Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Only few of the Rivals 100 make a Pro roster.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ngata in HOF ???????? Umm, let his career PLAY out. Now Peterson, was a Pro Football HOF'er in highschool.

Comment

Interesting that the Vikings now have 2 #1 overalls in AP and Harvin

Comment

Originally posted by EricCartmann View Post
        But of course, it is something, and something is always better than nothing. Looking at the Rivals Recruit Rankings by teams in 2005, and how these teams fared in 2008:

USC Rivals Recruting Class in 2005 was #1, and in 2008 this team finished ranked #2 (You can say this recruiting class lived up to expectations)

OU #2 in 2005, and finished ranked #5 2008 (You can say this recruiting class lived up to expectations)

Florida #15 in 2005, and finished ranked #3 in 2008 (You can say this recruiting class exceeded expectations)

Utah #59 in 2005, and finished ranked #3 in 2008 (You can say this recruiting class exceeded expectations).

Tennessee, Texas A&M, Miami, Michigan, and Nebraska also had huge recruiting classes in 2005, but none did much of anything in 2008.

On the flip side, you have TCU, BYU, and Georgia Tech all had recruiting classes ranked in the bottom half of D1, but all finished in the top 25.

A good recruiting class does not seem to guarantee much of anything. It is still a coin flip at the end of the day.
        if you have a good recruiting class (recent history) opposed to another teams bad recruiting class (recent history), i'd say the good recruting class has more than a coin flips chance of being better. maybe like a dice. give the bad recruiting class one of the numbers on it and roll.

Comment

Originally posted by EricCartmann View Post
          I was going over the Rivals Top 100 recruits through the years, and noticed few if any make it to an NFL roster. Actually very few seem to even make an impact in college.

Of the 300 players selected as the top 100 recruits coming out of high school between 2002-2004, I am only seeing 2 Potential NFL Hall of Famers, Haloti Ngata (#2 in 2002), Adriane Peterson (#1 in 2004). Still too early to comment on guys from the Rivals 2005 class.

So what's my point? Point is don't get too happy if your school got a "good" recruiting class, it does not mean jack.
          This is a fairly brutal post/topic.

First, and correct me if i'm wrong, the Rival recruit list is for High School to the pros, so how they turn out in the NFL is nothing of relevance. Their is an entire draft process for the college to NFL, and even after that, many busts occur. Expecting anything from a high school list is just being dumb and has nothing to do with anything.

You are only seeing 2 potential HoF guys in that 3 year span? Sooooo, what is your point. Do you know how many people make the HoF? Do you think you are a bit premature? Let us not set our sights too high, as the HoF is a pretty unique list. Why not talk Pro Bowls or sometihng of meaning?

The lack of Rivals in the NFL and HoF means don't get excited for a good recruiting class? You have done nothing to prove that people shouldn't. The NFL doesn't matter in this instance for a college team. The fact that you put this in the NFL forum makes it even more humourous. Does a player not making it in the NFL mean that he does nothing in college? I do believe that many top college players don't translate to the NFL, even some Heisman winners. I'd be pretty excited to get them in a recruiting class.....

I may be missing something, but this doesn't make any sense to me.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
          You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
            Texas also had a #1 recruiting class in 2002 I believe that led to their 05 championship, they are consistently a top 10 team but that was the strongest class probably in ten years.
            and that happened with 3 of their 5 stars busting. that class was amazing, but it was pretty much VY who made that class notable.

Comment

The percentage of five star players drafted is higher than the percentage of four star players drafted.

The percentage of four star players drafted is higher than the percentage of three star players drafted.

The percentage of three star players drafted is higher than the percentage of two star players drafted.

The percentage of two star players drafted is higher than the percentage of non-ranked players drafted.

So the guys are obviously doing something right. It's not an exact science, but for the most part higher ranked players make more impact than lower ranked players. But a few thousand players sign D-1 football scholarships each year, so of course some mistakes will be made or some players missed out on.
              Virginia Tech.
              ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

I personally love when 2 & 3 "star" recruits become top 5 picks (like Curry.) I just like cheering for the underdogs I guess.

Originally posted by Tebowfan85
                too bad the Sea hawks are starting Hasselback and not Whitehorsest (sp)They are gonna loose any ways .

Comment

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/200...sted-tha/#cont

In 2005, Rivals.com ranked 28 men as five-star football recruits. The players were the cream of the crop, the top football players in America. They signed to play for top teams across the country, from USC to Miami, Penn State to Oklahoma.

There was just one problem: Turns out they were more likely to be arrested than drafted by the NFL
                  Kind of interesting.

Comment

Well, I just reread Rivals predictions for the 2009 draft and it was generally terrible.
                    As for predicting recruiting classes, you'd be surprised how ratings on high school prospects change quickly when one of them is suddenly sought by a number of top colleges. It is amazing how fast their ratings jump from a 2 star to a 4 or 5 star based just on who is recruiting them.
                    Does anybody here really think Rivals has the staff to scout a large # of high school prospects??? They rely on hype a lot more than fans realize.
                    And proud of it!!!

Comment

It's not so much hype as it is trust. Rivals, and fans, should trust coaching staffs to diagnose who the better players are. If a player has offers from the top schools then he likely is worthy of a high rating.

I would say coaches of many schools buy into hype more than Rivals. You would be suprised how many college coaches offer players based on their Rival's star rating.

So, basically it is a positive feedback system. Rivals buys into offer hype from coaches, and then other coaches will offer that player due to their Rivals rating.

And the whole bit about college coaches checking Rivals is not a joke, it happens.
                      Virginia Tech.

Comment

Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
                        It's not so much hype as it is trust. Rivals, and fans, should trust coaching staffs to diagnose who the better players are. If a player has offers from the top schools then he likely is worthy of a high rating.

I would say coaches of many schools buy into hype more than Rivals. You would be suprised how many college coaches offer players based on their Rival's star rating.

So, basically it is a positive feedback system. Rivals buys into offer hype from coaches, and then other coaches will offer that player due to their Rivals rating.

And the whole bit about college coaches checking Rivals is not a joke, it happens.
                        The top programs in the NCAA spend an absurd amount of money on their scouting departments. They may use Rivals as a beginning resource but hardly depend on it for their final decisions. The farther down the feeding chain a NCAA school is, it is likely they lack the scouting/financial resources of the top programs and have little choice but to use Rival's ratings. Even in the NFL, the more successful franchises spend a lot on scouting and the chronic losers often lack the financial resources to compete on an equal footing.
                        And proud of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                          The top programs in the NCAA spend an absurd amount of money on their scouting departments. They may use Rivals as a beginning resource but hardly depend on it for their final decisions. The farther down the feeding chain a NCAA school is, it is likely they lack the scouting/financial resources of the top programs and have little choice but to use Rival's ratings. Even in the NFL, the more successful franchises spend a lot on scouting and the chronic losers often lack the financial resources to compete on an equal footing.
                          No, major programs have been known to use Rivals ratings as a source of recruiting. It makes them look better to get hyped players. VT's Rivals guy, one of the better and unbiased ones there are, has even said he has heard of multiple schools doing it. Not VT, maybe one reason our recruiting classes are chronically underrated, but other programs. I've heard UNC, for example.

And yes, they spend a ton of money. But that doesn't mean they don't do some idiotic things or give into hype.
                          Virginia Tech.

Comment

Originally posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
                            This is a fairly brutal post/topic.

First, and correct me if i'm wrong, the Rival recruit list is for High School to the pros, so how they turn out in the NFL is nothing of relevance. Their is an entire draft process for the college to NFL, and even after that, many busts occur. Expecting anything from a high school list is just being dumb and has nothing to do with anything.

You are only seeing 2 potential HoF guys in that 3 year span? Sooooo, what is your point. Do you know how many people make the HoF? Do you think you are a bit premature? Let us not set our sights too high, as the HoF is a pretty unique list. Why not talk Pro Bowls or sometihng of meaning?

The lack of Rivals in the NFL and HoF means don't get excited for a good recruiting class? You have done nothing to prove that people shouldn't. The NFL doesn't matter in this instance for a college team. The fact that you put this in the NFL forum makes it even more humourous. Does a player not making it in the NFL mean that he does nothing in college? I do believe that many top college players don't translate to the NFL, even some Heisman winners. I'd be pretty excited to get them in a recruiting class.....

I may be missing something, but this doesn't make any sense to me.
                            I did not think that post was harsh one bit. You just seemed to disagree and there is nothing wrong with that.

I believe each year there are 4-5 players inducted into the HOF. You would think that Rivals could at least nail 2 a year? However, my main point was not really the NFL HOF, it is Rivals top recruits and their impact in college, I don't see Rivals 100 top athletes even making an impact in college much less the Pro's. Big Impact in Pros to me means HOF. Again maybe I should say "Pro Bowlers" instead of HOF'ers. So I do apologize for that. Can you ever forgive me like the way Jesus forgave the Romans?

Also please do forgive me for putting this subject in the wrong section.

I am glad to have finally met the guy who makes all the rules and has final say.

Comment

Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
                              No, major programs have been known to use Rivals ratings as a source of recruiting. It makes them look better to get hyped players. VT's Rivals guy, one of the better and unbiased ones there are, has even said he has heard of multiple schools doing it. Not VT, maybe one reason our recruiting classes are chronically underrated, but other programs. I've heard UNC, for example.

And yes, they spend a ton of money. But that doesn't mean they don't do some idiotic things or give into hype.
                              You make a good point about major programs using Rival's ranking to secure a lot of hype for their schools by signing a few of their 4 and 5 star prospects. Rivals may be way over hyped but that doesn't mean every prospect on their ranking doesn't have some real talent. It's just that Rivals rankings aren't a guarantee of future success and their star system is weak if you examine their total results.
                              And proud of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                                You make a good point about major programs using Rival's ranking to secure a lot of hype for their schools by signing a few of their 4 and 5 star prospects. Rivals may be way over hyped but that doesn't mean every prospect on their ranking doesn't have some real talent. It's just that Rivals rankings aren't a guarantee of future success and their star system is weak if you examine their total results.
                                It's definitely not a fullproof (or is it failproof? Haha) system, but at this time they do better than the other major recruiting services (ESPN and Scout). The higher stars have a higher success rate than lower stars, and players in the 100/ 250 have higher success rates than those not in the 100/ 250. That's a good sign.

Also, it's not like the NFL where a player's character factors in as well. Considering how many players there are, that would be very difficult. So that doesn't affect the rankings initially but affects their final results.

Same deal with grades, Rivals has the GPA of many kids but it doesn't factor into ratings. This often either carries a kid to the next class, to a lower division school, or prevents them playing baseball ever.

Then there are things like coaching changes; players may be adversely affected by a coach leaving or coming in or by a coach leaving. Do you think Ben Tate (Rivals100 2006, #41 in the nation) knew that the great tradition of Auburn tailbacks was going to be put on hold by a spread offense? Or that John Dwyer (5.9 4 star RB) or Steven Threet (5.8 4 star QB who just transfered) knew that they were going to be put in a triple option? It looks good for Dwyer now, but I'm sure he was apprehensive at first.

And then some times players are hyped, but it is near impossible to get good film on them, making evaluation difficult.

Injury is also often a big variable.

That's not to say Rivals is perfect. They are notorious for giving rating bumps to players committed to schools with more subscriptions to Rivals, and don't adequately scout some states (VIRGINIA!) in comparison to the big ones (Florida, California, Texas).

There are just so many factors that play into these kids succeeding, it's extremely difficult to even do what they do.
                                Virginia Tech.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information