Why so much hype for Cutler?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why so much hype for Cutler?

What has he done that Derek Anderson didn't do prior to last season? Anderson almost led the Browns to the playoffs (like Cutler), had a Pro Bowl season (like Cutler), and was the beneficiary of a high-powered and explosive offense (like Cutler). They're even similar in age... and look how DA turned out.

So why does Cutler, a 17-20 record starter with only one Pro Bowl season warrant so much hype? I really don't understand it. Not to mention that the Bears team he's going to isn't nearly the offensive force that Denver's was.

This just seems so silly to me, and I feel like I'm the only one who notices the glaring overhype.
    Last edited by 3pac; 04-15-2009, 07:03 AM.
    PICTURE ME ROLLIN'
    GO COLTS! NAPTOWN

You are. You're the only one who gets it. Congrats.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
      You are. You're the only one who gets it. Congrats.
      Since you obviously disagree, reasons as to why this is the case are welcome.
      PICTURE ME ROLLIN'
      GO COLTS! NAPTOWN

Comment

Originally posted by 3pac View Post
        What has he done that Derek Anderson didn't do prior to last season? Anderson almost led the Browns to the playoffs (like Cutler), had a Pro Bowl season (like Cutler), and was the beneficiary of a high-powered and explosive offense (like Cutler). They're even similar in age... and look how DA turned out.

So why does Cutler, a 17-20 record starter with only one Pro Bowl season warrant so much hype? I really don't understand it. Not to mention that the Bears team he's going to isn't nearly the offensive force that Denver's was.

This just seems so silly to me, and I feel like I'm the only one who notices the glaring overhype.
        Cutler basically carried a Broncos team that had no D an lost coutless RB's. An almost led them to the playoffs. thats pretty good

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.

Comment

DA was getting hyped pretty well too there for a bit, so the two cases aren't so different, but you obviously can't say because DA took a step back so will Cutler.

It's fairly natural, particularly for fantasy football favorites like DA and Cutler were/are. After all, you can't disappoint like DA did if you weren't hyped up a little bit, and a young QB who appears to be the next great thing will always get hyped.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonRath View Post
            Cutler basically carried a Broncos team that had no D an lost coutless RB's. An almost led them to the playoffs. thats pretty good
            I'd say leading the Browns to 10-6 in a tough AFC North division is far more impressive than leading the Broncos to 8-8 in a horrible, HORRIBLE AFC West division that was actually claimed by an 8-8 squad... (albiet one that beat my team in the playoffs.....sigh).

Also, it's hard to say he "carried" anything considering they had one of the worst late season collapses in recent memory.
            PICTURE ME ROLLIN'
            GO COLTS! NAPTOWN

Comment

Originally posted by OzTitan View Post
              DA was getting hyped pretty well too there for a bit, so the two cases aren't so different, but you obviously can't say because DA took a step back so will Cutler.

It's fairly natural, particularly for fantasy football favorites like DA and Cutler were/are. After all, you can't disappoint like DA did if you weren't hyped up a little bit, and a young QB who appears to be the next great thing will always get hyped.
              I suppose that's true, had DA been traded there probably would have been hype there as well. But I fail to see how adding Cutler to the bears makes them the great force to be reckoned with that some are hinting at. I'm not saying he's not probably an improvement, but man, his impact is being blown out of proportion.

I guess you're right, in this day of fantasy football, the idea of a QB that can throw for 4,500 yards or whatever it was is more important than most other factors.
              PICTURE ME ROLLIN'
              GO COLTS! NAPTOWN

Comment

I'd say leading the Browns to 10-6 in a tough AFC North division is far more impressive than leading the Broncos to 8-8 in a horrible, HORRIBLE AFC West division that was actually claimed by an 8-8 squad... (albiet one that beat my team in the playoffs.....sigh).

Also, it's hard to say he "carried" anything considering they had one of the worst late season collapses in recent memory.
                At least the Browns had Jamal Lewis an a decent D.
                An Cutler got tired, thats what happens when your forced to throow the balls alot during a game. An what do you think the Broncos would be if Anderson started instead of Cutler?

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.

Comment

At least the Browns had Jamal Lewis an a decent D.
                  An Cutler got tired, thats what happens when your forced to throow the balls alot during a game. An what do you think the Broncos would be if Anderson started instead of Cutler?
                  They'd probably be about the same as far as I'm concerned. I think the Broncos success is tied in more to the system than Cutler. Heck, you talk about their "lack of a run game" but they were 12th or so in the league in rushing if memory serves.

They're both young QBs with good strong arms that had/have shown promise at the end of a fantasy-football-friendly season. If Cutler wasn't drafted in the 1st round a few years back, I doubt this would be as big news. It seems to add to the glamor.

EDIT: Also, Denver had the 3rd best YPA rushing in the NFL last year. So they were FAR from bad.
                  Last edited by 3pac; 04-15-2009, 08:08 AM.
                  PICTURE ME ROLLIN'
                  GO COLTS! NAPTOWN

Comment

They'd probably be about the same as far as I'm concerned. I think the Broncos success is tied in more to the system than Cutler. Heck, you talk about their "lack of a run game" but they were 12th or so in the league in rushing if memory serves.

They're both young QBs with good strong arms that had/have shown promise at the end of a fantasy-football-friendly season. If Cutler wasn't drafted in the 1st round a few years back, I doubt this would be as big news. It seems to add to the glamor.
                    i dont think they will be at same at all. Anderson couldnt even lead a team with the weapons like Lewis, Edwards, Winslow, Stalworth

Sig by BK

Comment

i dont think they will be at same at all. Anderson couldnt even lead a team with the weapons like Lewis, Edwards, Winslow, Stalworth
                      Why do you say he couldn't lead them? He got them to 10-6 in a tough division. If that's not leading a team, how is going 8-8 in a crappy division?

Besides, Denver's rushing game was about the same as Cleveland's, and Marshall/Royal was about the same as Edwards/Winslow. They're very comparable.
                      PICTURE ME ROLLIN'
                      GO COLTS! NAPTOWN

Comment

Why do you say he couldn't lead them? He got them to 10-6 in a tough division. If that's not leading a team, how is going 8-8 in a crappy division?

Besides, Denver's rushing game was about the same as Cleveland's, and Marshall/Royal was about the same as Edwards/Winslow. They're very comparable.
                        if they are comparable then how come Anderson couldnt lead the Browns?

Sig by BK

Comment

What has he done that Derek Anderson didn't do prior to last season?
                          It's not just a matter of what he has done. It's also a matter of what he can do. Anyone that is objective, and has watched both players, would say that Cutler is a vastly superior talent. It's not even the same ballpark. Anderson was drafted in the 6th round for a reason. Cutler gets more attention for a reason. Anderson couldn't draw a 2nd rounder to save his life. It's not some massive conspiracy that everyone doesn't see but you. It's just a matter of value and talent.

Anderson almost led the Browns to the playoffs (like Cutler), had a Pro Bowl season (like Cutler), and was the beneficiary of a high-powered and explosive offense (like Cutler). They're even similar in age... and look how DA turned out.
                          This is such terrible logic, which is why I was flippant with you in the first place.

Here, let me try:

When O.J. Simpson was 38 years old, he married his second wife, a waitress from a Beverly Hills nightclub.

When John Elway was 38 years old, he married his second wife, a former Oakland Raiders cherleader.

AND LOOK AT HOW O.J. SIMPSON TURNED OUT!!! ZOMG!! JOHN ELWAY IS GOING TO MURDER HIS WIFE!! HOW AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT SEES THIS!?!?!

If I seem tired, I am. It's a waste of everyone's time to deal with these dumbass arguments. Just because you don't get it doesn't mean it requires a separate thread for you to sort out your incoherent thoughts.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

if they are comparable then how come Anderson couldnt lead the Browns?
                            Lead the Browns to what? You keep talking about leading, but I don't know what you're referring to. The playoffs? IDK, the same reason Cutler didn't I guess....
                            PICTURE ME ROLLIN'
                            GO COLTS! NAPTOWN

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                              It's not just a matter of what he has done. It's also a matter of what he can do. Anyone that is objective, and has watched both players, would say that Cutler is a vastly superior talent. It's not even the same ballpark. Anderson was drafted in the 6th round for a reason.
                              First of all, Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round. What round someone was drafted in makes no difference to how well they do in the league, only how many credentials they had going in.

Second, how is it not the same ballpark? Both made the Pro-Bowl, both led high octane offenses. I'll admit that Cutler has a higher ceiling, but not to the point where he should be hailed as some kind of future Peyton or Tom based soley on throwing 4500 yards.

This is such terrible logic, which is why I was flippant with you in the first place.

Here, let me try:

When O.J. Simpson was 38 years old, he married his second wife, a waitress from a Beverly Hills nightclub.

When John Elway was 38 years old, he married his second wife, a former Oakland Raiders cherleader.

AND LOOK AT HOW O.J. SIMPSON TURNED OUT!!! ZOMG!! JOHN ELWAY IS GOING TO MURDER HIS WIFE!! HOW AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT SEES THIS!?!?!

If I seem tired, I am. It's a waste of everyone's time to deal with these dumbass arguments. Just because you don't get it doesn't mean it requires a separate thread for you to sort out your incoherent thoughts.
                              Again, I never said he would bust. You're making inferences based on the fact that you don't appreciate someone questioning what your team did. The point is that instead of acting like he's a holy grail that the city of Chicago has finally found for the first time since McMahon, people should look at it objectively and realize that there's a DECENT POSSIBILITY he will not pan out.

Saying there is a possibility is not saying it will happen. The only one jumping to conclusions here is you.
                              PICTURE ME ROLLIN'
                              GO COLTS! NAPTOWN

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information