Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Offseason Summary Thoughts (Spoiler: NFC East Bias)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offseason Summary Thoughts (Spoiler: NFC East Bias)

Its finally over, and since its that slow time of year, i figure id just post some random thoughts on the offseason.

-The Philadelphia Eagles had the best offseason in the league. I'm not very high on Stacy Andrews, but nabbing Jason Peters, Ellis Hobbs along with Maclin and McCoy, and Clint Ingram, they had an incredible offseason.

The already have an incredible defense, losing Dawkins won't hurt as much as people think, they have Quentin Demps and now got Hobbs to strengthen that secondary. They now have the best oline in the NFL, they have a great TE duo in Celek and Ingram, and with Jackson, Maclin, and Westbrook/McCoy, they can stretch a defense in so many ways, they're going to be tough to beat.

The way they love to screen pass, with Westbrook, Maclin, Jackson, and McCoy they're going to really have some fun out there. Plus their deep ball capabilities are very dangerous. That team is going to stretch the hell out of a defense. On top of that, my main concern with them, which was the health of Westbrook, is a moot point now. McCoy will just step right in and give them very similar play to Westy. They won't miss a beat anymore.

Although the one flaw is still a lack of a power run game. That could ultimately be the deciding factor in their fate this season.

-No homer: but I also felt the Giants had a great offseason. Our draft was great, we have serious depth all across the board, and our pass rush is almost unfair.

Sintim, Robbins, Bernard, and Kiwi. Thats our BACKUP dline. Our pass rush is going to be insane this year.

And with Sintim and Boley on board, we finally have some linebackers worth caring for, although Pierce is still a fat ass.

Offensively, we are obviously a worse team without Plaxico. But I think we'll have enough to be competitors at least. I'm not calling us SB favorites by any means, in fact I think the Eagles are the best in the East right now, but I think we can compete. Andre Brown was a great pick up as well, so was Beckum. We have pieces.

Now we just have to hope and pray the useless man known as Kevin Gilbride will know what to do with em.

-Is Josh McDaniels the Isiah Thomas of football? Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the guys he picked in the draft, but some head scratching moves.

Trading Cutler? epic fail

Drafting a RB in the first round with the 12th pick when you signed 2 RBs in the offseason to go along with Hillis, who thrived last year? epic fail

Trading a 1st you obtained with the Cutler pick for Alphonso Smith? super epic fail

Alienating and losing the confidence of pretty much the whole team before the season even started? Suicide.

I don't hate the picks he made, but i hated what he did in FA, and how he went about getting his guys in the draft were a major head scratcher. This is the problem i have with Bellichick disciples. They all come marching into town thinking they are God, and they flex their muscles and their schemez, and think they can outcoach everyone and be the next coming of Bellichick himself.

But they're not. None of them are, and none of them ever will be. Bellichick wins with players. He's smart enough to understand that. All his disciples are so enamoured with the "philosophy" that they forget the most important piece to a football team is the players themselves. And thats why they all fail miserably.

-The Bears made the right call getting Jarron Gilbert. From my personal scouting of him, I always had him pegged as a Tampa 2 UT, not a 3-4 DE. He goes to a perfect fit, and I think he'll thrive there.

-The Bengals had a great draft, but they have to hope they can get the most out of the talent they have. I have confidence in Andre Brown, but that environment scares me. He could get influenced easily. I love Rey, but again, he needs good people around him, and he doesn't have that in Cinncy. Michael Johnson is just a lazy sack of ****, and needs guys to get on him.

Basically, all 3 guys need a strong leadership presence around them to succeed. Do they have that in Cinncy? I don't know. I like the potential of this draft, and the Bengals could potentially have a sick D next year, but theres a lot of bad vibes in that lockerroom. They have talent on that team, but they have to overcome a lot of politics to realize their potential.

-When I look at what Atlanta is doing, I think one thing: blue collar. And I love it. They are not getting flashy guys, but they are getting hard working blue collar guys who will strengthen that lockerroom and provide quality play. Its more of a team over individual talent philosophy, and I love it. It kind of reminds me of the old school Giants, when we had a bunch of blue collar guys on our roster. Except the major difference of course is this Atlanta team has a qb and those 90s Giants teams didn't.

I really like the direction Atlanta is going in.

-Dallas...erm...yeah. Well, let's look at it this way. Dallas's fate this season really moreso depends on who they already had on the roster, not on their draft. If they can stay healthy to avoid depth concerns, and if Roy Williams can step up, this team can be dangerous.

I really think however, they can be had in the run game. They slant into gaps, mainly because of their lack of a true NT, and the lack of quality on that dline. If you slant wrong, you're done. We saw it happen in the Ravens game last year. Overall I think their defense is fine, but a strong running team should be able to give them some trouble. That offensive line also is getting worse with age.

The difference between the Eagles/Giants, and the Cowboys: The Eagles and Giants are dominant in the trenches. The Cowboys are weak in the trenches. That doesn't bode well for those December/Jan games, which has always been their Achilles heal.

-People sleep on the Redskins. That defense is going to be nasty. It was already nasty, now with Haynesworth and Orakpo, its going to be nastier. I see the NFC East having 3 defenses in the top 5 this year. This being one of them.

Everyone wrote off their offensive aquisitions last year, but i think thats unfair. It takes time. And Zorn has a year under his belt. I dunno, I just think they are getting written off too soon. I like their chances.

-I don't like what Seattle did. First off, I know I'll get killed for this, but I don't view Aaron Curry as a top 5 talent. He's eerily similar to AJ Hawk. He does everything good, but what does he do great? He's a "safe" pick, but he's not going to be a guy who changes a game. I don't see the value there. On top of that, you let go of LeeRoy Hill, which makes this a sideways move. On top of that, you pass up on Eugene Monroe? Bad choices.

I don't know how Jim Mora tricked Seattle into giving him the job, but I don't like the future in Seattle.

-The Chiefs...look, I can see why they drafted Tyson Jackson. I like his game a lot, and think he's going to be a good player. And I understand that Pioli builds his 3-4 defense from the trenches up, which is what you're supposed to do. And I also understand that no pass rusher was worth a top 3 pick, bc I also had most of the 2nd round pass rushers graded similarly to the 1st round guys, and I also believe that Curry is not as special as advertised.

But...why not get Raji? Raji would be the NT they are looking for, and in my eyes, would give more than Tyson Jackson to that 3-4 defense. And if not Raji, why not take Eugene Monroe.

I know everyone says "oh well they have Brandon Albert. So what? Albert was a top 15 pick, move his ass to RT and establish yourselves a dominant pair of book ends to protect the guy you just gave 36 million to play qb.

I think at the end of the season, we'll all like this pick. I really do. I think Tyson Jackson was a good call, but I also think they could have made a better call in Raji or Monroe.

-People want to kill SD for taking Larry English. Not me. I love the pick. First off, I feel Shaun Phillips is overrated, and his contract is coming up. Also, Merriman's contract is coming up and you never know how he responds to ACL surgery. On top of that, I LOVE Larry English. I agree with Mayock, I see Lamar Woodley in him. He's a great pass rusher, and I had him graded very similarly to Orakpo. Good call. I thought he would be a 2nd round steal, but in the middle of the 1st, thats right where I think he should have gone.

-As I've eluded to earlier, I honestly believe that the 2nd round pass rushers are just as high caliber as the 1st round guys. Sintim, Barwin, Kruger, Brown, all those guys are so similar to Orakpo, Matthews, and Maybin (who I think will bust) I see no reason to reach for a pass rusher in the top 10. Which is why none went that far.

And this draft, to me was all about the 2nd round. I think the teams that went back and collected a myriad of 2nd round picks were the smart teams. The talent in the 2nd round was just as good as the 1st round. And you're talking a lot less money. It was a great idea to collect 2nd round picks this year.

-Baltimore: Michael Oher + Paul Kruger = win.

-Is it just me or is Pittsburgh drafting players that could double up as both guys who can fit LeBeau's 3-4 scheme, but also guys who would transition easily into a Tampa 2 scheme?

Woodley, Timmons, now Hood...i dunno. We'll see what happens.

Ok, theres plenty more I can write, but I'm getting lazy now. I probably wrote enough as is.

I'll add more later if need be.

-I love what the Jaguars did. Games are won and lost in the trenches, and the Jags have a great oline on paper now. Monroe was a steal at #8, they picked up Tra Thomas who still has some gas left on the tank, and Britton. Now Im not a big Britton fan, I hate short arms on my tackles, but I can see them moving him inside to LG or play RT. Id prefer Britton at LG, and Thomas at RT with Monroe at LT. Manawai at RG, thats a pretty damn good oline. They need to gel, but they'll be pretty damn good. Invest in MJD early in fantasy football.

Not to mention that Holt is underrated and still has gas left in the tank as well. Watch him have a bounceback year in Jacksonville. So will my boy David Garrard. Now they gotta hope Reggie Nelson and that defense has a bounceback year too. I love Groves and Harvey, and I love Nelson. I think Mathis is overrated, but we'll see. This draft will depend on 1 thing: Was it worth taking Monroe over Raji? Having Raji with Harvey and Groves would have gave them the best young promising dline in the league. Monroe gives them a franchise LT for the next 5 years minimum. But its easier finding a LT than it is a guy like BJ Raji. Raji could have been an Albert Haynesworth like presence on that dline.

Me personally, Id go with Raji. Im a defense nut. But I still love the Monroe pick. It was definitely safer.

-I like the Titans offense. With more creativity out of the use of Chris Johnson, this offense can be nasty. They have an incredible oline, Collins is underrated as a qb, they have a solid TE set, and their WRs now with Britt are legit. If they can use Chris Johnson better in the pass game, this offense can be decent.

And don't sleep on my boy Kevin Vickerson. Remember the name. He's going to have a great year. I like the DT pickup in the draft, because we don't know if Vickerson is an every down guy and a rotation is probably better. Round 2 may have been early, but they have a great dline coach and Fisher knows what he's doing.

They need upgrades in the LB core though. They need a stud playmaker in the LB core. This defense won't be as good without Fat Al, but its still going to be good. A pass rusher is needed too. I don't like their End rotation all that much.

-Being a NE Patriot fan and a fan of the draft must be frustrating. I don't like the constant acquisitions of old players in FA, and I don't like the fact they passed on pass rushers in the draft. I like Chung, and I like Brace, but I think the picks could have been used more effectively. Now they have a solid safety duo in Merriweather and Chung, and the acquisition of Brace always them to rotate NTs which gives them the ability to run a 3 man front all 3 downs, which is HUGE for a 2 gap Parcells 3-4 style defense.

But the lack of pass rushing backers could bite them in the butt. There were so many quality guys in the 2nd round too. They had their pick of any of them, and passed on all of them. Thats a lot of faith in Crable and Thomas. We'll see if it was a good idea.

Trading Hobbs is putting a lot of faith in their 2nd year CBs too as well as Butler. Vollmer over Beatty was questionable. I love the pick of Brandon Tate though, and while I do knock them for passing on pass rushers, I do like Chung and Brace. They just do things differently, and while it leaves the rest of us scratching our heads, it works. So you can't knock them.

-I liked Sanchez more than Stafford before Mayock said it. So I think the Jets made a wise move in getting their guy. Im not a big fan of him starting this year however.

-You won't find a bigger Parcells knobslobber than me. But I don't like what he did with this draft. Pat White in the 2nd? Don't like that at all. Vontae Davis over a pass rusher? Don't like that either. I won't be surprised if the Dolphins have a down year this year, especially with the Pats getting Brady back and the Jets getting better.

-Didn't like what the Bills did at all. Don't like Maybin, I think he's going to bust, and not addressing OT was a head scratcher. Factor in a bad coaching staff, a qb who I was high on, but now I question if he's become gun shy, and a guy like TO who will destroy his confidence, and its not looking good for Buffalo.

My boy Kawika Mitchell is a beast though.

-I like the pickups of Donald Brown and Fili Moala for the Colts. The Colts love to spin and Moala brings a guy inside who can do just that. That dline is going to be hard to block on 3rd down. And Brown is just a great player. He was my favorite back in this draft. The Colts want to be more of a running team, and with Brown and Addai they can be just that.
    Last edited by bigbluedefense; 05-03-2009, 03:04 PM.

holy ****, i wrote a lot, and thats not even half of what i wanna say.

Comment

I read this and I like a lot of your ideas and thoughts. Much respect for putting in the time to do that.

My main areas I want to touch on are as follows

1. Pittsburgh's drafting. I remember when they drafted Timmons I knew they were dratfing people that could fit both C2 4-3 and 3-4 types. If LaBeau ever kicks the bucket they have the personel to run hybrid or focus on one or the other. I think it is very smart, and obviously has produced results.

2. The Chiefs off season. I really feel that this off season was a lame duck offseason for Pioli and I like the fact he did get a franchse Qb and a veteran stop gap presence on the D for a 2nd round pick. Highway robbery no matter what the Pats think of the value of mid to late 1st round picks. No one has aclue..even Pioli as to who fits and who does not fit for that defense. That's why I think they brought in Vrable and Zach to help with a transition. They could have drafted Raji yes, but they could have felt the versatility that TJack provides is more valuable during the transition process than Raji? I don't know. I think KC made enough moves this off season to prove some points that this TEAM is going in a new direction and that no job is safe and no one is guaranteed a spot. But the overall off season I don't even want to grade until next year or the year after.
      Last edited by bored of education; 04-28-2009, 11:51 AM.
      my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
      <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
      <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
      <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
      Originally posted by Hermstheman83
      What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

I just want to know how everyone is getting such inside access to the Bengals' locker room?

We drafted Andre Smith btw, not Andre Brown.

^A Bonekrusher production^
        Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Comment

Originally posted by bored of education View Post
          I read this and I like a lot of your ideas and thoughts. Much respect for putting in the time to do that.

My main areas I want to touch on are as follows

1. Pittsburgh's drafting. I remember when they drafted Timmons I knew they were dratfing people that could fit both C2 4-3 and 3-4 types. If LaBeau ever kicks the bucket they have the personel to run hybrid or focus on one or the other. I think it is very smart, and obviously has produced results.

2. The Chiefs off season. I really feel that this off season was a lame duck offseason for Pioli and I like the fact he did get a franchse Qb and a veteran stop gap presence on the D for a 2nd round pick. Highway robbery no matter what the Pats think of the value of mid to late 1st round picks. No one has aclue..even Pioli as to who fits and who does not fit for that defense. That's why I think they brought in Vrable and Zach to help with a transition. They could have drafted Raji yes, but they could have felt the versatility that TJack provides is more valuable during the transition process than Raji? I don't know. I think KC made enough moves this off season to prove some points that this TEAM is going in a new direction and that no job is safe and no one is guaranteed a spot. But the overall off season I don't even want to grade until next year or the year after.
          its odd finding guys who fit the 3-4 and Tampa 2 philosophy. the mentality of the positions are so different, yet somehow the Steelers made it work. great scouting on their part.

My thing is, what kind of 3-4 is Pioli building for? He's always been drafting for the Parcells 2 gap 3-4 system, and raji would thrive in that scheme. So will Jackson, but Raji is the more important position.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
            its odd finding guys who fit the 3-4 and Tampa 2 philosophy. the mentality of the positions are so different, yet somehow the Steelers made it work. great scouting on their part.

My thing is, what kind of 3-4 is Pioli building for? He's always been drafting for the Parcells 2 gap 3-4 system, and raji would thrive in that scheme. So will Jackson, but Raji is the more important position.
            MAYBE the Chiefs will sign Wilfork if he doesn't get an extention :)

nvm that would be alot of money invested in the front line :/
            my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
            <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
            <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
            <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
            Originally posted by Hermstheman83
            What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

I always like your in depth writing. More more more.

Comment

Ooooh, do the AFC South next!!! :D
                Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

Would like to hear your thoughts on GB. To me, their draft made the offseason.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by TitanHope View Post
                    Ooooh, do the AFC South next!!! :D
                    give me some time, i'll edit them in. i need to do more hw on it first.

Comment

Originally posted by umphrey View Post
                      Would like to hear your thoughts on GB. To me, their draft made the offseason.
                      liked it. although I don't know if i'd choose Matthews over Sintim or Kruger, or even Barwin in a 3-4 defense.

People underestimate how much Corey Williams did for that defense. Losing him, along with injuries to Barnett are the main reason why that defense took such a nosedive this year.

Now with Raji, you have that anchor against the run. Barnett is healthy. Hawk will be in the one role where he might succeed in. Matthews is in a nice role, the only issue i have is Kampman, and how he translates to the new scheme.

Also, Matthews legs are very thin. He needs to bulk up to be an effective 3-4 Rushbacker. Can he bulk up anymore?

I dunno. I always viewed him as an attacking 4-3 linebacker because of his thin lower body.

All in all, I think the defense improved, and I think GB will be a contender for the North next year. I'm a big Rodgers fan, and think they can have a bounceback year.

While the North doesn't have as much talent as the East, the competitiveness of the division will be very entertaining to watch. I think 3 teams have a shot to win it.

Comment

Given the genetics, I'd say Matthews will be a productive player, if not more, for a long time in the league. He has a great head on his shoulders, and I think his hips are wide enough to accommodate another 5-10 lbs of muscle on the legs. He needs to add weight and strength, and that should come next year. For now, they can kinda hide him in the scheme.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
                          Given the genetics, I'd say Matthews will be a productive player, if not more, for a long time in the league. He has a great head on his shoulders, and I think his hips are wide enough to accommodate another 5-10 lbs of muscle on the legs. He needs to add weight and strength, and that should come next year. For now, they can kinda hide him in the scheme.
                          great point.

I love everything about the guy. My main concern is his ability to pack on that lower body muscle. If he can do that, I think they got themselves one hell of a player.

I felt Sintim was the safer pick. And I felt in a 3-4 defense, Sintim could have been DROY.

In our scheme, he'll need some time to adjust, but I still like what he can potentially bring to the Giants defense.

Comment

Sintim is a safer pick because he has the physical build to impact immediately. However, I think Matthews has excellent long term potential, and the family history doesn't lie. Matthews needs to add the bulk down low regardless of scheme or position. I think he can be a SAM, WILL, or rush backer.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Originally posted by BBD
                              give me some time, i'll edit them in. i need to do more hw on it first.
                              Lol, you don't have to right now. I haven't even graded the Titans draft yet... I should probably get around to doing that...
                              Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                              Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                              Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information