Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

C Samson Satele Traded to the Raiders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Thecollegedropout View Post
    Wes Welker ultimately went to NE for a 6th and 7th rounder....

    Oh boy.



    Guess what this guy is about to ask you...

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
      From what I've read, Oakland sent a 6th rounder and swapped picks in an undisclosed round with Miami.
      ^This

      Assuming the Raiders didn't fall back in the 1st-3rd rounds (Miami actually has a very low pick), I call this a VERY good trade. Satele was not worth a whole lot to the Dolphins because he would have only been a mediocre backup. However, the Raiders get a guy who has shown very good promise when in a zone blocking scheme. This is a good deal.

      Oldie but a goodie.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
        So the Raiders and Dolphins swapped Centers.

        I think the Raiders got the better of the deal. Satele should be great in the Raiders system.
        And Oakland saves a ton of money, they would have had to beat 5yrs/$29M the retain Grove's services, Satele makes $1.1M over the next 2 years and he is 4 years younger.

        Where the heck is Al Davis and who is this prudent, wise man they replaced him with?

        Comment


        • #19
          It disappoints me when I see the Raiders make a good move. Fortunately I haven't been disappointed for years.

          Comment


          • #20
            LT Henderson/Barnes
            LG Gallery
            C Satele
            RG Carlisle/McQuinsten
            RT Barnes/Pears

            Good young oline right there. All we need is a #1 WR and Id say sit and wait for this offence to explode.


            "Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
            @SirStackAlot707

            Comment


            • #21
              I haven't seen the Raider make a bad move this offseason (the worst I thought was losing Grove to the Dolphins). In fact, I've seen a bunch of really smart moves so far. I like this.

              Oldie but a goodie.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by RaiderNation View Post
                LT Henderson/Barnes
                LG Gallery
                C Satele
                RG Carlisle/McQuinsten
                RT Barnes/Pears

                Good young oline right there. All we need is a #1 WR and Id say sit and wait for this offence to explode.
                Henderson has been questioned by many around the league that dont think he can stick at LT. Gallery was a tremendous bust that isnt worth what hes making even if he is a solid LG. Satele is a guy that just got traded by one of the best OL mindsin the business for a low pick. Even if a scheme that better fits his skills, hes no lock to revert his rookie year form where he wasnt much more then "pretty good" anyways. Carlisle is just a guy. Barnes is on a one year deal with a histroy of off the field problems and zero pass protection skills.

                Lets be honest, the oakland OL is far from good. Young, talented and full of potential? yes. But way to many questions marks that need to be anwsered before it i considered good.

                Comment


                • #23
                  I thought I would never see the day. The Raiders adressing their needs wow.
                  Originally posted by 49erNation85
                  I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    The Raiders offensive line wasn't as bad as some people think. Harris and Green both offensive tackles were the big problem so replacing them with Henderson and Barnes will be an upgrade and now adding Satele who is perfect for the zone-blocking scheme to replace Grove was a smart move, he is pretty much a younger Grove but he can actually stay healthy.

                    LT - Henderson or Barnes
                    LG - Gallery
                    C - Satele
                    RG - Carlisle
                    RT - Henderson or Barnes

                    Tom Cable has done nice a job with the O-line, before he took over it was train wreck.
                    Taking a Knapp.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I think this is a great trade for the Raiders and helps both teams. Oakland now has a decent body at C so its not a glaring void. This guy can at least provide depth at C and G. If the Dolphins wanted a power blocker than shipping the ZBS guy was a good move.

                      Seeing how the Raiders starting C was John Wade and Satele was a former 2nd round pick this seem's like a smart idea. A 6th rounder would likely bring less to the table. Hopefully the pick switch isnt in the 1st 3 rounds.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by JoeyJr09 View Post
                        Henderson has been questioned by many around the league that dont think he can stick at LT. Gallery was a tremendous bust that isnt worth what hes making even if he is a solid LG. Satele is a guy that just got traded by one of the best OL mindsin the business for a low pick. Even if a scheme that better fits his skills, hes no lock to revert his rookie year form where he wasnt much more then "pretty good" anyways. Carlisle is just a guy. Barnes is on a one year deal with a histroy of off the field problems and zero pass protection skills.

                        Lets be honest, the oakland OL is far from good. Young, talented and full of potential? yes. But way to many questions marks that need to be anwsered before it i considered good.
                        Joe,
                        Before the season on the Miami board, you basically said Satele was on his way to a bunch of pro bowls. Amazing how your opinion changed to say that he was only "pretty good" in his rookie yr....
                        The deal was pretty good for both teams, the Raiders get a cheap, starting C who fits their scheme and don't give up a lot. Miami gets to move way up in rd 4 and gets a 6 to fill out their draft in the only rd where they had no pick.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Sounds like Cable has some pull down in Alameda, first Barnes and now this. This really gives us some flexibility in the draft, now it's time to shore up that D. Excellent move, thank you Al!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I like this move for Oakland. It's somewhat troubling to hear that Satele isn't particularly stout, because that was the same issue that plagued Grove for quite a few years, and it hurt the offensive line. With Michalczik coming in from Cal-Berkeley as offensive line coach, it seems likely that the team will move in a little more of a power-scheme direction which utilizes the same cutback lanes that can lead to big yardage in a zone-blocking scheme (and are Darren McFadden's best shot at becoming an big play threat in the NFL).

                            Every team in the AFC West besides Oakland is going to be running a 34 defense at least part of the time next season. San Diego already has one of the best nosetackles in the NFL and both Kansas City and Denver are looking to find one for themselves.

                            I think this is probably Oakland's contingency plan if they can't get Alex Mack (who they seem to be angling fairly hard for). You know that Michalczik would be pushing for Mack and that Cable is more than familiar with him, but it looks like Oakland would have to move up from the #40 pick to make that happen (or move back from #7, but that would be much more difficult).

                            Overall, this was a good move. Losing a 6th and moving back in the 4th is more than acceptable.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                              I like this move for Oakland. It's somewhat troubling to hear that Satele isn't particularly stout, because that was the same issue that plagued Grove for quite a few years, and it hurt the offensive line. With Michalczik coming in from Cal-Berkeley as offensive line coach, it seems likely that the team will move in a little more of a power-scheme direction which utilizes the same cutback lanes that can lead to big yardage in a zone-blocking scheme (and are Darren McFadden's best shot at becoming an big play threat in the NFL).

                              Every team in the AFC West besides Oakland is going to be running a 34 defense at least part of the time next season. San Diego already has one of the best nosetackles in the NFL and both Kansas City and Denver are looking to find one for themselves.

                              I think this is probably Oakland's contingency plan if they can't get Alex Mack (who they seem to be angling fairly hard for). You know that Michalczik would be pushing for Mack and that Cable is more than familiar with him, but it looks like Oakland would have to move up from the #40 pick to make that happen (or move back from #7, but that would be much more difficult).

                              Overall, this was a good move. Losing a 6th and moving back in the 4th is more than acceptable.
                              Satele is 6-4, 300 lbs. I like him because he's got a nasty demeanor, something I hope will rub off on the rest of the line. He can also play guard if need be. What I think is that Al was not open to drafting a center that high and this was the compromise, a very good one indeed.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by locseti View Post
                                Satele is 6-4, 300 lbs. I like him because he's got a nasty demeanor, something I hope will rub off on the rest of the line. He can also play guard if need be. What I think is that Al was not open to drafting a center that high and this was the compromise, a very good one indeed.
                                Sampson doesn't have a nasty demeanor though. He's the nicest guy you'd ever meet. Even on the field, he's more a skilled technician than a nasty mauler.

                                I'm happy for him in this new opportunity though. His agent said he's really excited about it to and that the Raiders are already going to look to him for leadership.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information