Harrell and Dorsey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Hero View Post
    Dorsey will do fine since Pendergast will likely have a one gape scheme. So he won't need to be the massive gap eating NT we're used to seeing. Think a better Jay Ratliff.

Harrell's got to stay healthy for him to have any future in any scheme. I think he could be a good DE but that's really just a guess.
    No way Dorsey plays NT.

Comment

Justin Harrell needs to stay healthy before he has any sort of future in this league. He can't be relied upon and Ted Thompson has invested quite a bit in him; drafting him #16 overall and then trading Corey Williams the following offseason and placing more faith in Harrell. So far every part of the Harrell investment has been awful and a change to the 3-4 can't hurt Harrell's chances of producing b/c he can't produce any less than he has in his first two years.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Originally posted by Shahin View Post
        Has Harrell even done much in the 43?
        nothing, same thing that Dorsey has done.

Harrell is playing DE in the 3-4, you could have just searched it up.

Comment

prototypical 3 technique, he's not a good fit at DE in a 3-4. However what Pendergast will likely run is more of a 4-3 with a lot of 3-4 tendencies, because in Arizona they never ran a true 3-4 under him. Harrell fits, but he has been hurt and hasn't done a thing, he needs to get on the field and learn the game before anyone worries what defensive system he is in.

Comment

You picked my two teams!

Dorsey will still be a stud...Harrell I'm not so high on.

Go Packers, Chiefs, Mizzou Tigers, Kansas City Royals, Chicago Bulls, No. 31 Jeff Burton!

Comment

IDK Dorsey might fit at NT he stopped the run well his rookie year and he has a short squatty build and maybe he could play a Darnell Dockett or a Jay Ratliff type role. Pendergast ran a kind of hybrid 4-3 + 3-4 system so I think Dorsey will do alright.

I liked Justin Harell since he was drafted but I just think he landed in a bad situation. The Packers were stacked at DT when he got there and he never really got a shot at a starting job and now he has to play as a 3-4 DE where I think he might succeed because he has the measurables for it at 6'4" and 320 pounds. COming into the NFL he was known as a run stuffer who could penetrate the backfield and he fell because of injury so I still think he has potential seeing as he has only been pro for 2 years.

However I do think both teams made a bad descision because the Chiefs have Tamba Hali who doesn't fit in the 34 AT ALL and Dorsey is much better in a 4-3. Not to mention that Derrick Johnson is a better fit in the 4-3 as well. The Packers have Aaron Kampman moving to OLB which I don't think will work out well and AJ Hawk and Nick Barnett are both better suited for a 4-3.
              Last edited by Thumper; 04-13-2009, 06:52 PM.

Comment

He's already been slated to play NT.

New coach Todd Haley indicated that Glenn Dorsey will start the offseason out as a nose tackle.

The Chiefs want a 3-4 defense and have nothing close to a 3-4 nose tackle on their roster. It's pretty safe to say Dorsey isn't an answer either. He's at his best as an up-field penetrator and is generously listed at 6'2/302.
                Source: Kansas City Star
                As someone said, if they adopt the one gap scheme...he could potentially be Ratliff esque. We'll have to wait and see what they do here, though.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                KO KNOWS

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderNation View Post
                  Dorsey to Atlanta for their 1st this year and comp picks to see how good he plays?
                  I'd do that if it was only for our 1st

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.

Comment

I am officially a Steelers fan.
                    my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                    <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                    <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                    <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                    Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                    What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                      IDK Dorsey might fit at NT he stopped the run well his rookie year and he has a short squatty build and maybe he could play a Darnell Dockett or a Jay Ratliff type role. Pendergast ran a kind of hybrid 4-3 + 3-4 system so I think Dorsey will do alright.

I liked Justin Harell since he was drafted but I just think he landed in a bad situation. The Packers were stacked at DT when he got there and he never really got a shot at a starting job and now he has to play as a 3-4 DE where I think he might succeed because he has the measurables for it at 6'4" and 320 pounds. COming into the NFL he was known as a run stuffer who could penetrate the backfield and he fell because of injury so I still think he has potential seeing as he has only been pro for 2 years.

However I do think both teams made a bad descision because the Chiefs have Tamba Hali who doesn't fit in the 34 AT ALL and Dorsey is much better in a 4-3. Not to mention that Derrick Johnson is a better fit in the 4-3 as well. The Packers have Aaron Kampman moving to OLB which I don't think will work out well and AJ Hawk and Nick Barnett are both better suited for a 4-3.

If he is listed at 6'4 320 he would be better of playing NT then DE. When I think of 3-4 DE usually its the smaller DT with speed, but that are still strong to hold the point, pretty much Tampa 2 DT.

Comment

Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                        He's already been slated to play NT.

As someone said, if they adopt the one gap scheme...he could potentially be Ratliff esque. We'll have to wait and see what they do here, though.
                        Tank Tyler on a radio show today said he would be the NT. wtfzz KCzzz
                        my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                        <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                        <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                        <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                        Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                        What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post

That is not at all true. I'm not the typical Packer fan that hates Harrell, I've actually been of fan of the pick since before it was made, but you are dead wrong.

His rookie year he sat out of training camp because he was still recovering from his torn bicep. He also injured his ankle early in the season and missed 5 games. 2008 he was placed on the PUP list before training camp even started and didn't come back until week 6.

It wasn't that he landed in a bad situation and we didn't give him a chance, it's that he hasn't been able to stay on the field. Even when he has been on the field he has been 100%, which led to him being very unimpressive. He needs to go without injuring himself this offseason, come into training camp healthy, and then he can start trying to earn playing time.

Problem is that he's too much of a liability right now to go into the season with him as our starter. He gets hurt too much and he hasn't proven anything in the NFL yet. There's a good chance we take a DE in the first three rounds of the draft. We also still have Johnny Jolly who could beat him out. Nothing is going to be given too him. I'm not ready to call him a bust and think he could be a pretty good 3-4 DE if he gets his **** together, but he has a long way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                            If he is listed at 6'4 320 he would be better of playing NT then DE. When I think of 3-4 DE usually its the smaller DT with speed, but that are still strong to hold the point, pretty much Tampa 2 DT.
                            That's because you're just looking at size. Harrell is much better suited for 3-4 DE than NT.

Comment

^^^
                              Yeah injuries played a part as well but I am saying that the Packers had Corey Williams and Ryan Pickett along with 2 or 3 others who's names I can't remember. The combination of veterans in front of him and injuries haven't really given him a chance to show his worth.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonRath View Post
                                I'd do that if it was only for our 1st
                                You have to be kidding. He was the top player in the draft last year by most accounts, and we nearly took him with the third pick over a franchise quarterback.

I'd gladly give our first and a third or a first and future second or third round pick (depending on production).
                                Virginia Tech.
                                ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information