• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL passes 4 player safety rules

NFL passes 4 player safety rules
    http://www.comcast.net/articles/spor.../NFL.Meetings/

Someone posted this on our giants MB.

One major new change is:

On kickoffs, no blocking wedge of more than two players will be allowed. Also, the kicking team can't have more than five players bunched together pursuing an onside kick.

I read somewhere they might get rid of the wedge. From an X's and O's stand point how is that going to affect special teams Shock? Think we'll see less returns for TD's?
    #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
      I read somewhere they might get rid of the wedge. From an X's and O's stand point how is that going to affect special teams Shock? Think we'll see less returns for TD's?
      LOL It's pretty much two people holding hands as the wedge. Just thinking about it makes me crack up. A bunch of big dudes holding hands, and either having to resort to clothes lining the guy, or god knows what next. So i guess it would be groups of two acting as the wedge and then the KR having to pick his spot and then making things happen on his own.

From an Xs and Os stand point, your scheme and plays change. Instead of having your guys drop back and forming a 5 player wedge or something, now I guess your doing pockets of 2. I am curious to see how that will work. Normally depending on where the kicker kicks the ball, middle, left or right, your guys drop their landmarks accordingly and set up their blocks. If I have a chance tomorrow I will scan some stuff to people get to see what I mean.

My question is what constitutes a wedge? What if my guys are close but not close enough to hold hands? Think of an OL spacing? Is that a wedge? I guess if I was a ST's coach I would want to get a ref. to training camp to see if that's legal or not. But it does impact your plays and scheme on special teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
        LOL It's pretty much two people holding hands as the wedge. Just thinking about it makes me crack up. A bunch of big dudes holding hands, and either having to resort to clothes lining the guy, or god knows what next. So i guess it would be groups of two acting as the wedge and then the KR having to pick his spot and then making things happen on his own.

From an Xs and Os stand point, your scheme and plays change. Instead of having your guys drop back and forming a 5 player wedge or something, now I guess your doing pockets of 2. I am curious to see how that will work. Normally depending on where the kicker kicks the ball, middle, left or right, your guys drop their landmarks accordingly and set up their blocks. If I have a chance tomorrow I will scan some stuff to people get to see what I mean.

My question is what constitutes a wedge? What if my guys are close but not close enough to hold hands? Think of an OL spacing? Is that a wedge? I guess if I was a ST's coach I would want to get a ref. to training camp to see if that's legal or not. But it does impact your plays and scheme on special teams.
        From what I just read it's going to be a pentalty if more than 2 players are shoulder to shoulder within 2 yards of each other. This rule is really really ridiculous. As they said on BBI it's really going to like 3 or 4 mini games of Red Rover going on.
        #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Watch these:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f5e234

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f69e54
          Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
            From what I just read it's going to be a pentalty if more than 2 players are shoulder to shoulder within 2 yards of each other. This rule is really really ridiculous. As they said on BBI it's really going to like 3 or 4 mini games of Red Rover going on.
            If that's the case then I would do what some colleges do with their OL splits. I'd make it 3-3.5 yard splits and go that way. And then have each guy block his lane. Again you'd have to draw it out, but this is a very interesting rule.

Comment

I heard that one of the rule changes is that quarterbacks are going to start wearing skirts instead of traditional football pants starting this season.

Comment

Also, the kicking team can’t have more than five players bunched together pursuing an onside kick.
                What the **** does that even mean?

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                  I heard that one of the rule changes is that quarterbacks are going to start wearing skirts instead of traditional football pants starting this season.
                  Phillip Rivers doesn't want to change clothes before games.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                  Originally posted by njx9
                  do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Originally posted by CutlerChris View Post
                    Phillip Rivers doesn't want to change clothes before games.
                    I think you're getting Phillip Rivers and Jay Cutler confused :(

Comment

Originally posted by Boston View Post
                      What the **** does that even mean?
                      Agreed, I don't under stand this one, now it's harder for a team to collect an onside kick... Something like 1 in 4 are converted nowadays, and we want it harder? WTH?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
                        I think you're getting Phillip Rivers and Jay Cutler confused :(
                        Say that to his face.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                        Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                        Originally posted by njx9
                        do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Say that to his face.

edited for you.

Comment

Say that to his face.

Does nobody find that literally disgusting?

"Frosties are corn flakes for people who can't face reality"

Comment

Originally posted by irishbucsfan View Post
                              Does nobody find that literally disgusting?
                              Have you ever tried bodybuilding? It's unfreaking real how much work and dedication it takes to even remotely look like him. Mr. Olympia is no joke and I bet that guy gets laid more than anyone of us...haha So I guess I don't find it disgusting...

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information