No announcement yet.

Tully Banta-cain signs with the niners w/ link

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Bowe falls to the latter half of the first, then yes, it would be smarter for them to go elsewhere and use their additional assets to deal up for him. I'm not sold that Bowe falls low enough, though. I like Hill and Davis both a lot (and I'm not sold both are their for their 2nd round pick). Both are, though, greater risks and bigger uncertainties. Do you roll the dice on Alex Smith's future with gambles and a medicore cast? It's possible, as I'm not ruling it out, but all I'm saying is that, they need a receiver to help Alex Smith, and I don't think WR is out of consideration at 11, where I still believe Bowe is fine value (as I have him as a top 15 value, so 11 is fine).

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
      The better course of action would seem to be taking Carriker in the 1st and then either Jason Hill or Craig Davis in the 2nd, as opposed to forcing yourself to take a WR at 11th overall and setting yourself back thereafter.

If Dwayne Bowe is within trading picks' distance of the 49ers' 2nd round pick, the 49ers should do whatever they can to get him. He's a better fit for the team than Ted Ginn Jr., Robert Meachem, or Sidney Rice, I think.

Bowe is a top 20 pick. No way we get him in the draft.
      Last edited by Larry; 03-06-2007, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sup3rk1ng View Post
        It's definitely not an option unless we trade back in to the first round and take a guy like Meachem. I can definitely see us going Wr in the second round(maybe Hill), but not first. We're a run first team, WR is a priority, but not over defensive line. We shouldn't even bother trying to run the 3-4 if we keep our defensive line the way it is right now.
        Being a run-first team doesn't remove the need for the QB to develop, which, with Norv gone, means that, ostensibly, Alex will have to be provided with improved options. Again, I'm not saying WR is definitely the pick there, but I wouldn't rule it out since the value of Bowe is solid at 11. Do you gamble your QB's future with average talents (current cast) and gambles (as noted, like Hill and Davis, not sure both will be there, but one of them likely ... that said, they are still gambles)? It is possible they take that gamble, but to rule out WR at 11 right now, IMO, is a bit of a stretch.

Btw, as for my own mock, Carriker is off the board at that point already.

Comment

If Carriker is off the board, then I could probably see them taking either Bowe or Meachem.
          Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
            Being a run-first team doesn't remove the need for the QB to develop, which, with Norv gone, means that, ostensibly, Alex will have to be provided with improved options. Again, I'm not saying WR is definitely the pick there, but I wouldn't rule it out since the value of Bowe is solid at 11. Do you gamble your QB's future with average talents (current cast) and gambles (as noted, like Hill and Davis, not sure both will be there, but one of them likely ... that said, they are still gambles)? It is possible they take that gamble, but to rule out WR at 11 right now, IMO, is a bit of a stretch.

Btw, as for my own mock, Carriker is off the board at that point already.
            Strengthening our defense is another way of helping him. It would take alot of pressure off of him knowing that our defense can make the stops. The only way I see us going wide receiver is if carriker, okoye and branch are all off the board. I don't really see that happening, but if it did, i think we'd go with robert meachem.

Comment

You have an older Robert Meachem in Ashley Lelie already. I mean, basically similar types of receivers. I think if they look for a receiver there, Bowe would be the pick because

a) impressed them at Senior Bowel
              b) provides the intermediate range tough, big target to complement Lelie going downfield.

Comment

great signing, they needed a pass-rusher

Comment

i have a feeling if they add a legit WR in the draft they are going to be an exceptionally good team
                  they r goin to challenge the seahawks for nfc west for sure

sig by jkpigskin

2007 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

2011 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

Comment

very nice job by the 49ers; I really like what this guy will bring to the defense and they didn't have to pay 10 mil a year

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

#@$%$@%)@)$#%)@#$)@#_$_(

Thats all. Now I'm really getting sick and f'ing tired of the Rams not doing anything to our defense. I'm about ready to blow a fuse.
                      | Hawkeyes || Rams || Lakers || Braves || Avalanche |

Comment

Originally posted by HawkeyeFan View Post
                        #@$%$@%)@)$#%)@#$)@#_$_(

Now I'm really getting sick and f'ing tired of the Rams not doing anything to our defense.

What else is new.

Anyway according to John Clayton Banta-Cain will receive a three-year, $12.2 million contract that will pay him $4 million in 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry View Post
                          What else is new.

Anyway according to John Clayton Banta-Cain will receive a three-year, $12.2 million contract that will pay him $4 million in 2007.
                          Pisses me off more that we didn't match it.
                          | Hawkeyes || Rams || Lakers || Braves || Avalanche |

Comment

Excellent, excellent signing. Banta-Cain is a hell of a player and is still young enough that he will still be in his prime when this team is ready to seriously ready to compete, and judging by the way this franchise has been heading, that will be sooner rather than later.

"A real man makes his own luck." Billy Zane, Titanic

Originally posted by Emmitt Smith
                            Donít quit, donít even quit.

Comment

In the NFC West they can actually win the division now.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by HawkeyeFan View Post
                                #@$%$@%)@)$#%)@#$)@#_$_(

Thats all. Now I'm really getting sick and f'ing tired of the Rams not doing anything to our defense. I'm about ready to blow a fuse.
                                Imagine being a Vikings fan and watching your coach sign Vinsanthe Shiancoe expecting him to be the #1 TE. That's hard.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information