Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Mike Vick stayed for Sr. year. Vick or Palmer no. 1?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Palmer is da stuff

Sig by the sigmaster BoneKrusher. Each one is a masterpiece
    Originally posted by BaLLiN72
    i wish NFLDC had something like "wall to wall" where we could see Brodeur and Job's conversations.
    Originally posted by Job
    NFLDC would be jizzing itself non-stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Crickett View Post
      Quick reminder: Vince Young was drafted ahead of Matt Leinart. I think that answers this question.
      I don't think this really works since Leinart has a horrid arm and Vince Young, while athletic, isn't even close to the athlete that Vick is/was.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

If Oakland had the #1 overall pick, it would be Vick; If any other NFL team had the choice, it'd be Palmer.

Comment

Anyone saying it would of been Palmer just doesn't remember Vick coming out of College and how insanely good he was and was going to be in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
            Anyone saying it would of been Palmer just doesn't remember Vick coming out of College and how insanely good he was and was going to be in the NFL.
            They also may be forgetting that we're not talking about Vick as a RS Soph. He'd have had 2 full years to develop further and would have been one of the biggest stars in the history of CFB, assuming he stayed healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
              The same can be said of Palmer...he was insane is senior year and a borderline flawless prospect.

Vick woulda been amazing if he had stayed, but I think Palmer was a much more prototypical QB, which is what most teams look for.

Sig by the sigmaster BoneKrusher. Each one is a masterpiece
              Originally posted by BaLLiN72
              i wish NFLDC had something like "wall to wall" where we could see Brodeur and Job's conversations.
              Originally posted by Job
              NFLDC would be jizzing itself non-stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                I don't think this really works since Leinart has a horrid arm and Vince Young, while athletic, isn't even close to the athlete that Vick is/was.
                Not to say that the comparison is valid, but it slightly evens out. Vick > Young, Palmer > Leinart.

I wish I couldve seen Palmer and Vick as prospects. They must have been insane.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by the decider13 View Post
                  The same can be said of Palmer...he was insane is senior year and a borderline flawless prospect.

Vick woulda been amazing if he had stayed, but I think Palmer was a much more prototypical QB, which is what most teams look for.
                  But Vick is an obvious exception to the rule, and he already proved that by going first overall as a RS Soph. One of the best athletes to ever enter the draft is tough for a lot of teams to pass on.

Comment

Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
                    Not to say that the comparison is valid, but it slightly evens out. Vick > Young, Palmer > Leinart.

I wish I couldve seen Palmer and Vick as prospects. They must have been insane.
                    Vick especially. That was a crazy offseason. My Bolts had the number 1 pick and were coming off the year of Leaf, 1-15. Grrrreat times. We got some halfback with a funny name instead.

Comment

If Mike Vick played another year of college football he probably would have won the Heisman, maybe competed for a national championship and the hype machine would have been at a level nobody has ever seen before. It would have been almost impossible to pass on him, but then again the Chargers went ahead and did just that

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS

Comment

this is an interesting issue. I always think about where people went and where they would go in another draft.

i actually think the bengals might've taken mike vick. They had a strong running game and not much of receivers (i think chad was either finished his first or second year and the bengals needed a sparkplug. So i feel like mike vick would've been the pick

Go Ravens!

Comment

Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                          Quick reminder: Vince Young was drafted ahead of Matt Leinart. I think that answers this question.
                          The ONLY reason this happened is because Bud Adams intervened and made that pick himself. Otherwise it more than likely would have been Leinart or a trade down for Cutler.
                          Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                          RIP themaninblack

Comment

Bengals just got burnt on Akili Smith 5 years earlier taking an unproven QB with great athletic talent. No, I'm not saying Smith was anywhere near the prospect that Vick was, I'm simply stating that Akili was also a young QB coming out of the draft who was hyped for his rushing ability rather than his throwing ability.

If we're under the assumption that the Bengals front office learns from past mistakes (and I could see why people would think that they don't) then Palmer would have easily been the only choice we could make.

If we could rewrite history and assume that neither Palmer nor Vick ever got in legal trouble or had any of their past injuries, I would still prefer Palmer to this day. He's the kind of guy who will rarely be doubted by fans and the franchise, which is something Cincinnati desperately needed at the time (and maybe even so today).

Comment

Originally posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
                              Bengals just got burnt on Akili Smith 5 years earlier taking an unproven QB with great athletic talent. No, I'm not saying Smith was anywhere near the prospect that Vick was, I'm simply stating that Akili was also a young QB coming out of the draft who was hyped for his rushing ability rather than his throwing ability.

If we're under the assumption that the Bengals front office learns from past mistakes (and I could see why people would think that they don't) then Palmer would have easily been the only choice we could make.

If we could rewrite history and assume that neither Palmer nor Vick ever got in legal trouble or had any of their past injuries, I would still prefer Palmer to this day. He's the kind of guy who will rarely be doubted by fans and the franchise, which is something Cincinnati desperately needed at the time (and maybe even so today).
                              You're misremembering about Smith. He wasn't drafted at all for his rushing ability. He rarely did anything of significance on the ground for us and all people talked about leading up to the draft was his incredibly strong arm and accuracy. He was athletic as hell and was extremely difficult to sack, but he wasn't known for his speed or rushing ability. He had the best arm of any QB in Oregon history.

Comment

Originally posted by duckseason View Post
                                You're misremembering about Smith. He wasn't drafted at all for his rushing ability. He rarely did anything of significance on the ground for us and all people talked about leading up to the draft was his incredibly strong arm and accuracy. He was athletic as hell and was extremely difficult to sack, but he wasn't known for his speed or rushing ability. He had the best arm of any QB in Oregon history.
                                Hrmm maybe I am. I coulda swore he was hyped for his super 40 time and people were questioning his throw arm because he came out early.

either way, Palmer was a safe pick, and that's exactly the Bengals needed at the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information