McNabb a future Hall of Famer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McNabb a future Hall of Famer?

After the draft, I read (I believe on CBS Sportsline) someone say that Donovan McNabb is a "future Hall of Famer." This seemed preposterous to me when I first read it, but I thought that my memory of his number were errant. After looking at his numbers, coming from such a pass-heavy offense, I feel the claim is just as preposterous as it was before. Donovan McNabb has been a good QB in the NFL, but he has never been good enough in his era to consider him a Hall of Fame player. If he were to retire right now, I would say there is no way that he should get inducted. Even if he continued for the next 4 years along the same path, I do not believe he should be considered any more than a guy like Matt Hasselbeck or Rich Gannon.

What do you guys think?

Oldie but a goodie.

I agree with you completely. He's a franchise QB in that he's a guy who you can trust at the QB position and that you won't have to worry about replacing but he's not an all time great and thus doesn't deserve to be in the HoF.

Comment

I think he can be if he plays 2-3 more years as the starter. He isn't all that different from Jim Kelly. What's the difference? Winning like 2 or 3 more games? Taking him alone, I agree with you both, but I can see the argument as he has provided numbers just as good (with a few more years tacked on,) and had almost as much success as other HOF QBs.

Follow Me on Twitter!
      https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

Right now, McNabb would unquestionably not be a HOF QB, and I am one of his biggest fans. He just hasn't done enough for it, and though he has been one of the top QBs in recent years, he is nowhere near HOF calibur. He will need at least 3 more seasons of great production and a Championship to be in, IMO. He still can get in, but it'd take a lot.
        Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

I have been saying he has a solid shot for years now. He's not in yet, but he could be with a few more years of production.

Comment

I know these things are gonna get kind of old after a while when people just put [insert player name][insert question and question mark] but I feel like McNabb almost has a shot at being a Hall of Famer. Living in the Philadelphia area, I feel like McNabb is greatly underappreciated.

He was drafted in 1999 over Ricky Williams which started the whole thing but he has given the Philadelphia area some consistency, whether they appreciate it or not. You could say the same things you do about Big Ben on how his defense led the team some of these years. Fact is, Andy Reid has drawn up 60 percent passing plays in the last 5 years.

- He is the Eagles' all-time leader in career wins, pass attempts, pass completions, passing yards, and passing touchdowns
            - Four consecutive NFC East division championships (2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004)
            - Five NFC Championship Games (1-4) Joined Ken Stabler (Raiders), Jim Kelly (Bills) and Troy Aikman (Cowboys), in 2004, as the only QBs since 1970 to take their teams to four or more consecutive conference championship games.
            - A Super Bow birth (L to the Pats)
            - 194 TDs: 90 INTs (Third Best all time ratio[2.16] behind Brady and Young)
            - 29,320 Passing yards
            - 58.9 Completion percentage
            - 85.9 QB Rating
            - In his first full season as a NFL starter in 2000, McNabb finished second in the Associated Press MVP voting (24-11) to St. Louis RB Marshall Faulk, who set the NFL record for most TDs scored in a season.
            - Forget the TO controversy, TO carries it everywhere, thats apparent.
            - Limited Weapons
            - Became the first player in NFL history to finish a season with 30+ TD passes (31) and fewer than 10 INTs (8) in 2004
            - Became the 4th-fastest QB in NFL history to reach the 50-win plateau in just 71 starts, vs. Bal. (10/31/04)
            - One of 6 players in NFL history to have amassed over 25,000 passing yards (29,320) and 3,000 rushing yards (3,109)
            - NFC Pro Bowl squad - 2001-05

They were debating this on the local news last night here. The consensus is if he were to stop playing right now, he would not be. But, 5 more years of production, he would have to be atleast considered. He doesnt have a ring or an MVP award so if he were to get either in the next 4-5 years, does he have a legitimate shot?

I'm generally not a McNabb supporter, or Eagle supporter at that but I found this interesting because if he were to win a Super Bowl then I would consider him having a solid chance at the HOF. Figured it was the offseason and there really isnt anything else to talk about so if a mod thinks it should be in the team forum then by all means move it.
            http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29775

Already a thread about it. I wouldn't know about it but it's one of the very few threads I started. From February 2, 2009. About 3 months ago.

Comment

He'll get in. If he were to retire today I'm not so sure he would get in, but I have no doubt he'll do enough to finish his career to get in Canton.

Comment

He definately shouldn't get in before someone like Gannon IMO. McNabb has put up good numbers and has led the team to everything but winning a superbowl. If he keeps at this pace (Maclin and Peters can only make things better) then he might get in at some point. Not a first balloter, but one of those 65 year old guys that gets in.

If he gets in before TD and Atwater, I am boycotting the HoF

Sig by the sigmaster BoneKrusher. Each one is a masterpiece
                Originally posted by BaLLiN72
                i wish NFLDC had something like "wall to wall" where we could see Brodeur and Job's conversations.
                Originally posted by Job
                NFLDC would be jizzing itself non-stop.

Comment

Hall of Solid maybe

Comment

if i had a team of all time players i wouldn't be upset at all if mcnabb was my QB. his qb presence is one of the best ive ever seen and he has a great arm. i mean his resume may not be HOF worthy, but i wouldn't be picky if he was my QB on an all time team

Comment

I think McNabb is appreciated more outside of Philly than he is by Eagles fans.

He probably needs a couple more years of solid production, but I wouldn't be surprised, 5 - 10 years after he reaches eligibility, to see McNabb voted into Canton.

If he played for the Redskins, we would be ready to knock someone out if they said McNabb didn't belong in the HOF when he retired!!

Comment

I think the consensus is that after 3-5 more years of solid production, and he has the tools for it now, he could have a shot. But right now, he doesn't have the credentials.

Comment

if he plays a few more years, he could (could) get in. He'll need to win a ring if he wants to be semi-sure.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                          don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
                            if he plays a few more years, he could (could) get in. He'll need to win a ring if he wants to be semi-sure.
                            Well I think this year is the best oppurtunity he'll have to win that ring.

Comment

Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
                              Well I think this year is the best oppurtunity he'll have to win that ring.
                              he's got a good chance, although obviously we don't know what he'll have around him a year from now... :D

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                              don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information