X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the decider13 View Post
    When he tore his knee in the playoffs?

What do I win?
    he didnt miss any time for that injury i thought? does that count or no?
    my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
    <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
    <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
    <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
    Originally posted by Hermstheman83
    What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Well he did miss the rest of that game...and he hardly played at all last year. But before that he had started every game for like 3 seasons. Hardly makes him injury prone.

I personally like Carson Palmer a great deal, but he asked when Palmer had been injured before.

Sig by the sigmaster BoneKrusher. Each one is a masterpiece
      Originally posted by BaLLiN72
      i wish NFLDC had something like "wall to wall" where we could see Brodeur and Job's conversations.
      Originally posted by Job
      NFLDC would be jizzing itself non-stop.

Comment

Originally posted by gpngc View Post
        The Colts don't need to start to groom his replacement at all. Peyton Manning is one of the most durable players in the history of sports and has done nothing to show decline.
        I would have said the same about Brady last year
        until a hustiling safety from KC aimed for his knees
        -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

YFS, how can you not think this guy is a franchise QB?!

Now, excuse my while I put this gun in my mouth.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by BmoreBlackByrdz View Post
            Well he is still one of the better QB's in the leauge, arguably top 2, but with the loss of Dungy and Harrison and him having a slow start last year, plus he's 33 so I could see him slowly start to decline. One thing is for sure, the Colts should soon start to groom his replacement.
            Marvin Harrison stopped being a positive influenece on this team two years ago...and the rest of that post, well i just don't know how to answer it.

Comment

For you stat driven guys, NONE of you would be considering John Elway as a franchise QB based on stats. But you know what, he won games and was amazing in the clutch.

And the talk about the Colts needing to groom a replacement for Manning...just how idiotic can you get?
              Manning has 5 years at least, QB's can play into their 40's. Heck, look at Vinny Testaverde for crying out loud and Warren Moon.
              Groom a replacement to sit on the bench for 5 years? Yeah, right...

Comment

P. Manning still has 3-7 years left in his career... I am pretty sure he is still one of the best, if not the best QB in the NFL.
                Die hard 49ers fan for over 20 years.

Comment

Donovan McNabb is a franchise QB. The guy consistently made the playoffs with Todd Pinkston and James Thrash and last year after the benching led his team to the brink of the Super Bowl.

^^Best Real Estate Salesman Ever^^

Comment

True Franchise Guys
                    Tom Brady
                    Carson Palmer
                    Ben Roethlisberger
                    Eli Manning
                    Drew Brees

On the Cusp
                    Jay Cutler
                    Phillip Rivers

Guys that have more to Prove
                    Aaron Rodgers
                    Matt Ryan
                    Joe Flacco

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
                    Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

A franchise QB to me is a QB a team acquires through whatever means and then proceeds to hand the unconditional starting QB job over to some time afterwards, while the said QB does enough to keep the team happy in that role for an extended period of time, ideally most of their career. It's a dual effort - the team extending the trust and the player doing what it takes to keep it.

There are a lot of could-be franchise QB's in the NFL, or a fair amount anyway, but few sure fire ones IMO. Brady, Eli & Peyton Manning and Big Ben make up my sure fire franchise QB's - they were given the chance and have taken each of their teams all the way. These guys just aren't going anywhere else anytime soon - maybe retirement for Brady and Peyton not too far down the track, and who knows, maybe another Favre like incident, but that's not going to change the fact they're established franchise QBs now.

Guys like Palmer, Romo, Rivers, Brees, McNabb etc have been tagged as franchise QB's by their teams but IMO that's just half the battle - I'm not sure those guys have done enough yet to quite get over the hump. I expect a few of those to do so soon, but it's just not 100% yet. A guy like Cutler has only just been re-tagged as a franchise QB by his new team and that could go either way on whether he earns it or not.

McNabb is a tough one though because he's extremely close and maybe in a few seasons we can look back to now and see he definitely was. I dunno, maybe I'm letting the brief and perhaps over exaggerated hint of concern the Eagles seemed to show recently stop me from believing the Eagles are 100% still trusting McNabb as their unconditional starting QB. This season is fairly important regarding this IMO.

Comment

Wow, 33 year old reigning MVP Peyton Manning is not a franchise QB, but 32 year old coming off an ACL Tom Brady is? Trent Edwards is? Joe Flacco is (homer)? Matt Schaub is? That's a pretty interesting concept of "Franchise QB" you have, can you explain it to me?

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
                        <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

My take:

A franchise QB is simply a starting QB that the franchise owner wants to keep for the long haul and build the team around. Sure, there is some level of accomplishment. It's how the ownership determined they wanted to go with the guy in the first place. But that accomplishment isn't based off Wins.

That's why Derek Anderson wasn't a franchise QB even though he won 10 games in '07.

I think you guys are defining Franchise QBs incorrectly. It shouldn't be based of what they've accomplished. You say Peyton Manning is a Franchise QB. If he's still playing in 5 year's, is he still considered a Franchise QB? Was Brett Favre considered a Franchise QB last year? No, I don't think so. I think it's based off value. Not accomplishment.

That's why Jay Cutler is a franchise QB even though he hasn't taken a snap for the Bears.

Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Tony Romo, Phillip Rivers, Matt Cassell... they're all Franchise QBs.

The guys like Jason Campbell, Derek Anderson, Kyle Orton.... those guys are not Franchise QBs until they have done enough for their teams to have full confidence in them going forward for the long haul.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathbyStat View Post
                            True Franchise Guys
                            Tom Brady
                            Peyton Manning
                            Carson Palmer
                            Ben Roethlisberger
                            Eli Manning
                            Drew Brees

On the Cusp
                            Jay Cutler
                            Phillip Rivers

Guys that have more to Prove
                            Aaron Rodgers
                            Matt Ryan
                            Joe Flacco
                            Fixed it for you...

Bone Krusher, the best

Comment

Originally posted by BmoreBlackByrdz View Post
                              The guys in italics are the ones that are still good quaterbacks and will do enough to win games but aren't the longterm answer for there respective teams.

Indianapolis Colts - Peyton Manning
                              Seriously? Nobody should take you serious after this...And the fact that you called Matt Schaub a franchise QB makes it even worse.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                                Seriously? Nobody should take you serious after this...And the fact that you called Matt Schaub a franchise QB makes it even worse.
                                I agree its ridiculous to call Shaub a franchise QB, and Peyton not.

The Shaub is dumb but Peyton is forgivable. Harrison WAS a great part of his success, very reliable and they both worked together alot to get things to work.

I do think there will be a dropoff, but its not like Peyton will be questioned, he's still a Pro Bowl QB and the engineer of the offense. Gonzalez has made strides from his rookie season, so the loss isnt that great, Harrison just seemed to lose a step.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information