2009 Compensatory Draft Picks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
    If I was an owner I'd hire a brain trust to crack the damn comp pick formula and then stick to it.
    No brain trust needed. Let your free agents get paid somewhere else, and either re-sign your own guys or sign FAs on the cheap as you continue to build through the Draft.
    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
      No brain trust needed. Let your free agents get paid somewhere else, and either re-sign your own guys or sign FAs on the cheap as you continue to build through the Draft.
      Well yeah that's obvious but I am talking about specific #s, so that you can better manipulate it all. So what I'd do is sign certain FAs, or offer them a fair contract. If they leave, build through the draft, get comp picks, each year, and basically keep very little players, because I know I will get those picks back in terms of comp picks.

But the issue is what level or round comp pick do I get? So that part factoring PT, salary, and playoff experience all gets added. So that part I would want my people to crack.

Comment

Well, the biggest factor is one you can't really control: the average salary your departed player gets in signing his new contract with a different team.

Sure you can control it in the sense that you don't re-sign a marquee player, ex. the Colts with Edgerrin James in '06, the Pats with Asante Samuel in '08.

Average salary is by far the biggest factor, games played/started and success on the field are a distant second and third which can bump a player up or down a few spots.
        Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Well, the biggest factor is one you can't really control: the average salary your departed player gets in signing his new contract with a different team.

Sure you can control it in the sense that you don't re-sign a marquee player, ex. the Colts with Edgerrin James in '06, the Pats with Asante Samuel in '08.

Average salary is by far the biggest factor, games played/started and success on the field are a distant second and third which can bump a player up or down a few spots.
          That's true, but I guess one can guess the best course of action is let your 3rd and 2nd tier players go. And if it comes down to first tier players, superstars, it's up to you, because if you do let them go, they will get a big contract somewhere else, and thus that can help. But I see what you're saying.

Comment

Is change in team record a part of the comp pick equation? That's the only explanation I can think of for why the Steelers only got a 5th for Faneca. Without Faneca the Steelers went from a Wild Card loss to a SB win. Doesn't make sense for the Bears though, as they also got better without Berrian, but he earned a 3rd. I've never really paid attention to comp picks before, so I am stumped.

Comment

If those are the factors can you please explain Faneca garnering a 5th meanwhile having the 2nd highest avg contract payout, Jets nearly grabbing a playoff spot, his RB leading the AFC in Rushing IIRC, Post season Honors?

and how a guy, for example, Jake Scott Warrants a 4th round comp when he didn't manage near that?

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
              X

Debug Information