mannings
    brady
    brees
    big ben
    rivers
    ryan
    palmer

Sig by BoneKrusher
    Matt Barkley will be the best QB to be selected in the Top 5 since Peyton Manning.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
      Are those the only credentials to be a franchise QB? A few very good seasons?
      No, I just didn't think it was fair that you were shortchanging him. That said, Palmer does have all the makings of a franchise QB when he's on the field.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
      <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

i am a huge falcons fan
        an even i admit Matt Ryan isn't a franchise QB.
        he needs atleast one or two more good season to even be talked about

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.

Comment

Originally posted by BmoreBlackByrdz View Post
          I think we can all agree that Quaterback is the most important position in the game of football. So that brings me to the thought, how many teams are actually set at QB?
          Heres a list of every team and who they have at QB.

I bolded the teams that I think have there guy and are set for the future and

The guys in italics are the ones that are still good quaterbacks and will do enough to win games but aren't the longterm answer for there respective teams.

I underlined the youngers QB's who still have the jury out on them, they have the potential but haven't put it all together yet. And for the ones that aren't in any font just suck for are too old.

Buffalo Bills - Trent Edwards
          Miami Dolphins - Chad Pennington
          New York Jets - Kellen Clemens/Brett Ratliff
          New England Patriots - Tom Brady
          Baltimore Ravens - Joe Flacco
          Cincinnatti Bengals - Carson Palmer
          Cleveland Browns - Brady Quinn/Derek Anderson
          Pittsburgh Steelers - Ben Roethlisberger
          Houston Texans - Matt Schaub
          Indianapolis Colts - Peyton Manning
          Jacksonville Jaguars - David Garrarrd
          Tennessee Titans - Kerry Collins
          Denver Broncos - Kyle Orton/Chris Simms
          Kansas City Chiefs - Matt Cassel
          Oakland Raiders - Jamarcus Russell
          San Deigo Chargers - Phillip Rivers
          NFC
          New York Giants - Eli Manning
          Dallas Cowboys - Tony Romo
          Philedelphia Eagles - Donovan McNabb
          Washington Redskins - Jason Campbell
          Chicago Bears - Jay Cutler
          Detroit Lions - Daunte Cullpeper
          Green Bay Packers - Aaron Rodgers
          Minnesota Vikings - Tarvaris Jackson/Sage Roesnfels
          Atlanta Falcons - Matt Ryan
          Carolina Panthers - Jake Delhomme
          New Orleans Saints - Drew Brees
          Tampa Bay Bucaneers - Luke McCown
          Arizona Cardnails - Kurt Warner
          St. Louis Rams - Marc Bulger
          San Francisco 49ers - Shaun Hill/Alex Smith
          Seattle Seahawks - Matt Hasselbeck
          So heres my list of the current franchise QB's in the game right now
          Trent Edwards
          Tom Brady
          Joe Flacco
          Carson Palmer
          Ben Roethlisberger
          Matt Schaub
          Phillip Rivers
          Eli Manning
          Drew Brees
          Aaron Rodgers
          Matt Ryan
          Jay Cutler
          What are your thoughts? You don't have to re-write the whole list, just list your franchise QB's.
          I seriously hope you just forgot Peyton, I'm not gonna read this whole threa.d Cuz seriously Manning is better than anyone right now except ARGUABLY Brady. Wiow I just noticed you didn't forget him. Worst post ever? I think so, although DG has 29, 506 to argue it. Seriously, Peyton>everyone on that list(but MAYBE Tom Brady. I have them tied pre-Brady injury). I'd certainly prefer Peyton over Cutler, and I still love Cutler even though he's gone.
          Last edited by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf); 04-11-2009, 12:56 AM.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
          Originally posted by njx9
          do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Originally posted by Dam8610 View Post
            No, I just didn't think it was fair that you were shortchanging him. That said, Palmer does have all the makings of a franchise QB when he's on the field.
            I'm not short changing him, I would just love for someone to explain to me what he has done to be considered a franchise QB other then those few great statistical seasons.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
            I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Instead of listing names, defining your definition of a franchise QB is probably a better way to attack this debate.

Comment

you guys are forgetting, the Giants actually have 2 more franchise QB's on our roster:

We ALL bleed scarlet
                New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Originally posted by Staubach12 View Post
                  I think Tony Romo is a franchise QB.
                  More like Franchise Choker
                  LOUD & PROUD

NY GIANTS 4X SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                    This is a pretty good list, although I'd take Jay Cutler and Philip Rivers over Eli Manning.
                    Hell NAW!!!!

Eli is def better than either, he completly changed the game in SB 42 in the 4th with time ticking down, while Cutler and Rivers were watching from the 9th green
                    LOUD & PROUD

NY GIANTS 4X SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!!!!!

Comment

• Franchise QBs, some are & some aren't

I think you have to look at Schaub in a team context. 1st, forget his negligible Atlanta experience. He was never in the top NFL QBs in stats but he was like manna from Heaven to the Texans when he went there. He is also one of the unluckiest QBs ever.

Under Carr they never got off the starting line for expansion franchises, Houston gambled on Tony Boselli being injury free when they took him in the expansion draft & paid him a ******** of $, he never played a down for them. And the o-linemen who did play for them were the league's worst, Carr set an NFL rcd. for sacks, & they stayed on the floor of their division & in the league passing yds stats. Offensive production was an unknown phenomenon in Houston until Schaub came there & Andre Johnson emerged as an elite WR as predicted. Their o-line quietly improved & their offense was reborn.

Schaub was never healthy since his sr. yr. at UVA when he tore his shoulder up in the 1st offensive series of their 1st game. He was ranked among the top 2-3 QBs in that draft until then, his size & arm made him the poster boy Franchise QBs. And his bad luck with injuries that kept him out of the lineup followed him to Houston, plus he was unlucky enough to have the best backup in the league pushing him for a starting job in Sage Rosenfels, who said many times last yr he wanted to start, now he will get his chance in Minnesota. Put Schaub in Indy like state of the art Franchise QB Peyton Manning, or in Dallas surrounded by superlative talent & Garrett calling the plays & imagine what he could have done. It;s questionable now whether Kubiak has run out of patience with him & that with the absence of Rosenfels has fueled the rumors that the Texans are going QB later this month.

As for Romo, as a Cowboys fan I think he's a work in progress like you'd expect from an UDFA QB but he seems -- still! -- like a manic depressive QB, he's either way up or way down, we saw both in that playoff loss in Seattle with the fumbled extra point snap (did anyone else notice it happened exactly like the game sequence in North Dallas 40?). When he was out for 4 games with the broken pinky Dallas lost 3 of those, this is how important he is to them. Does it make him a Franchise QB? No. In a similar thread a yr ago I ranked him 6th among NFL starting QBs, he's a lot lower now. Nor is he the 2nd coming of Troy Aikman, as every Dallas QB has been compared to him -- maybe that's b/c they won their last playoff game with Aikman under center.

Brees gets it done without the Peyton Manning size & rocket arm with excellent game management & incredible precision passing, plus he throws one of the most catchable balls in the NFL. He's also a locker room leader everywhere he's been, note how the concerns over the Bolts leadership on the field never were heard until Brees was replaced by Rivers there.

Lots of factors to consider when you label a Franchise QB, each is a different story.
                      Last edited by LizardState; 04-11-2009, 11:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                        I'm not short changing him, I would just love for someone to explain to me what he has done to be considered a franchise QB other then those few great statistical seasons.
                        You did shortchange him. You said he had only one good season, so I'd like to know which of his 2005 and 2006 seasons you think wasn't a great season for an NFL QB. When he's been healthy and not in his first season starting, Palmer has been an elite QB, and he made the players around him better. Yes, he threw 20 INTs in 2007, but a bad defense has that effect on even the greatest of QBs, and looking at the rest of his numbers for that year, he still had a pretty great season. To me, a QB that is the unquestioned starter, is a team leader, makes the players around him better, and puts up great numbers consistently is a franchise QB. Palmer fits every single one of those criteria when healthy.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Comment

• Personally, I think there is only three:

Manning
                          Brady
                          Brees

There are a lot of young guys out there who can be franchise QB's, but IMO no one touches these three for the amount of time they have been doing it combined with the fact all three have 5+ seasons left.
                          INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: SUPER BOWL XLI CHAMPIONS!

Comment

• Originally posted by IndyColtScout View Post
                            Personally, I think there is only three:

Manning
                            Brady
                            Brees

There are a lot of young guys out there who can be franchise QB's, but IMO no one touches these three for the amount of time they have been doing it combined with the fact all three have 5+ seasons left.
                            Peyton Manning is 33. In 5 years he'll be 38 (duh).

It wouldn't surprise me to see him play till he's 38 (that's actually a pretty standard retirement age for HOF QB's), but to think he'll be anything like he is now is very wishful thinking.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post

It wouldn't surprise me to see him play till he's 38 (that's actually a pretty standard retirement age for HOF QB's), but to think he'll be anything like he is now is very wishful thinking.
                              No its not. He doesn't throw on the move that much and hasn't for a long time.

Put a very good OL around him and I believe he could extend his career 10 years if he wanted to. Elway didn't have problems, and I don't think Manning will either OL pending.
                              INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: SUPER BOWL XLI CHAMPIONS!

Comment

• Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post

In 5 seasons he'll be 37.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information