No announcement yet.

did espn ruin sports?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually it is a 2 way street. Players from the past would certainly have to change their ways of training to play in todays game and make adjustments to the rule changes.
    TV allowed the NFL a chance to study the game and the effects of certain types of blocks and they have rightly tried to limit the more serious types of hits. The old timers would have to adjust.
    However, the players of today couldn't just step into the past and be effective either. OLmen would have to learn a whole new technique for blocking, as linemen in the past weren't allowed to have their hands outside their shoulders when blocking. The OLmen of today would find that the old rules which permitted head smacking by DLmen is something they are not used to. The blocking angles and techniques would all be totally different and require quite an adjustment.
    Then there are the field conditions, there wasn't artificial turf or indoor stadiums, players played in the mud and sometimes it was 5 or 6 inches deep, you had to have the ability to adjust to the conditions no matter what position you played. QB's had to have the ability to throw the ball in all conditions on sloppy fields were there was no footing, not like today's game.
    The fact is that old timers couldn't just step into today's games either. Nobody did weight training back then, players showed up at training camp and played themselves into condition.
    Could the players of the past adjust, of course they could but it wouldn't come overnight but the same is true for the players of today if they could go back and play. The game today vs the game of the past is apples and oranges, they really cannot be compared. Just as an example, players in the past played through concussions, nobody knew how serious they were and you played or lost your job. You just cannot compare eras and it is rather silly to think you can. I've only given you the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the differences players would have to makes adjustments for on both sides.
    And proud of it!!!

Comment

who said football was ruined? its still pretty good

^^Sig From Nvot9
      J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!

Comment

I'm not sure how you go about "ruining sports", but no I don't believe ESPN has ruined anything. It's definitely the 800lb gorilla when it comes to sports news, but it is not the end all and be all. Like any other blog, website or channel, it's just another source for you to get the news.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxV View Post
          Any network executive that considers Steven A. Smith, Skip Bayless, Barry Melrose, John Kruk and Emmitt Smith as "expert analysts" needs an alternate career.
          How dare you mock the mullet.

Comment

This is not just a situation in sports, people are always nostalgic about the old days. It's the same thing when people "remember" the 50's as this perfect, beaver cleaver period when it wasn't at all.

And while I love old football, you have to compare era's because physically the old guys aren't on the same level as the guys now and days. Our science of training and understanding of the body has advanced so much, these guys are such freak athletes. These guys train year round to stay able, and there's a reason that many guys decline so quickly once their body starts to break down.

The money aspect is just the way the economy works, pro athletes generate tons of money so obviously they would make lots of money.

Comment

I personally think Inflation has ruined sports. Not that they're not fun, they're just not the same.

Comment

ESPN and other sports networks might be to blame for many players becoming divas, but no way did it ruin sports.

ESPN is probably the most important network/website that is out there today. They provide anything and everything you want to know about any and every sport.

My life:

1.) ESPN
                4.) Family
                2.) My girlfriend
                3.) School

Comment

ESPN has a habit of having bias towards the east coast and that sort of pisses me off at times. Case in point this basketball tournament all the talk about the Big East and little about the other teams.

Comment

Because the Big East is the best conference ever in basketball right now :P

They don't have an east coast bias, it's all a figment of your imagination. They just talk about mainstream teams a lot, because, guess what, that gets ratings. The Cowboys, the Lakers. Not east coast, talked about PLENTY.

Follow Me on Twitter!
                    https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

I think ESPN led to increased showmanship in sports, but it didn't ruin them..

Comment

ESPN didnt ruin sports, they brainwashed a certain group of people to think everything their "experts" say is true. They pretty much took away the ability to form your own thought.

Comment

Players who are only good enough today to play ST, would tear it up back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by JBond93 View Post
                            Because the Big East is the best conference ever in basketball right now :P

They don't have an east coast bias, it's all a figment of your imagination. They just talk about mainstream teams a lot, because, guess what, that gets ratings. The Cowboys, the Lakers. Not east coast, talked about PLENTY.
                            but they consistently "convienently" forgot about certain teams that are in the midwest and other aread...A LOT...I live in St. Louis and teams around here and in STL get no respect or publicity from ESPN...which is why I hate sell out **** heads like Joe Buck
                            I'm doing a real job now...well, semi-real.

Check out my twitter @mrocchio42 and check out my radio show on wqqx1490am.com. I'm on every morning with Pro Football HoF voter and NFL regular season awards voter, Howard Balzer. It's always a blast from 9-11.

Comment

Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
                              ESPN didnt ruin sports, they brainwashed a certain group of people to think everything their "experts" say is true. They pretty much took away the ability to form your own thought.
                              so ESPN is like a new religion?
                              I'm doing a real job now...well, semi-real.

Check out my twitter @mrocchio42 and check out my radio show on wqqx1490am.com. I'm on every morning with Pro Football HoF voter and NFL regular season awards voter, Howard Balzer. It's always a blast from 9-11.

Comment

Originally posted by rockio42 View Post
                                so ESPN is like a new religion?
                                I wouldn't say its new.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information