No announcement yet.

Different 3-4 defences

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was an article on a website that broke them down into 3 characteristics.

the 1 gap scheme utilized by Dallas
    The 2 gap scheme utilized by Miami/NE
    The 2 Gap Zone Blitz Scheme utilized by Pit.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
      There was an article on a website that broke them down into 3 characteristics.

the 1 gap scheme utilized by Dallas
      The 2 gap scheme utilized by Miami/NE
      The 2 Gap Zone Blitz Scheme utilized by Pit.
      Could you link the article please? Or explain the exact differences between those? I always love learning more about Xs and Os.

"Frosties are corn flakes for people who can't face reality"

Comment

Originally posted by irishbucsfan View Post
        Could you link the article please? Or explain the exact differences between those? I always love learning more about Xs and Os.
        I think its pretty much to do with the nose technique. In Dallas they have a smaller nose in Ratliff who can penetrate the pocket as he is only responsible for one gap.

In New England the nose lines up over the centre and is responsible for both A gaps while the ends are there to stack the OT at the point to allow outside rushers to go one on one with a TE or RB.

In Pittsburgh the technique is similar to the Patriots however pressure can come from anywhere while you may see defensive linemen drop into short zones.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

I thought Dallas used a similar scheme to San Diego? As in SD have that behemoth Jamal Williams manning two gaps in the middle, I thought that's what Ratliff did too. Does Ratliff still take a double team even thought he's only responsible for one gap? If so, does that mean the 5 tech DEs do pretty much the same job in either 3-4?

Comment

There are alot of intricacies that can differentiate a 3-4 scheme. Alot of it has to do with a teams personnel as well as individual preferences with coordinators. This season, the 49ers will be running a completely different 3-4 scheme under Greg Manusky than they did last season with Mike Nolan calling the shots. The 3-4 the Cowboys run under Wade Phillips is alot different than the 3-4 used when Parcells was there.

Comment

Originally posted by TACKLE View Post
              Every team in the NFL runs a mix of zone and man. Though some teams may be base Cover 2 teams, every team runs both. The only team that runs almost exclusively one over the other is the Raiders. They run all man-to-man but have the only shut-down corner in the league.
              Well yeah of course, I was pointing out that more often than not Revis was in man, but more often than not the corner on the other side of the field was in zone. So it wasn't a pure zone, but we weren't running straight up man coverage either. Mostly a function of what our corners were able to do. Some teams you can label as running more of one or the other, but the Jets last year were pretty tough to characterize. If I had to choose one or the other I'd say we ran more man overall, though.

Comment

the standard 3-4 as in what the model is is, NT takes both A gaps, ILB (Mike (Strong) Mack (Weak)) take the B gaps, DE's take the C gaps and and the OLB's take the D gaps, unlike a SAM and a WILL both OLB's have similiar roles

Comment

Originally posted by PACKmanN View Post
                  I know the Packers, Steelers, Jets, KC, and Browns Pats 3-4 defenses run zone coverage scheme in the secondary, while the Cardinals, Dolphins, Cowboys, Ravens, Chargers, 49ers, and Broncos run a man coverage scheme in the secondary.

Cardinals haven't ran any plays in the 3-4 yet, we might be switching this year though

Comment

Originally posted by irishbucsfan View Post
                    It's a pay article on scout.

I don't know if I'm allowed linking it so those who pay for that info can see it.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

The Pats use alot of complex looking blitzes?? On the other hand, the Jets.. Seemed like we hardly blitzed after the season started.. I can hardly recall of many sacks.. Hopefully Rex Ryan will help Gholston break out and Scott will remain good.
                      Jets, Mets, Knicks, and the U's too cool for uze

Sig by, Hitman D

Comment

Here is a good thread on footballguys talking about the different variations of the 3-4.

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum...owtopic=381000

Comment

Originally posted by Mix View Post
                          Here is a good thread on footballguys talking about the different variations of the 3-4.

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum...owtopic=381000
                          That is awesome, thanks a lot. I love that kind of talk. Over here you don't get much Xs and Os talk, and yet that's one of the parts of the game that fascinates me the most.

If you've got any other threads like that up your sleeve about anything at all tactical/technical/strategic I'd love to read them. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X

Debug Information