BOOM! - John Madden Retires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOOM! - John Madden Retires

Just came across first Take on ESPN. WOW - I now feel old, as I remember he was a new broadcaster.

The modern age of broadcasters is officially over. Kalas, Carey, Summerall, Jack Buck, Madden, all gone. I grew up with all of them.

I guess it is appropriate now that Brett Favre is officially gone, that Madden has to hang it up as well.
    Last edited by jnew76; 04-16-2009, 10:00 AM.

confirmed on espn.com.

not shocking, but still huge news.

Comment

Damn. I didn't expect that this year, though I guess he is old enough that it was only a matter of time. Wasn't there a story last year relating to how it was really taking it's toll on him having to ride a bus around the country last year since he won't fly?

Comment

Nooooooooooooooo! He loves Brett Favre more than anything/anyone ever. Brett retires, John does too.

Maybe this had something to do with the passing of Harry Kalas? Kalas was 73, the same age.

Comment

2010 Coach of the Year.

:D Sad to see John go.

Comment

Who's the successor? Cris Collinsworth?

Comment

Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
              Nooooooooooooooo! He loves Brett Favre more than anything/anyone ever. Brett retires, John does too.
              I was thinking that too. Madden retiring is proof Favre ain't coming back.

I'll miss the annual Turducken episode the most. Best holiday special ever.

Comment

That is lame....

Comment

yeah, i might be in the minority, but i liked John Madden, even at the end of his career. just seemed like a likeable guy. having Madden do a game was always the mark of a big game. whether he was the A team with Fox, doing Monday Night Football, or Sunday Night Football, when Madden was there, it was different.

Comment

It's impossible to dislike Madden. He's a legend, but he's been struggling to keep up with what was happening on the field for a few years now. It's time to bow out gracefully.

Thanks for a long history of excitement, quirky sound effects & great commentary. Hell of a coach, too, but I was too young to have any memory of his years w/Oakland.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

So who is going to do the game with Al Michaels now?

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                        So who is going to do the game with Al Michaels now?
                        If I got to choose, it would be Ron Jaworski. great analyst. great football guy.

Comment

Yeah I really liked Madden too. I loved watching the big games with him and Al. Football really won't be the same for me anymore.

Great career, great play by play guy, and funny as hell (without trying most of the time)

Sucky.

Originally posted by fenikz
                          His soft D really turns me off
                          ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

I'll miss games covered by Madden...I never liked Pat Summerall though. I think Madden and Michaels is one of the greatest broadcast teams of all time.

Sig by the sigmaster BoneKrusher. Each one is a masterpiece
                            Originally posted by BaLLiN72
                            i wish NFLDC had something like "wall to wall" where we could see Brodeur and Job's conversations.
                            Originally posted by Job
                            NFLDC would be jizzing itself non-stop.

Comment

If it wasn't for Madden none of us would even care about the accumulation of moisture on a players' backside.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information