No announcement yet.

Why so much hype for Cutler?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BOE hit it on the head. Cutler has shown progression. DA was a flash in the pan. That's what's different. In all likelihood, Cutler won't magically regress because he's started for almost 2.5 seasons already, not like 4 games that DA had prior to 2007.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
    Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
    Originally posted by njx9
    do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

He was the 11th overall pick in a loaded draft, has outperformed two uber-hyped prospects, and has put up numbers.

Not rocket science.

Comment

its because he is jim sorjis understudy a long with JDB

Comment

Originally posted by 3pac View Post
          Again, you're making the same mistake bearsfan did. I'm not saying he WILL bust, I'm saying we need to keep in mind he COULD. People anoint him, like the poster before you, as a franchise QB when in reality there is NO EVIDENCE YET that is the case.

And as for the 1st round pick thing, again...I think this fact just sways people's perceptions of a player. It's like arguing Peyton Manning is better than Tom Brady simply because he was drafted in a higher round. What does the draft matter?
          But, any player could bust at any time realistically. The fact is that Anderson crashing was unexpected and unusual. By the way, so was his sudden rise to Pro Bowl level, but that's besides the point.

Because player A has a good season and then deflates out of nowhere doesn't mean player B will. It doesn't even make it more likely. Cutler has exactly the same, small chance to bust as anderson had post-07. Anderson lost his mojo, Cutler doing the same thing isn't to be expected.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
          don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

I think we can all agree that BOE has successfully disarmed this argument. Teams adjusted to Anderson, and there were other problems within the Browns, Jamal Lewis showed his age and couldn't break any runs, Braylon Edwards forgot how to catch, Joe Jurevicius got hurt and Kellen Winslow got a staph infection.
            Plus, people who think Cutler is overrated are acting like he's 38, he's 26 and has improved every year. He does need to improve his efficiency, but he has shown the ability to improve. He should be better than any of the crap that we've had recently.
            Last edited by MidwayMonster31; 04-15-2009, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwayMonster31 View Post
              I think we can all agree that BOE has successfully disarmed this argument. Teams adjusted to Anderson, and there were other problems within the Browns. Jamal Lewis showed his age and couldn't break any runs, Braylon Edwards forgot how to catch, Joe Jurevicius got hurt and Kellen Winslow got a staph infection.
              Plus, people who think Cutler is overrated are acting like he's 38, he's 26 and has improved every year. He does need to improve his efficiency, but he has shown the ability to improve. He should be better than any of the crap that we've had recently.
              true, when I want to I can actually add substance to a convo :)
              my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
              <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
              <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
              <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
              Originally posted by Hermstheman83
              What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

You can't disarm an argument in which the outcome is unknown. The point is we'll see.
                PICTURE ME ROLLIN'
                GO COLTS! NAPTOWN

Comment

You can't disarm an argument in which the outcome is unknown. The point is we'll see.
                  The point is that DA is NOT a starter and would be starter for about 6-8 teams in the NFL. Cutler would be the starter of about 28.

Is that a reach?
                  my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                  <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                  <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                  <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                  Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                  What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwayMonster31 View Post
                    I think we can all agree that BOE has successfully disarmed this argument. Teams adjusted to Anderson, and there were other problems within the Browns. Jamal Lewis showed his age and couldn't break any runs, Braylon Edwards forgot how to catch, Joe Jurevicius got hurt and Kellen Winslow got a staph infection.
                    That's another thing too: He had game film on him. Look at VY's rookie year. He came in, was able to make plays despite his lack of passing ability, and was actually quite a good QB(not pro bowl worthy, however. not close). That's even without improving his passing. Becoming just an average passer would have made him Vick level, which isn't bad. A QBs job isn't necessarily to pass the ball, but to make plays to move his team down the field, and Vince did that. But, I digress.

Second year, those running lanes start disappearing. He was learning to dump off rather than take it in, which is why his comp% SKYROCKETED but his ypa only bumped up a yard. Any other guy has his comp% increase like 10+% would expect a huge increase in his ypa but it didn't happen because he dumped the ball off more. Didn't cut down on INTs, had a not so great season. Then this season he was sucking till he was pulled, because he did not adequately adjust over the years.

Now, let's look at Cutler. Quietly, he had quite the rookie year. 9 TD 5 INT, which is quite good. Comp% was IIRC 57 or 59, not bad at all for a rookie. Had he started in week 5 or so, and had that year extrapolated, he could have won ROY over VY. Second year, he struggled a bit. Teams had learned some of his tendencies and forced him to adjust. He did well enough, although not great. Had some excellent games, had some poor ones, had some mediocre ones. Then this past season, he came out playing really well(played like a top 3 QB for the first few games), but as the season went on and he had to carry more and more of the load, he struggled a bit. Still came out with a very good season, deserving of the Pro Bowl he got(Rivers should have taken Favre's spot, not Cutler's).

DA came out of nowhere, had an excellent season, teams adjusted, he didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by bored of education View Post
                      The point is that DA is NOT a starter and would be starter for about 6-8 teams in the NFL. Cutler would be the starter of about 28.

Is that a reach?
                      Agreed, as it stands now.
                      PICTURE ME ROLLIN'
                      GO COLTS! NAPTOWN

Comment

The Sun will not rise tomorrow. You can't disarm that.

Comment

Originally posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
                          The Sun will not rise tomorrow. You can't disarm that.
                          That's exactly my point, you can't "finish" an argument when the subject in question hasn't happened yet.
                          PICTURE ME ROLLIN'
                          GO COLTS! NAPTOWN

Comment

See, the main difference to me, is that Anderson was coming off 1 year of 3500+ yards with 19:14 TD:INT ratio and 56% completion rate.

Whereas, Cutler had a very similar season in 07, with 3500 yards, 20:14 TD:INT ratio, and 63% completion rate. He had 1 more TD and better completion % with just 200 less yards. THEN he followed up in 08 by improving to 4500 yards, 25:18 TD:INT ratio and 62% completion rate. He improved his yards by alot and TDs, threw .25 more INTs per game, and his completion % basically stayed the same.

How can you say Cutler is coming off 1 good year, when he had an almost identical 2007 to Anderson, then followed it up with a better year? Sure, Cutler may regress a little this season, mainly because he has switched from an offense heavy Broncos team to the the Chicago Matt Fortes. However, you cannot say he has had 1 good year and is unproven, because he had the same year as Anderson in 07 and then followed it up in 08 with a better year. He is already more proven than Anderson was ever close to being.

Comment

On second thought, I wish I didn't waste so much time with my previous post. I could have just said this:

Because he's better than Anderson.

Comment

Because the talent level is crazy different. They aren't even comparable.

On a slightly different note, I think it's wrong to say that Cutler carried the team though, because that assumes that there was no talent on offense. He was protected well by a good offensive line, the running backs put up good numbers and he was throwing to a number of very talented receivers. And if he "carried" the team, maybe he would have thrown more TDs than INTs in the last few weeks.

I don't think that is the current topic, but is just something I noticed some people saying.

Sig by the sigmaster BoneKrusher. Each one is a masterpiece
                                Originally posted by BaLLiN72
                                i wish NFLDC had something like "wall to wall" where we could see Brodeur and Job's conversations.
                                Originally posted by Job
                                NFLDC would be jizzing itself non-stop.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information