ham
      7.Junior Seau
      6.Ray Nitschke
      5.Jack Lambert
      4.Mike Singletary
      3.Ray Lewis
      2.Dick Butkus
      1.Lawrence Taylor
      I like this list... Derrick Brooks needs to be on it though, but I can't think of anybody to take off. I think I like him over Derrick Thomas though... But it would be just barely.

Jack Ham needs to be in the top 10 though.

Comment

I don't buy the whole game has changed that much thing. You can trace it back with players who cross over eras, guys like Ray Lewis who have been good for a decade can take you back to the previous generation, Ray now is slower than he was in his prime but is every bit as good as he was as a rookie when he crosses over with other linebackers who likewise cross over going back. It's not like the year 2000 came around and anyone who was playing before it was instantly no good and anyone who came after was better. Looking at other positions, guys like Jerry Rice managed to go through 3 eras and still be damn good even when he was noticeably slower towards the end.

The thing is that as the game/times change, players adapt, these past greats were great for a reason, they worked harder and had more natural talent than their peers, they would be the same today, they would have all the advantages, they would work their asses off, they would be reckless with their own bodies, the same way that Rice was good in the 80 and the 90s he was still relevant in the early 2000s, the game hasn't changed so much that someone who was good in the 80s wouldn't have been just as good in the 2000s if they were born 20 years later, just doesn't work that way for me.

Sure if you go far enough back you can probably find some guys who wouldn't compete, if you go back to the point where sports weren't paying enough for anyone to make a career or where it was borderline amateur or where people were excluded, you can find guys who wouldn't be able to play today, but if you are going to pluck a guy from one era, you have to factor in the differences in technology and knowledge. Imagine those greats of the 60s and 70s with the kind of information on tendencies that players have today, backing up their instincts with actual knowledge of whats going to happen at certain times.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

Originally posted by GBahDunka View Post
          I think before its all said and done Patrick Willis will be on this list.
          I hope to god this is true. But it's way to early for this talk.

Although Mike Singletary has been quoted as saying that Willis is better than he was.

Patrick Willis is the one reason I wish we could switch to a 4-3. IMO he would be able to dominate more consistently in a 4-3. He is an undersized 3-4 ILb that still manages to be one of the best in the game...

Comment

Hmm...

Ted Hendricks? Sam Huff? Randy Gradishar?

Comment

Originally posted by fondoffilm View Post
              Hmm...

Ted Hendricks? Sam Huff? Randy Gradishar?
              Agreed, also would like to mention Chris Hanburger, not Top 10 but probably the only 9 time Pro Bowler,4 time All Pro no one ever heard off. Played alongside Butkus in 4 of those Pro Bowls also.
              Last edited by flave1969; 03-21-2009, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by no love View Post
                I hope to god this is true. But it's way to early for this talk.

Although Mike Singletary has been quoted as saying that Willis is better than he was.

Patrick Willis is the one reason I wish we could switch to a 4-3. IMO he would be able to dominate more consistently in a 4-3. He is an undersized 3-4 ILb that still manages to be one of the best in the game...
                Don't be surprised if you see San Fran heading that way....................

Originally posted by Jakey
                WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Comment

San Francisco played more 43 than 34 after Singletary took over, as a recall. I think they're going to show a lot of front, but they definitely not an 34 exclusive defense.

Comment

Yea.. It looks good, based on what that episode showed and said
                    Jets, Mets, Knicks, and the U's too cool for uze

Sig by, Hitman D

Comment

Wheres Lamarr Woodley?!?!?!?

This list fails/

Comment

Originally posted by RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES View Post
                        Why is that?

and

Anyone think there is anyone who should be on the list that isn't?
                        Jack Ham probably should be though I love the that Derrick Brooks is on the list
                        I'm doing a real job now...well, semi-real.

Check out my twitter @mrocchio42 and check out my radio show on wqqx1490am.com. I'm on every morning with Pro Football HoF voter and NFL regular season awards voter, Howard Balzer. It's always a blast from 9-11.

Comment

Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
                          Zach Thomas could be on there too. He actually has been playing as long as Lewis and has even more tackles, although his sack/INT numbers aren't as good.
                          I loved watching Zach Thomas back in Miami. Tatupu really reminds me of him but just not the "tackle machine" Thomas was just yet.
                          Last edited by OneToughGame; 03-29-2009, 06:39 PM.

Originally posted by Tebowfan85
                          too bad the Sea hawks are starting Hasselback and not Whitehorsest (sp)They are gonna loose any ways .

Comment

I think Derrick Thomas should be moved up, but I'm also a little biased. :P

Go Packers, Chiefs, Mizzou Tigers, Kansas City Royals, Chicago Bulls, No. 31 Jeff Burton!

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information