Ex-Jag Jimmy Smith faces pot, cocaine charges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-Jag Jimmy Smith faces pot, cocaine charges

Well it sounds like Jimmy Smith is enjoying his retirement. :-)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4090836

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Former Jacksonville Jaguars wide receiver Jimmy Smith was pulled over Wednesday afternoon and found with crack cocaine and marijuana in his car, the Florida Highway Patrol said.

Smith, who played 10 seasons for Jacksonville, was pulled over on Interstate 95 in Jacksonville for excessive window tint on his 2009 Mercedes Benz, Florida Highway Patrol Lt. Bill Leeper said.

The trooper reported that the inside of the car smelled like burnt marijuana. During a search, the trooper found crack cocaine, marijuana and a business card with powder cocaine residue in the car's center console.

Smith faces multiple drug charges, plus a charge of driving with a suspended license. He was being held at the Duval County Jail with no bond set.

Smith retired from the Jaguars in 2006 after playing from 1995 to 2005. He finished with 862 receptions and 12,287 receiving yards and 67 touchdowns. He was a five-time Pro Bowl selection.

Despite the exceptional stats, Smith's career was not without problems.

In 2001, he had three operations to remove scar tissue from his abdomen. Some questioned whether he would play again, but he caught 112 passes for 1,373 yards -- despite being arrested in November that year for suspicion of drunken driving. Tests later revealed he had cocaine in his system. He vehemently denied using the drug.

He was suspended for the first four games of the 2003 season for violating the league's substance-abuse policy. He then publicly acknowledged an addiction and spent several weeks in rehab.

Smith also had problems before joining the Jaguars.

The third receiver selected in the 1992 draft behind Desmond Howard and Carl Pickens, Smith broke his leg and missed most of his rookie season. In 1993, he needed an emergency appendectomy and suffered through infection and stomach problems. He missed the entire year. He didn't play in 1994 after getting cut by Dallas and Philadelphia.

In 1995, he caught on with the expansion Jaguars after his mother sent coach Tom Coughlin a binder of press clippings to help him earn a tryout.

He made the most of his chance, teaming with Keenan McCardell to help land the Jaguars in the playoffs in only their second season.

A guy I always liked.....sad to see things like this happen.

Comment

Looks like Jaguars curse follows you even after you retire

Comment

Well, that sucks. Good luck to him. Not looking good though.

Comment

No wonder he pwned the Joes on Pros vs. Joes.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
          WHO DAT!

Comment

Ehh this is sad.

But I just realized 3 Jaguar receivers have been caught with cocaine. Jimmy Smith, Matt Jones, Reggie Williams (allegedly I think). What a trend.
            I remember: Sean Taylor

Bosanac01

Comment

Originally posted by Nitschke-Hawk View Post
              Ehh this is sad.

But I just realized 3 Jaguar receivers have been caught with cocaine. Jimmy Smith, Matt Jones, Reggie Williams (allegedly I think). What a trend.
              What do you think they do instead of extra practice?

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

So is the jags' WR coach making cash on the side by selling yay/crack or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Hero View Post
                  So is the jags' WR coach making cash on the side by selling yay/crack or something?
                  lol .....(ten).....
                  save Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Hero View Post
                    Seems like it huh? The yola in Jacksonville must be good.

Very sad situation, though. Looks like another stint in rehab is in Jimmy's future.

Comment

I think the real thing to realize from this story is that Jimmy Smith could make the Jags roster today.

Comment

Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
                        I think the real thing to realize from this story is that Jimmy Smith could make the Jags roster today.
                        Ha, that's true. Makes me wonder, too, if this is what led to his abrupt retirement. Perhaps he failed another test a la Ricky Williams and just retired. He was old enough to where people wouldn't question it.

Comment

Smith, who played 10 seasons for Jacksonville, was pulled over on Interstate 95 in Jacksonville for excessive window tint on his 2009 Mercedes Benz, Florida Highway Patrol Lt. Bill Leeper said.
                          Gotta stop that excessive window tint from threatening our community...

by BoneKrusher
                          <DG> how metal unseen
                          <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

i honestly never saw this coming

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.

Comment

wait did he got caught with soft or hard
                              RIP Sean Michael Taylor

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information