No announcement yet.

Thomas Jones to Jets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good trade for the Bears. Benson should have few troubles carrying the load and has looked good in limited appearances, and the Bears now have a higher pick in round 2 to grab a better player.

Comment

The jets get the better end of the deal in my opinion.
      Thomas Jones still has roughly 4 solid years left..and will be a 1100 yard rusher behind that young O-Line. Pennington is vastly under reated and if he
      can stay healthy the jets are in very good position to be a wild card.

The Bears get an unproven prospect and are now forced to play Benson whether he's ready or not. Personally I was never that high on him and thought he wasn't the kind of RB the Bears needed. They lost a team guy in Jones...and it's going to hurt them.

Comment

Originally posted by Severe Punishment View Post
        The jets get the better end of the deal in my opinion.
        Thomas Jones still has roughly 4 solid years left..and will be a 1100 yard rusher behind that young O-Line. Pennington is vastly under reated and if he
        can stay healthy the jets are in very good position to be a wild card.

The Bears get an unproven prospect and are now forced to play Benson whether he's ready or not. Personally I was never that high on him and thought he wasn't the kind of RB the Bears needed. They lost a team guy in Jones...and it's going to hurt them.
        Jones only would have been with the team for one more year anyway.

And all draft picks are unproven. You would take any player that has produced over a draft pick? As for being "forced" to play Benson, he would have started this year regardless. It's his third year in the league, if he's not ready now he never will be.
        Last edited by bearsfan_51; 03-06-2007, 12:52 AM.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

It's a fair deal, and that's all there is too it.

The best thing about this deal, from the Jets' perspective, is that we now do not have to spend a first day pick on a running back. True, we moved down, but that pick would have likely been used on an RB anyhow. This allows us to focus on other areas of need.

Or if the rumor of our trade up to number 2 overall with the Lions for our 1st and a "defensive starter" turns out to be true, we still have 3 first day picks.

The Bears gave up a player who no longer fit with the team, and move up quite a few spots in the process. While everyone in the locker room loves Jones (a good sign for the Jets) he just didn't fit with the ownership as they have big time dollars invested in Benson. He's the A-Rod of the locker room, in that he's getting paid big time dollars, but not many people actually like him and the Bears are stuck with him.

And look at it this way... the Bears now have the Ammo to move up for Brady Quinn, if he slips out of the top 8....

Comment

Originally posted by Xiomera View Post
            What do the Bears do now? They have two picks in the 30's . . . TE and OL?
            Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but IMO that's prime position for a trade up should someone they like slip into a reasonable spot. The values for the 31st and 37th picks would allow Chicago to trade into the top fifteen if they wanted. Perhaps not likely, but a possibility I think.

Comment

Originally posted by NGSeiler View Post
              Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but IMO that's prime position for a trade up should someone they like slip into a reasonable spot. The values for the 31st and 37th picks would allow Chicago to trade into the top fifteen if they wanted. Perhaps not likely, but a possibility I think.
              That's what I was saying about Quinn. Rumors keep swirling that he'll slip out of the top 10... if he does, why don't the Bears get a legit QB by trading up?

Comment

Ah deal makes sense I watched the 5:00 news this morning and they said TJ for the Jets 2nd rounder so I was thinking WTF.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
                http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
                Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
                http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

Originally posted by Non_Sequitur View Post
                  That's what I was saying about Quinn. Rumors keep swirling that he'll slip out of the top 10... if he does, why don't the Bears get a legit QB by trading up?
                  Angelo does not normally trade draft picks in order to move up in the first round of the draft. He rarely trades up, and given that this trade is basically moving up in the draft for Angelo, I really dont expect it to happen twice in the same year.

Besides, I dont think they will pay first round money to a QB when they already have paid first round money to one QB, and spent more $ on their backup. Having three will just create more problems. I have heard the agruments for the Bears to draft a QB this year, but I dont buy them. Next year maybe, but they need to evaluate Grossman this year to see if he is their guy, and if not they still have Griese and they are developing Orton still.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                    i agree completely, and davis could be a great #3 wr for them, which is why i think olsen would be a great pick if he was still there...

bradley has shown more then enough potential, but he hasnt been able to stay on the field, i think he could be approaching a breakout year...ive seen alot of him from college and he's a huge playmaker, he still hasnt reached his full potential so i dont see why the bears would want to go WR so early
                    It normally takes WR about three years to develop, and at such time Moose will be gone, and Berrian and/or Bradley might not be on the team because their contracts will have run out (even if they are resigned the Bears will still need a physical WR to compliment them). Still, thats not enough to draft one in round one, but if Angelo sticks with going with the best athlete avaailabe, there is a good chance that it will be a wr.

Comment

• I just love that we were going to spend that pick on a running back, but now we don't have to, and we still have both picks. I don't see how any Jets fan could be disappointed, as I'd much rather have T.J. carrying the ball than Brian Leonard.

Comment

• Originally posted by frogstomp View Post
                        I just love that we were going to spend that pick on a running back, but now we don't have to, and we still have both picks. I don't see how any Jets fan could be disappointed, as I'd much rather have T.J. carrying the ball than Brian Leonard.
                        The only downside, I suppose, is that Jones is going to get about 12-14 million guaranteed in his new contract. Which is not unreasonable for this market at all, but still a large chunk of change to give a 28 year old runningback as opposed to the small contracts that 2nd round picks demand.

Comment

• Thomas isn't really, in terms of wear and tear, a 28/29 year old back. Most backs at that age, you think they have about 2 or so good seasons left. I think Thomas can have 3-4 quality seasons left before the decline begins.

Who knows, though. We are only speculating on the body, which is an inexact effort to speculate on.

Comment

• Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
                            Thomas isn't really, in terms of wear and tear, a 28/29 year old back. Most backs at that age, you think they have about 2 or so good seasons left. I think Thomas can have 3-4 quality seasons left before the decline begins.

Who knows, though. We are only speculating on the body, which is an inexact effort to speculate on.
                            No I agree. I wouldn't have the same concerns with Jones as I would with others. I think age is somewhat overrated in general as of late anyway. All of these age limits are very flexible in terms of a players history and ability to take care of themselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                              No I agree. I wouldn't have the same concerns with Jones as I would with others. I think age is somewhat overrated in general as of late anyway. All of these age limits are very flexible in terms of a players history and ability to take care of themselves.
                              Jones has averaged 200 carries throughout his carreer that is so low for a guy who ran for almost 5500 yards. RB's can run late in their carreer as long as they're not too banged up. Jones has ALWAYS shared time and will last a lot longer than most expect
                              QB, OG, OLB, WR, CB, MLB, RB, FS

Exactly Why The Jets were the Coolest Team in the NFL under Rex, but Bowles is the man-see Arians speech:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html

Comment

• A side note about Jones -

The guy is one of the most physically fit guys there is. That could potentially help extend his career longer. I am guessing, if utilized correctly, that he has 3-4 good years ahead of him, but I could see more. With Leon Washington and Cedric Houston spelling him (and that's a tandem whose talents mesh well), Thomas should be given enough breathers.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information