X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL Talking about London Superbowl

NFL in talks on London Super Bowl
    By Tim Love

The NFL has had 'substantive talks' with officials in London about holding the Super Bowl in the city, a senior league official has told BBC Sport.

While commissioner Roger Goodell has previously admitted an interest in bringing the game to London, this is the first confirmation of discussions.

"We've spoken on what it would take to host and for us to bring it over," said events vice-president Frank Supovitz.

"The city has all the facilities needed, and in great quantity."

Supovitz was talking in New York City where the NFL Draft will take place this weekend.

"We have had very substantive conversations with the city of London. We've got to the point of exploring the bid document," he added.

"I don't think it's an unrealistic prospect at all" - Mark Waller, NFL Head of Sales

Visit London, the capital's official visitor organisation, confirmed that it was pursuing a long-term ambition to bring the Super Bowl to the city.

"Ever since the NFL began playing games in London we have been in discussions with the NFL about what is involved in staging Super Bowl from the host city perspective," said commercial director David Hornby.

"It continues to be something we discuss on a regular basis, without there being any specific timetable or plan in place."

The venues for the next three Super Bowls have already been decided with Dolphin Stadium in Florida, Dallas Cowboys Stadium in Texas and the Lucas Oil Stadium in Indiana putting together successful bids.

But London has become the focal point for the NFL's desire to expand the sport globally, and bringing the sport's showpiece event to the city appears to be a real possibility.

Mark Waller, NFL Head of Sales and Marketing, said: "The NFL is a global property, has a global audience, and London is an incredible city from a sports fan's perspective. I don't think it's an unrealistic prospect at all."

There is certainly good reason for the NFL to believe that a Super Bowl in London would create sufficient interest for the game to be a success.

In October 2007, the NFL staged its first regular season game outside of the Americas, with over 80,000 fans at Wembley watching the New York Giants defeat the Miami Dolphins.

Last year, 83,000 supporters turned out to watch the New Orleans Saints beat the San Diego Chargers.

Visit London estimate that the match brought about 20m to the city with 7,000 team employees, sponsors and their guests crossing the Atlantic.

Tickets for this year's game in October between the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the New England Patriots sold out more quickly than for the previous two contests.

However, if London is to host one of the biggest sporting events in the world, it will not be for quite some time.

"It won't happen in the next three or four years because we know where the Super Bowls will be, but these are exciting opportunities for us," Supovitz said.
    BBC

----

Interesting. American Football's a fast growing sport over here and the Superbowl would certainly raise the profile but it has a massive way to go before overtaking Football (soccer). I don't see this as much more than a marketing stunt of epic proportions and I don't imagine it's going to be too popular in America...

Hell no thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If you want to get other countries involved with the NFL thats fine but its still Americas game, the Super Bowl shouldn't be played anywhere but here.

Comment

American football fans would be PISSED if they did this. I mean like millions and millions of people, hella pissed off. I get Goodell's push of the game overseas but this would be a major mistake.

Comment

I just saw this and I'm already super pissed off. If this happens , Goodell needs to go. He has no idea how much it would anger people.

edit: 1000!!

Sig by the sigmaster BoneKrusher. Each one is a masterpiece
        Originally posted by BaLLiN72
        i wish NFLDC had something like "wall to wall" where we could see Brodeur and Job's conversations.
        Originally posted by Job
        NFLDC would be jizzing itself non-stop.

Comment

I am only against it because whatever city hosts the SB makes a lot of money and I would prefer to improve the economy of an American city.

Comment

that's not why we american football.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooo

there is no way the owners would pass this unless they are going to make a **** load in their pocket.

Comment

How man fans from America would travel to London to see the game? How many foreign travelers travel to see the Super Bowl now? This move could pay off big for the NFL if there is a big turnout to a London game, but what does that do to fans here? If London goes big then you know there will be a Paris Super Bowl, then a Berlin one, then one in Barcelona, etc. How far are you willing to go before you start to lose your big audience? This is a wait and see move for me. If they hold this it won't have any personal bearing, because I won't be attending a Super Bowl unless it's in my town anyways. It'll just be another Super Bowl at a far off site that I wouldn't go to anyway.
                "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
                ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                  ******* beat me to it. I would definitely protest that.

(Sorry my European friends)
                  Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                  RIP themaninblack

Comment

The fact that this is even in discussion is a complete joke. I'm not even going to get into it, but this is just terrible. Goodell would need to get the boot if this happened. I'm Canadian, but i totally agree that the SB cannot be played anywhere but the United States. I'm also attending the Jets game in Toronto this year, but the less global expansion the better IMO. Not the best financially, but as a fan and how it affects the players who need to go on these trips, i don't agree.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
                    You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                      this basically sums it all up

this is just a bad idea

bonekrusher on the sig magic
                      <beans> libid dont worry man i think fondling big black men is a perfectly worthy career goal
                      <JBond> laughing so hard I am crying

Comment

I agree with not playing the Superbow; in London or anywhere outside the US but to say the less global expansion the better is wrong IMO. There more global fans there is equals first of all more money. Secondly all NFL players with the exception of a very few are American. If people from other countries started playing American football then inevitably there will be more quality players in a number years who could improve the quality of the league. Just like what is happening in Australian Rules, many Gaelic footballers from Ireland are going over and can only make the game better and likewise could happen in the NFL.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

I don't care where it's played, I just care who's playing. I'm not likely to ever go to one anyway (really don't want to). As far as I'm concerned, the Super Bowl is always played on the TV in my living room...
                          ________
                          The Cliff Condo Cosy Beach
                          Last edited by nepg; 09-17-2011, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Vito View Post
                            Hell no thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If you want to get other countries involved with the NFL thats fine but its still Americas game, the Super Bowl shouldn't be played anywhere but here.

Exactly....
                            -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

The NFL tried giving them football before, in 1991-1993, it was World League of American Football. Then in 1995 it was World League, then eventually NFL Europe/NFL Europa. In fact, London had a team: the Monarchs... guess this whole European experiment worked out... oh, wait.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information