Mike Martz

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Borat View Post
    My bad. His offense is conventional. Yeah, not really.
    Hm we may have to find a middle ground. :D

Comment

He'd be awful in college. No college QB could keep up with the constant adding of plays every day.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Some coaches are just not meant for college. Martz is one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
          He'd be awful in college. No college QB could keep up with the constant adding of plays every day.

You know it'd be awesome.

Comment

Coming from a St.Louis Rams fan, this guy is garbage, he is a horrid judge of talent, a terribly egotistical maniac and he has problems not being the boss of bosses. He hates being told what to do, and it's his way or the highway. The guy is a bum, if he could for one second not be such a dick, and actually just go back to coaching and not worry about all the other BS he would be a great QB coach, actually he'd be a genius QB coach, but he is such a douche that it's impossible for him to be just a coach.

Comment

I have to admit, I wonder about Martz as a potential successor to Tom Moore as offensive coordinator for the Colts, should Moore retire soon (supposedly he considered it this offseason but wanted to keep coaching).

Martz would have to tweak his offense a bit, letting Peyton adjust at the line to improve plays. But, even though it was only the Pro Bowl setting and a week of basic offense/defense, I thought Peyton had a good chemisty with fellow Coryell branchee Norv Turner and his offense at the 2008 Pro Bowl.

Martz not pounding the ball isn't the end of the world imo, running the ball is overrated. But he needs an offensive line that can pass protect and a quarterback to deliver the ball quickly, which the Colts do have.
              Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Martz doesn't seem like a Colts kind of guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                  I have to admit, I wonder about Martz as a potential successor to Tom Moore as offensive coordinator for the Colts, should Moore retire soon (supposedly he considered it this offseason but wanted to keep coaching).

Martz would have to tweak his offense a bit, letting Peyton adjust at the line to improve plays. But, even though it was only the Pro Bowl setting and a week of basic offense/defense, I thought Peyton had a good chemisty with fellow Coryell branchee Norv Turner and his offense at the 2008 Pro Bowl.

Martz not pounding the ball isn't the end of the world imo, running the ball is overrated. But he needs an offensive line that can pass protect and a quarterback to deliver the ball quickly, which the Colts do have.
                  Martz as the Colts OC would be scary. Peyton would love it.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

I don't think Peyton would love it AT ALL. Peyton is used to calling his own plays at the line and audibling ad nauseum. Martz system doesn't allow for audibles. Manning's "happy feet" could really be exposed on deep drops with minimal protection. Dallas Clark would be eliminated as a target in the offense. All things that are against everything the Colts have been best at.

Also, despite both Martz and Turner descending from the Coryell tree, their systems are almost entirely different. Turner's system utilizes a strong running game to accomodate play-action as well as consistent usage of the tight end. Martz rarely uses play-action and the TE in his offense is virtually non-existent.

Comment

Originally posted by phlysac View Post
                      I don't think Peyton would love it AT ALL. Peyton is used to calling his own plays at the line and audibling ad nauseum. Martz system doesn't allow for audibles. Manning's "happy feet" could really be exposed on deep drops with minimal protection. Dallas Clark would be eliminated as a target in the offense. All things that are against everything the Colts have been best at.

Also, despite both Martz and Turner descending from the Coryell tree, their systems are almost entirely different. Turner's system utilizes a strong running game to accomodate play-action as well as consistent usage of the tight end. Martz rarely uses play-action and the TE in his offense is virtually non-existent.

Yeah actually all 3 main Coryell guys have a different twist from Turner to Martz to Al Saunders. Only thing Turner and Martz have in common is the terminology which is something my team used when I coached. I love the use of the terminology for that system. Alot of the passing concepts for the system are the same but utilized in different ways due to formation differences and such.

Comment

He has got in worse and worse as a OC. He gets his Quarterback killed. He doesn't really use a running game anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler Ashley View Post
                          I found this story earlier, and I found it kind of interesting.
                          http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11528497/rss

I don't really follow the guy around much, but I know he's a good offensive mind. Does anyone else agree with me and Lombardi that it's somewhat surprising that this guy doesn't have a job? Coaching the 49er's offensive talent, or lack thereof into the 13th-ranked passing offense has to be worth something. I wouldn't have minded him being hired as a passing-game coordinator for Oakland. Would you want him on your staff?
                          You know, I think Al Davis would like the style of Mike Martz, since for some reason Davis is in love with the vertical passing game. Problem is, I don't think that city is big enough for both of their ego's.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                          -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                          Originally posted by Borat
                          Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

If your offense stinks, this guy can rectify it quickly and if he has enough talent he can win a SB for you. He's a solid OC if you want to throw the ball as the main feature of your offense, if you want to be a run first team, he is the wrong guy to hire.
                            Sure he has an ego, so do most of the successful coaches in the NFL. Singletary obviously wants to have a run first offense so he let Martz go but we'll see how Hill does without him. Don't be shocked if Hill falls flat on his face without Martz! He has a way of getting a lot of production out of extremely mediocre QB's.
                            And proud of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                              Singletary obviously wants to have a run first offense so he let Martz go but we'll see how Hill does without him. Don't be shocked if Hill falls flat on his face without Martz! He has a way of getting a lot of production out of extremely mediocre QB's.
                              This isn't a post defending Shaun Hill's abilities as a QB but Shaun Hill took over as QB when Singletary became interim. Martz scheme was reighned-in significantly under Coach Sing, thus you can't say with certainty that Martz's scheme was responsible for Hill's success. Hill is best suited for a conservative style offense which Martz begrudgingly ran the final 8 weeks of the season.

Comment

Mike Martz is a genius offensive mind in the passing game and a terrible game manager and talent evaluator (I mean common... Trung Canndidate)

His teams with the proper personnel can be downright unstoppable and very balanced. The scheme is so aggressive that it can really put a defense on it's heels and keep them there for the whole game if the offense is executing.

However, his offense can lend itself to becoming a victim of it's own recklessness. Teams without the proper personnel can often lead to tons of three and outs, turnovers and sacks. This in turn leads to points for the other team and playing from behind. And when Martz gets behind he completely abandons the run game.

On a side note, Martz hardly uses audibles so I can't imagine Peyton liking an offense like that...

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information