C Samson Satele Traded to the Raiders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RaiderNation View Post
    We should go WR, DT and DE in the first 3 picks in any order. Then go Oline the rest of the draft
    safety be nice

Comment

Great pickup for the Raiders. Satele will thrive in a ZBS.

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
        I like this move for Oakland. It's somewhat troubling to hear that Satele isn't particularly stout, because that was the same issue that plagued Grove for quite a few years, and it hurt the offensive line. With Michalczik coming in from Cal-Berkeley as offensive line coach, it seems likely that the team will move in a little more of a power-scheme direction which utilizes the same cutback lanes that can lead to big yardage in a zone-blocking scheme (and are Darren McFadden's best shot at becoming an big play threat in the NFL).

Every team in the AFC West besides Oakland is going to be running a 34 defense at least part of the time next season. San Diego already has one of the best nosetackles in the NFL and both Kansas City and Denver are looking to find one for themselves.

I think this is probably Oakland's contingency plan if they can't get Alex Mack (who they seem to be angling fairly hard for). You know that Michalczik would be pushing for Mack and that Cable is more than familiar with him, but it looks like Oakland would have to move up from the #40 pick to make that happen (or move back from #7, but that would be much more difficult).

Overall, this was a good move. Losing a 6th and moving back in the 4th is more than acceptable.
        The difference between the AFC West and AFC East 3-4 teams is that there is only one good NT in the AFC (and he's really getting old) while there are 2 very good NTs in the East (Wilfork and Jenkins). I would say that it is debatable whether Williams is on the same level as Wilfork and Jenkins last year. The other two teams in the AFCW are undersized and really have very crappy defensive lines. They may upgrade in the future, but for this year (even considering the draft), I don't think Satele has to worry about the Broncos or Chiefs.

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

Originally posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
          The difference between the AFC West and AFC East 3-4 teams is that there is only one good NT in the AFC (and he's really getting old) while there are 2 very good NTs in the East (Wilfork and Jenkins). I would say that it is debatable whether Williams is on the same level as Wilfork and Jenkins last year. The other two teams in the AFCW are undersized and really have very crappy defensive lines. They may upgrade in the future, but for this year (even considering the draft), I don't think Satele has to worry about the Broncos or Chiefs.
          Dont forget Marcus Stroud.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTron View Post
            Dont forget Marcus Stroud.
            He's not a NT or in a 3-4...

Originally posted by quote
            You're right, of course, but assuming we're looking past this year, having at the very least 6 games a year against 3-4 teams makes our center position that much more crucial. I'm glad Satele is on the team, but a big part of me still wants Oakland to pursue Alex Mack and shift Satele to RG to replace Carlisle.

Comment

True. But Stroud is a beast in that division he had to deal with.

Comment

Working...
              X

Debug Information