No announcement yet.

McNabb a future Hall of Famer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wanted to be non biased (for once) So I'm looking at McNabb with four more average seasons (average for him) Average was determined based on his current career totals divided by the number of seasons.

Numbers (All Career with 4 more average years)
    Completions: 3547.6
    Rank (all time NFL): 9-10 depending on Kerry Collin's numbers for the rest of his career.

Attempts: 6024.2

Yards: 41048

TD: 272
    Rank: 10 - 14 Depending on the performances of Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Kerry Collins, and Drew Brees.

Records
    1st - Most consecutive passes completed 24
    2nd - Lowest interception percentage. 2.12 (second to Neil O'Donald with 2.11)
    t-3rd Most games with 4 or more TD's in a single season.

Accolades

5x Pro Bowler (2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004)
    NFC Offensive Player of the Year (2004)
    NFC Champion (2004).

He has HOF numbers there is no doubt about that (assuming the 4 years of average production) You know who else is a HOFer I was kind of surprised Drew Bledsoe. Drew Brees would likely have similar or better numbers as well. I have to say that he is borderline but that interception percentage is something that will put him over.
    Stafford Sig by touchdownrams the rest of the sig by Sig Master Bone Krusher Avy by King of all avys renji

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Originally posted by njx9
    oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.

Comment

• Without getting into the numbers debate, I will mention this. There are, in my opinion, definately two and probably three Hall of Fame Quarterbacks still playing. They are Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and possibly Kurt Warner. All three have a number of things in common, things that Donovan McNabb lacks. Payton Manning, Tom Brady and Kurt Warner have all been named league MVP, have all been named All-Pro, and have all led Superbowl winning teams.

How can you declare a player to be amongst the best of All-Time when he has never even been the 2nd best Quarterback of the year? McNabb is a good, Franchise Quarterback. You don't get into the Hall of Fame by being good. You get in by being great. Maybe if McNabb was to win a Superbowl, finally get a ring, then yeah maybe he could have a shot. But if McNabb retires now he doesn't go to the Hall of Fame. Manning, Brady and probably Warner would.
      Originally posted by George Carlin

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.

Comment

• I'd put him in. Many people blame him for the Eagles not winning a Super Bowl, but the fact is he's been the MVP of a very good, consistently top 10 franchise for the last decade. I blame the Eagles not getting over the hump more on the lack of skill position talent on offense. Mcnabb has been throwing to below average targets and handing off to an inconsistent rushing attack. The Eagles couldn't even muster 50 rushing yards in their 24-21 Super Bowl loss to the Patriots. Guess who threw for all 21 of the Eagles points?

Comment

• Originally posted by Seamus2602 View Post
          Without getting into the numbers debate, I will mention this. There are, in my opinion, definately two and probably three Hall of Fame Quarterbacks still playing. They are Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and possibly Kurt Warner. All three have a number of things in common, things that Donovan McNabb lacks. Payton Manning, Tom Brady and Kurt Warner have all been named league MVP, have all been named All-Pro, and have all led Superbowl winning teams.

How can you declare a player to be amongst the best of All-Time when he has never even been the 2nd best Quarterback of the year? McNabb is a good, Franchise Quarterback. You don't get into the Hall of Fame by being good. You get in by being great. Maybe if McNabb was to win a Superbowl, finally get a ring, then yeah maybe he could have a shot. But if McNabb retires now he doesn't go to the Hall of Fame. Manning, Brady and probably Warner would.
          Well no one in their right minds would put McNabb in the hall if he retired right now. The only name that can be dropped to the defense of McNabb is Sonny Jurgensen he is in the hall of fame never won a super bowl and was never named MVP. McNabb has across the board better numbers than him (assuming 4 more years of his career average seasons). So now the biggest question arises what numbers matter? When he retired Jurgansen was top 5 in TDs completions and yards all time. I think that most of his career he couldn't be considered one of the top two QBs of his time either (Johnny Unitas and Frank Tarkanian would likely hold those honors). If we only went on pure numbers then McNabb would have to be in the hall because he is beating Jugensen in all statistical categories. But if they do put McNabb into the hall with his numbers we would likely have to put in Karry Collins, Drew Bledsoe and Drew Brees as well does that water down the hall?

So basically the argument boils down to...

Con: McNabb never had a SB or MVP.
          Pro: There are players in the hall that do not have SB or MVP.
          Con There are 3 that do. All of them have completed something that McNabb hasn't.
          Pro: His numbers are better than most of the QBs that are in the Hall.
          Con: Those numbers are augmented by the times he played in which favored offenses.

or to put it simply accomplishments vs numbers do either alone get you into the hall?
          Stafford Sig by touchdownrams the rest of the sig by Sig Master Bone Krusher Avy by King of all avys renji

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Originally posted by njx9
          oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.

Comment

• Originally posted by broth223 View Post
            Well no one in their right minds would put McNabb in the hall if he retired right now. The only name that can be dropped to the defense of McNabb is Sonny Jurgensen he is in the hall of fame never won a super bowl and was never named MVP. McNabb has across the board better numbers than him (assuming 4 more years of his career average seasons). So now the biggest question arises what numbers matter? When he retired Jurgansen was top 5 in TDs completions and yards all time. I think that most of his career he couldn't be considered one of the top two QBs of his time either (Johnny Unitas and Frank Tarkanian would likely hold those honors). If we only went on pure numbers then McNabb would have to be in the hall because he is beating Jugensen in all statistical categories. But if they do put McNabb into the hall with his numbers we would likely have to put in Karry Collins, Drew Bledsoe and Drew Brees as well does that water down the hall?

So basically the argument boils down to...

Con: McNabb never had a SB or MVP.
            Pro: There are players in the hall that do not have SB or MVP.
            Con There are 3 that do. All of them have completed something that McNabb hasn't.
            Pro: His numbers are better than most of the QBs that are in the Hall.
            Con: Those numbers are augmented by the times he played in which favored offenses.

or to put it simply accomplishments vs numbers do either alone get you into the hall?
            In order for McNabb to even have a chance he needs to A... keep up a high level of production, B... win a Superbowl, C... be named MVP. If he can do two of those, espectially if it is B and C, I'd say he is a lock to go in, but that remains to be seen. If he can get one of either B or C, then the argument will be real tough. But as it stands now, he is not a HOFer...
            Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

• Originally posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
              In order for McNabb to even have a chance he needs to A... keep up a high level of production, B... win a Superbowl, C... be named MVP. If he can do two of those, espectially if it is B and C, I'd say he is a lock to go in, but that remains to be seen. If he can get one of either B or C, then the argument will be real tough. But as it stands now, he is not a HOFer...
              Just win a big game or come up huge consistently. He has his shot in front of the world during the superbowl, the last drive. The one where TO said McNabb got tired. Also, clock management was an issue as well, which falls on Andy and the QB.

McNabb needs to win big games consistency to go along with his stellar production.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
                Just win a big game or come up huge consistently. He has his shot in front of the world during the superbowl, the last drive. The one where TO said McNabb got tired. Also, clock management was an issue as well, which falls on Andy and the QB.

McNabb needs to win big games consistency to go along with his stellar production.
                That is kind of assumed there with the superbowl winning, you know what I mean?
                Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

• Originally posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
                  That is kind of assumed there with the superbowl winning, you know what I mean?
                  Well you can win a superbowl and not really do much because your special teams scores points, or defense ints alot of passes too.

Comment

Working...
                  X

Debug Information