No announcement yet.

New Deal For Jones-Drew

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think it to bad. I can't wait till AP gets paid.

4 year extension for 32 million. That makes him the third or 4th highest paid.
    Jackson, Johnson, Portis/Jones-Drew

Comment

Originally posted by bored of education View Post
      MJD is frigging amazing! I wonder if Keak sees a % of that
      oh he'll see it when MJD sleeps on his big pile 'o money

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
      don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

I wonder if Keak is in MJD's posse still.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

I'm never a fan of giving a running back a big deal. Just looking at it historically no running back ever really lives up to a massive new deal. Look at Shaun Alexander, Larry Johnson, Clinton Portis, Ricky Williams, etc. Even last year Westbrook, SJax, and Barber got big deals and none of them played very well. If you want to look at guys in the $20 million range, you've got Kevan Barlow, Ahman Green in Houston, etc. I actually made a topic about this once.

Historically teams have also been able to find good running backs in later rounds of the draft or in free agency. You can build a pretty nice stable of running backs now for very cheap, and the benefit of that is that you're not putting all your eggs in one basket. Most of the successful NFL teams as far as rushing use a two-back approach - the only one I can think of in the top ten last year that didn't really go two backs was Washington with Portis.

Pittsburgh has Mendenhall and Parker, Dallas has Marion/Felix/Choice, New York had Jacobs/Bradshaw/Ward, New England has Morris/Maroney/Faulk/Fast Fred, Baltimore has Rice/McGahee/McClain. That's the kind of rushing attack that's becoming popular in the NFL, and for good reason. If MJD gets hurt next year, they're screwed because they invested so much money in just him at running back that it's hard to have someone else there who can play.

Comment

I wish Indy would have picked MJD over Addai
            INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: SUPER BOWL XLI CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Assuming this in in fact an extension as reported, and not a completely new deal, he'll actually be paid $32.8M plus $535K over the next 5 years as the last year of his rookie deal still exists.

So yes, the Jags will still have paid him $32.8M for 4 more years, assuming he plays out the contract (and he likely will).

But as their new starting runningback for the next 5 years, he's paid $6.667M per season on average.

And that's not going into scenarios like a backloaded last year or a pre-emptive roster bonus.
              Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by IndyColtScout View Post
                I wish Indy would have picked MJD over Addai
                You have Mike Hart, which more than makes up for it.

Comment

Not looking forward to seeing him in the division for the next couple of years.

With MJD, Johnson, and Slaton, the AFCS has some speed at RB.
                  Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                  Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                  Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

Jesus, if this is the type of money a franchise back demands it'll be hard to keep DeAngelo in 2 years.

Good signing for all involved, now if only there was a team around him.

Comment

Well I guess it's nice to get some cash before you're forced to carry an atrocious supporting cast.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

MJD is amazing. MJD is the reason I'm so psyched about bradshaw because ahmad runs like MJD with lower top speed, same explosiveness and same ferociousness.

Comment

Wow didn't he only say this a week ago? That was fast.
                          Originally posted by 49erNation85
                          I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
                            I'm never a fan of giving a running back a big deal. Just looking at it historically no running back ever really lives up to a massive new deal. Look at Shaun Alexander, Larry Johnson, Clinton Portis, Ricky Williams, etc. Even last year Westbrook, SJax, and Barber got big deals and none of them played very well. If you want to look at guys in the $20 million range, you've got Kevan Barlow, Ahman Green in Houston, etc. I actually made a topic about this once.

Historically teams have also been able to find good running backs in later rounds of the draft or in free agency. You can build a pretty nice stable of running backs now for very cheap, and the benefit of that is that you're not putting all your eggs in one basket. Most of the successful NFL teams as far as rushing use a two-back approach - the only one I can think of in the top ten last year that didn't really go two backs was Washington with Portis.

Pittsburgh has Mendenhall and Parker, Dallas has Marion/Felix/Choice, New York had Jacobs/Bradshaw/Ward, New England has Morris/Maroney/Faulk/Fast Fred, Baltimore has Rice/McGahee/McClain. That's the kind of rushing attack that's becoming popular in the NFL, and for good reason. If MJD gets hurt next year, they're screwed because they invested so much money in just him at running back that it's hard to have someone else there who can play.
                            The key is that the deal is only 4 years. While there's alot of money involved, the length of the contract gives the team some room to manuever around a possible slip-up.

by BoneKrusher
                            <DG> how metal unseen
                            <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

Portis is really the only RB that I would say has done well after his big time new contract.
                              But I agree about giving RB's a lot of money. Especially one who has rarely started. Michael Turner's production amazed me because I thought he'd bust ala Lamont Jordan. While I do think Turner won't be as productive next year, he still is better than I thought he would be.

Comment

Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post

LT really is the only exception to that rule.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information