Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Different 3-4 defences

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Different 3-4 defences

    What are the different types of 3-4 defence in the NFL? For example, New England's is different to Dallas'/San Diego's, right? 3-4s as a general rule play more man coverage in the secondary don't they, but I'd really appreciate hearing about the different responsibilities of each position in the front 7 in different 3-4s. I know some bits, but I'd rather hear an explanation from people who know better...

    Thanks.



    "Frosties are corn flakes for people who can't face reality"

  • #2
    Originally posted by irishbucsfan View Post
    What are the different types of 3-4 defence in the NFL? For example, New England's is different to Dallas'/San Diego's, right? 3-4s as a general rule play more man coverage in the secondary don't they, but I'd really appreciate hearing about the different responsibilities of each position in the front 7 in different 3-4s. I know some bits, but I'd rather hear an explanation from people who know better...

    Thanks.
    I know the Packers, Steelers, Jets, KC, and Browns Pats 3-4 defenses run zone coverage scheme in the secondary, while the Cardinals, Dolphins, Cowboys, Ravens, Chargers, 49ers, and Broncos run a man coverage scheme in the secondary.

    Comment


    • #3
      That's interesting, I always associated the Packers with a massive amount of bump man coverage. I didn't know they were changing that this year.

      Do you know what the responsibilities of ILBs are in the schemes? Because it's not like just having two 4-3 MLBs in there, or is it?



      "Frosties are corn flakes for people who can't face reality"

      Comment


      • #4
        They also run a variation of gap assignments in the front 3. Some use a 0-Technique Nose Tackle and some utilize a 1-Gap penetrating Nose.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by irishbucsfan View Post
          That's interesting, I always associated the Packers with a massive amount of bump man coverage. I didn't know they were changing that this year.

          Do you know what the responsibilities of ILBs are in the schemes? Because it's not like just having two 4-3 MLBs in there, or is it?
          Yeah, our corners have always been very physical with almost all man coverage. I hate the fact that we'll be changing that.

          Sig thanks to mockalicious

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jackalope View Post
            Yeah, our corners have always been very physical with almost all man coverage. I hate the fact that we'll be changing that.
            What are you guys gonna do with Al Harris? I suppose he should be ok in zone.



            "Frosties are corn flakes for people who can't face reality"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by irishbucsfan View Post
              That's interesting, I always associated the Packers with a massive amount of bump man coverage. I didn't know they were changing that this year.

              Do you know what the responsibilities of ILBs are in the schemes? Because it's not like just having two 4-3 MLBs in there, or is it?
              Lbers either rush the qb/rb or go back in zone coverage.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by irishbucsfan View Post
                Do you know what the responsibilities of ILBs are in the schemes? Because it's not like just having two 4-3 MLBs in there, or is it?
                Indeed not. Jonathan Vilma is a prime example of an ILB who thrives in a 4-3 and struggles terribly in a 3-4.

                Typically your 3-4 ILBs have to not only be able to defend the field from sideline-to-sideline but they have to be effective in disengaging from blocks. The TED or strongside ILB is routinely wanted to be a "thumper" (for lack of a better overutilized, corny term) because many schemes utilize his ability to disrupt the offenses blocking scheme in order to better free up the the MIKE ILB.

                The fact that the MIKE and TED ILBs in a 3-4 scheme have so many responsibilities in both the run and pass defense, they are typically players that are well-rounded athletically.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by irishbucsfan View Post
                  What are you guys gonna do with Al Harris? I suppose he should be ok in zone.
                  Harris has struggled in zone when we used it. We'll probably keep him, but he won't be as good as he was in man coverage. I wouldn't be surprised to see Trammon Williams replace Harris as a starter this season, as Williams is a better zone corner.

                  Sig thanks to mockalicious

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by PACKmanN View Post
                    Lbers either rush the qb/rb or go back in zone coverage.
                    Thanks for the in depth break down chief.

                    stephenson86

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jackalope View Post
                      Harris has struggled in zone when we used it. We'll probably keep him, but he won't be as good as he was in man coverage. I wouldn't be surprised to see Trammon Williams replace Harris as a starter this season, as Williams is a better zone corner.
                      I personally can't see that happening. I think Harris should be able to use his physicality as a weapon in zone coverage. At least if I were a GB coach i'd want to play to that strength and set up coverages around that. Also, I figure we will still use a fair amount of man coverage so that will keep him in there.

                      stephenson86

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by PACKmanN View Post
                        I know the Packers, Steelers, Jets, KC, and Browns Pats 3-4 defenses run zone coverage scheme in the secondary, while the Cardinals, Dolphins, Cowboys, Ravens, Chargers, 49ers, and Broncos run a man coverage scheme in the secondary.
                        Just as a note, the Jets used a man/zone mix last year with Revis playing a lot of the man and the array of corners we used across from him usually in zones, and should be running a lot of man this year with the new scheme Ryan's bringing in.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JF4 View Post
                          I personally can't see that happening. I think Harris should be able to use his physicality as a weapon in zone coverage. At least if I were a GB coach i'd want to play to that strength and set up coverages around that. Also, I figure we will still use a fair amount of man coverage so that will keep him in there.
                          You guys will probably run a lot more cover two out of the 3-4, instead of deep third bail coverage with him.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                            Just as a note, the Jets used a man/zone mix last year with Revis playing a lot of the man and the array of corners we used across from him usually in zones, and should be running a lot of man this year with the new scheme Ryan's bringing in.
                            Every team in the NFL runs a mix of zone and man. Though some teams may be base Cover 2 teams, every team runs both. The only team that runs almost exclusively one over the other is the Raiders. They run all man-to-man but have the only shut-down corner in the league.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I feel that the difference between the 3-4's is that one is meant to disguise it's coverages and blitzes and force you to be perfect and the other is meant to force turnovers and big yard losses.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information