Immediate impact from your 2009 draft class

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
    All about quick one gap penetration. Has to use his quickness much more than his strength. And then just let Curtis Lofton run wild.
    He can make those quick plays, but when he takes on double teams (which will happen since he is the NT) he will be neutralized fairly easily, then one of the blockers will be able to peel off of him and take on Lofton a lot easier than if they had a true 4-3 NT. Of course he can make some plays inthe backfield using his penetration, but with better OL up against him, he will have less opportunities to make those types of plays in the run game. He can still do it for sure, but once he has a Linemen latched on him, especially if he is double teamed, he will have a hard time making plays. I think they will get plenty of pressure and sacks with that DL, but with the lack of a true run stuffer on the interior, I think that defense may be vulnerable to the run game there...
    Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

SDC

1. Larry English OLB: The plan is to get the boy on the field with Phillips and Merriman, which should be stellar to watch. However, the other advantage is that the Bolts will continue to have a pass rush in the clutch, something that dried up all too often last year. I don't know how much of last year's anemic pass rush would have been solved by Merriman's return, but doubling down and picking up a guy like English takes a lot of the risk out of the equation. I expect him to pick the game up quickly, he looks ferocious.

3. Louis Vasquez OG: The coaches rave, he's huge, can work hard and get a push in the running game, and protect in the passing game. Can't ask for much more, he's challenging for a starting spot in freaking minicamp so I expect him to get on the field this year.

4. Vaughn Martin DE/DT: 6'3 330 and I swear I would have pegged him at 260 or 70. He carries it that well. Freaky Canadian athlete with unlimited ceiling type. This year? He'll see the DE rotation, because the guys in front of him are Ryon Bingham and Jacque Cesaire.

4.b. Gartrell Johnson RB: Yay downhill runner. The Jacob Hester pick last year may have been horrific but at least AJ realized pretty quickly how idiotic it was. There will be plenty of situations for Gartrell to pick up first downs, and he keeps a very fine blog as well.

4.c. Tyronne Green OC: Burly backup center. Fits a need but hopefully won't need to do much.

5. Brandon Hughes CB: Not sure what to expect, the CB package is locked up 4 or 5 deep so I'm betting Hughes ends up on the practice squad.

6. Kevin Ellison, SS: To my surprise and delight, coaches are on the record with their Ellison love and that he'll be staying at safety. It won't take much to beat out Clinton Hart and barring an emergence from Paul Oliver, there's not much behind him. Ellison and Vasquez are the two rookies considered to be in a battle for a starting spot. I'd like to see some big hits out of our safety spots, it's been too long.

Comment

Originally posted by DoughBoy View Post
        Tennessee Titans

Gerald McRath-OLB-He will be the first guy off the bench if Keith Bulluck or David Thorton get hurt. Looks like a good apprentice for Keith and will play alot of ST.
        I actually think OLB is 2 deep before McRath - I can see Tulloch being shoved outside and Fowler inside if there is an OLB injury. Other than that, I think Keglar will have the inside track on the first natural OLB backup. Keglar basically was last year's McRath for the Titans.

Fisher hasn't been so reluctant lately in letting rookies jump up the depth charts as he once was, but McRath would have to be very impressive. I think he'll use 2009 as a year to get his body more NFL ready, with some ST work.

Fun facts sponsored by Wikipedia - Stanford Keglar's middle name is "Sherlock", and he was born on July 4th.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
          He can make those quick plays, but when he takes on double teams (which will happen since he is the NT) he will be neutralized fairly easily, then one of the blockers will be able to peel off of him and take on Lofton a lot easier than if they had a true 4-3 NT. Of course he can make some plays inthe backfield using his penetration, but with better OL up against him, he will have less opportunities to make those types of plays in the run game. He can still do it for sure, but once he has a Linemen latched on him, especially if he is double teamed, he will have a hard time making plays. I think they will get plenty of pressure and sacks with that DL, but with the lack of a true run stuffer on the interior, I think that defense may be vulnerable to the run game there...

I see what you are saying. I thought similar things myself. It's going to be interesting to how we play things. I'm sure TD/Mike Smith had to know this going in, and could have easily drafted someone like Darius Butler if he wasn't a fit. I wish I could elaborate further, but we plan on changing our D to a much more attacking style this season. I remember Keith Brooking saying on a good bye that Lofton was going to be a star not only because of his talent, but because they system was being designed to make Lofton have a Ray Lewis like responsibility. We'll just have to wait and see, I suppose.

Comment

1(6). Andre Smith - Will be the team's starting Right Tackle with Andrew Whitworth moving out to Left Tackle and Nate Livings penciled in as the starter at LG. Already has began work with the first unit. It seems the plan all along was for Smith to be the team's RT of the future and I'm psyched for that.

2(38). Rey Maualuga - The team has more or less led on that Rey is one of the team's top Linebackers and could be the starter at SLB this year and MLB in the near future. It is possible he is a top backup/Special teamer in his rookie year, but it is more likely he claims either the starting SLB or MLB job by midseason.

3(70). Michael Johnson - Has gotten reps at both Defensive End and SLB early. He will likely be used sparingly as a pass-rusher this year and be groomed further for that role and perhaps even as the team's SLB/DE in time. Don't expect to see Johnson too much outside of Special Teams where his length makes him an asset to block kicks/punts and his athletic ability makes him a nice option on coverage units.

3(97). Chase Coffman - Very uncertain. Coffman really hasn't been able to be penciled in anywhere due to an injured foot. Right now he's #3 or #4 behind Reggie Kelly, Ben Utecht, and perhaps second year pro Adam Sherry. He should be healthy by training camp and should get the opportunity to battle Ben Utecht to become the team's primary receiving TE. Once he gets healthy and absorbs the playbook, he'll likely build a rapport with Carson Palmer and the sky will be the limit when concerning the depth chart.

4(106). Jonathan Luigs - Will be a backup this season at Guard and Center. He played Center all through college but the Bengals would like to teach him to play the Guard positions as well. If starter, Kyle Cook, blows his chance as the starting Center, then Luigs may be able to claim a starting spot. Assuming the line goes as plans this year, Luigs will be on the depth chart as a backup Guard and Center.

5(142). Kevin Huber - With the release of Kyle Larson, the incumbent starter, and Ryan Plackemeier, who the team had claimed off waivers after the season, it looks like Huber is firmly and confidently the starter at Punter. The team has raved about his control and leg strength.

6(179). Morgan Trent - Will be a reserve, but may see time judging by the durability (or lack thereof) of the Bengals defensive backs in recent years. He is likely penciled in as the team's #5 CB behind Leon Hall, Johnathan Joseph, David Jones, and Simeon Castille.

6(209). Bernard Scott - Explosiveness, quickness, and receiving prowess out of the backfield have Scott likely to make the team. He is going to be the 3rd back behind Cedric Benson and Brian Leonard, but could see touches due to the fact that he really offers something different than those two. If he acts up he may very well lose the active roster spot to second year player James Johnson or DeDe Dorsey.

7(215). Fui Vakapuna - Is currently part of a three way battle for the starting Fullback spot with veteran Jeremi Johnson and UDFA Chris Pressley. Fui offers more out of the backfield than the others, but gives up a bit in strength and polish as a player. Team has been in love with him since his Pro Day and he definitely stands a chance to consistently work his way on to the active roster and field as a 7th Round rookie.

7(249). Clinton McDonald - A late 7th Round rookie with some ability who is certainly unique in his quickness. Due to the loss of veteran John Thornton and trade of reserve DT Orien Harris, he may have a chance at the active roster behind Peko, Pat Sims, Tank Johnson, and Jason Shirley. He also adds the potential to play DE and DT on passing downs.

7(252). Freddie Brown - The least likely to make the active roster due to the logjam that is our WR position. Must beat out Mario Urrutia, Maurice Purify, David Richmond, and Greg Orton to even have a chance. Chad Ochocinco, Laverneus Coles, Chris Henry, Andre Caldwell, and Jerome Simpson will be 5 of the likely active 6, with that 6th spot going to Antonio Chatman or Quan Cosby due to special teams/slot ability.

Notable UDFA's:

Chris Pressley - FB - Wisconsin
            - Surprisingly battling for the starting Fullback spot with Vakapuna and Jeremi Johnson. Is a pure lead-blocker. He is smart, tough, and strong and looks like he should have been drafted.

Quan Cosby - WR - Texas
            - If he proves himself, he'll make Antonio Chatman expendable and may even have a shot at the active roster. Offers punt return value as well as the ability to play in the slot.

Tom Nelson - S - Illinois State
            - A pleasant surprise of the minicamps thus far. Nelson has a chance at reserve Safety/Cornerback job due to surprising maturity, athleticism, willingness to learn, and return ability. A sleeper to not only compete, but win the starting Punt Return job. Could force Quan Cosby (a 6th WR) to the practice squad due to that return ability and position.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
            - For daily NFL draft coverage:
            www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

Michael Oher - with the retirement of Willie Anderson, the right tackle spot is Oher's to lose. With the loss of Anderson and the injury to Adam Terry, Oher has been taking the snaps for the 1st team, 2nd team, AND 3rd team. He is def getting his reps in. Word is that he was beat multiple times during camp but showed resilience by bouncing back.

Paul Kruger - I see him providing depth and playing some downs on our DLine rotation. With his blue-collar style play, he will def get his playing time.

LarDarius Webb - will compete for the returning job as well as provide depth in our secondary. Most likely though wont see much time as Chris Carr is my favorite to win the return job and our secondary is a bit crowded. But will help out in special teams and provide depth in many places

Jason Phillips- have not heard much about him in camp but most ravens fans here loved this pick b/c he has some great skill with a good work ethic. Will provide depth if anything happends to our MLBs

Devan Drew - Will have to beat out Quinn Sypniewski for out 3rd TE spot.

Cedric Peerman - I have a good feeling that he may make the team as depth in our backfield. But probably will not see a carry this season

Go Ravens!

Comment

Crabtree, Crabtree, Crabtree, and maybe a little Coffee and McKillop, but everything rides on Crabtree. Taylor, Francois, and Pascoe are going to play on special teams and as backups, but nothing too significant barring injury.

Stat Predictions:
                Crabtree - 62 REC 750 YDS 7 TDS
                Coffee - 100 CAR 425 YDS 2 TDS

I'm hoping Coffee surpasses expectations as a change of pace to Gore, but I think Crabtree is gonna struggle to see the field with Bruce, Morgan, Hill, and Jones battling for playing time. Luckily Crabtree is a good blocker already which should help him see the field early in Sing's revamped smashmouth offense.

Comment

Bruce and Morgan should be the starters with Crabtree in the slot. I like for maybe another 32 games, if that. Crabtree doesn't need to produce like a stud right away, but he needs to be on the field in those three wide packages and possibly more often as the year goes on.

To have him on the bench for Hill and Jones you'd have to be INSANE/

Comment

Originally posted by HinesWardJr View Post
                    Only rookies I see making an immediate impact are Kraig Urbik and/or Joe Burnett and Mike Wallace. I see Urbik being the RG from day 1 and Burnett and Wallace taking over the return duties. Hood will bring depth, but not make a great impression in his rookie season IMO. Frank Summers could make an impact too if he is our starting FB and short yardage guy.
                    Ziggy Hood -- I see him being #4-#5 on the depth chart as a rookie (Behind Keisel, Smith, Kirschke and Eason). However, I was expecting him to shine as a wedge buster until there was no more wedges to bust. I do think that we'll be seeing some 4 man fronts this season with Ziggy providing an interior rush, something Pittsburgh has lacked for the past 5 or so years. A downlineman passrusher. So even though he won't see much game time at 5-tech, I don't see why he won't be playing some 3tech.

Kraig Urbik -- Should be challenging Darnell Stapleton to play RG as a rookie.

Mike Wallace -- Kick Off returner and probably #5 WR to begin the season (Behind Ward/Holmes/McDonald/Sweed.). Could be used on some sets to get some deep speed, because he can really move.

Keenan Lewis, Showing great potential but not likely much more than a Dimeback at this point and time.

Frank Summers -- Hasn't seen many reps from what I've heard but he's probably a developmental project or they're waiting until Willie Parker is gone to put him with the starting roster.

Joe Burnett -- Showing veteran-like Poise and skill at returning Punts, Likely our starting punt returner and #5 CB. Showing potential for a solid starter down the road.

Ra'shon Harris -- Practice Squad. Shows potential, needs to lose weight, add muscle and pick up his game.

A.Q. Shipley -- Coaches are impressed with how seamless a transition it is with this kid. Learning the playbook at remarkable speeds and is showing some real tenacity, as well as the ability to get out in front of screens from the Center position. Probably a Backup C/PS player this year and could push Darnell Stapleton for the starting C job next year.

David Johnson -- Solid speed/build for an H-back (6'2 260lbs) Showing great blocking skills but the ability to sneak down the seam thats catching the coaches eyes.

As far as UDFA..

Stephen Black -- WR from Memphis... Making insanely difficult catches that has Hines Ward spending 1 on 1 time. Impressing the coaches. Probably has another 1-2 years on the PS but could push to be the next Nate Washington.

Ramon Foster -- Easily one of the most impressive Guys we brought in. They really like him at Guard, even though he was a tackle in College. He's probably going to stick for depth at worst.

Isaac Redman - I haven't heard crap about him, but I love watching his youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jixyYRkaC-k
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca1KRR62vvo
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G9_67P67zk

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                      Bruce and Morgan should be the starters with Crabtree in the slot. I like for maybe another 32 games, if that. Crabtree doesn't need to produce like a stud right away, but he needs to be on the field in those three wide packages and possibly more often as the year goes on.

To have him on the bench for Hill and Jones you'd have to be INSANE/
                      I don't think Crabtree will compete for the slot position. I think he's going to compete for the SE position. He may still get the slot but Jason Hill is more suited for that. Crabtree will still see the field though, i expect Morgan and Crabtree to rotate quite often. The depth chart will likely be..

FL- Bruce (Jones)
                      SE- Morgan (Crabtree)
                      SL- Hill
                      Last edited by 49ersfan_87; 05-28-2009, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Matthew Stafford: Franchise QB for the future. How much he plays in 2009 is the big question. If he's really really ready and Linehan/Schwartz have confidence day 1 isn't impossible. But IMO thats unlikely with Culpepper knowing Linehans offense and in really good shape. We could see Stafford Week 8 after the bye as the schedule isn't too bad the last 10 games(if Daunte struggles)(although there are some tough ones but a couple tough ones are good) or anytime later than that. Stafford will take his rookie lumps if he plays ,but he'll show some promise especially with Calvin Johnson and some other weapons and that canon arm. He's a smart QB but we'll see how it transaltes at NFL speed. Getting him experience and keeping him healthy is my basic expectation. However, most Lions fans will call for him after the first incompletion by Daunte(even if its a drop). He's got a 9 million bonus for next year most of which based on playing time and incentives. We rest Stafford if he's not ready isn't the worst thing in the world but I think he'll play at least 4-5 games.

Brandon Pettigrew: Most talent we've had at tight end since Charlie Sanders. Time to take the talent and make it something. I think Pettigrew will have the biggest impact. He is multi dimensional help for a team that needs help on many areas. He's inline blocking will aid our tackles(Backus/Gosder must be happy) in both the running game and pass protection. I think our running game will show a ton of improvement because of this along with year 2 of Kevin Smith. I think he'll be a good underneath option that Daunte/Stafford will find and get around 40-50 receptions.

Louis Delmas: Second biggest impact. A free safety that can cover and is a good tackler. It's a dream come true. I couldn't take another second of Dwight Smith or Kalvin Pearson. Delmas will start from day 1 and mainly sures up the tackling on the back end. Last year decent runs turned into gashes because of the lack of tackling abilities by Smith/Pearson. This year that won't happen. I think our coverage will be better although Delmas will take some lumps/rookie mistakes. And we have a hard hitter, can't wait to see Berrian/Hester over the middle with Delmas.

DeAndre Levy: With Larry Foote, he becomes our Mike of the future. Special teams role.

Derrick Williams: 4th receiver but his big impact will be on Kick and Punt Returns. Watching him at Penn State, he had the ability to break it anytime. His punt catching problems is exaggerated. Better field position for the Lions and Williams will work into the slot at times later in the season with Ronald Curry only on a one year deal.

Sammie Lee Hill: NT. Is a developmental guy from a small school, unforutnately will be thrust into playing earlier than we expect. Grady Jackson might have a 4 game suspension, so Hill could see time early in the season and later in a season in a rotation with Chuck Darby. Hopefully he suprises but that is just too big a jump to the NFL. With good coaching, he could become a decent nose tackle though.

Aaron Brown RB. Showed flashes at TCU but couldn't stay healthy. Will compete to be a KR and compete for the 3rd RB spot with UDFA Antone Smith. Maurice Morris has the second RB spot locked down with his 3rd down back abilities.

Lydon Murtha OT: Practice squad with Backus,Gosder,Ephraim Salaam and Jon Jansen.

Zack Follett: LB I like this guy and he'll be a special teamer. Compete with Dizon for the backup SAM, although I think Dizon will win. Hope Follett sticks though.

Dan Grankowski: TE : Another decent blocking tight end. Two tight end set would be nice but most likely he's the 3rd Tight End. Will have to battle with Will Keller for that 3rd TE spot. Fitzsimmons is the 2nd tight end but Pettigrew will be the starter obviously and see major playing time.

Comment

Immediate impact from 2009 draft class...

Unlike everyone else, I won't name all 12 picks and come up with reasons for how my scrub 5th rounders will contribute.

Instead I'll be honest and say no one for the Cowboys.

Not 1 pick.

Comment

Houston Texans

Brian Cushing will be the starting SLB in what looks to be a pretty solid rotaition of LB's. He brings much needed size and toughness.

Connor Barwin will be Mario's backup, and should come in on 3rd-and-longs and nickel sets as a spot pass rusher. He may be used at LB in short yardage and goal line situations.

Antoine Caldwell will fight for the starting C spot, but given this regime's history with mid round picks, he'll have to really fight to start this year. At least, he'll be a backup C/swing G.

Glover Quin looks to be the 4th or 5th CB on the team if he doesn't play safety. He's looked good in OTA's, but will be playing a lot of special teams.

Anthony Hill should be a redzone/ short yardage TE in the bigger offensive sets, where he'll be an asset as a blocker and a nice, big target. He can also help Duane Brown against 3-4 rushers.

James Casey is kind of a mystery. He might take Joel Dreessen's spot outright, as Casey is a better receiver and can long snap, or they could slot Casey as an extra FB and use him wherever they feel. He'll be an interesting one to watch.

Brice McCain might compete as a return man. He'll be a pure special teamer if he makes the roster, which is unlikely.

Troy Nolan is the same as McCain, though I don't see him as returner.

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information