Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you see the AFC West turning out?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
    Loss to Oakland in the opener Yodachu? Ouch. I still agree with your divisional ranking though.
    He's wrong. I hate to be pessimistic about our chances, but it's mainly centered around two concerns, Russell and the offensive line. Your pass rush will eat us alive, again.

The Raiders offense is overrated by the majority of ppl here, the only player worth getting really excited about is McFadden, if used correctly. DHB is raw, very raw, and Schilens, although a solid #2 option, is no gamebreaker. Who knows anymore with Walker after completing another operation to the same knee that’s bothered him since ’06, I believe. JLH, after all, is only a slot receiver, and that’s not even where we should expect the brunt of his impact on the team. Miller is a top player at his position, though I worry the QB controversy could have a slight affect on his numbers this season.

Russell I’d expect to be above average, which is simply no longer good enough for a first overall pick now entering into his second full season. It’s all up to Russell on how good he wants to be. I’m still waiting for him to accept the responsibility of being an NFL QB, and that means to go above and beyond what is expected on a daily basis. That, however, is just not him.

The running game should remain productive, but I’m not entirely optimistic the offensive linemen we brought in should really ‘patch up’ our pass protection significantly, although it’s not difficult to be an upgrade over Harris and Green in that department. The addition of O’Neal was huge, though, and he should provide a noticeable difference in both phases offensively.

The success of the defense hinges on the ability of the front 7 to apply pressure, as well as stopping the run more effectively. Hopefully, our new DC Marshall will utilize similar schemes to those used in Seattle to generate some pass rush from the LBs, as I would expect. The woes of the run defense could’ve had a little to do with Rob Ryan, but we’ll have to wait and see there. The pair of Aso and Johnson is top 3 in the league imo, both are the definition of lockdown, yes, that does include Johnson, and the safeties are nowhere near the top of my worries.

I’ve said it before, but this team could win anywhere from 5-8 games, which is dependent on far too many factors, so I’d probably lean towards 5 or 6 victories for now.

Comment

I really think its going to be the same result as last year in terms of placement within the division. I think every team will improve their overall record however with San Diego going 11-5, Denver going 9-7, Oakland going 6-10, and Kansas City going 5-11.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

1.SD
        2.KC
        3.Oakland
        4.Denver

Comment

If Russell can play like he did the last few weeks last year we can be 1 or 2. I see it ending like this

1 SD
          2 Oakland
          3 Denver
          4 KC

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
          @SirStackAlot707

Comment

And this is another reason I think the Raiders could make a run. Solid defense, and the QB position has two options. If Russell plays how he ended the season, they can be successful, even with the WR talent there. If not, Garcia is a real winner, and could carry them to .500 himself with that offense/defense. I feel like the Raiders are only two or three pieces from being a [possible] playoff team, if everything falls into place, who knows.

Follow Me on Twitter!
            https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

Originally posted by JBond93 View Post
              And this is another reason I think the Raiders could make a run. Solid defense, and the QB position has two options. If Russell plays how he ended the season, they can be successful, even with the WR talent there. If not, Garcia is a real winner, and could carry them to .500 himself with that offense/defense. I feel like the Raiders are only two or three pieces from being a [possible] playoff team, if everything falls into place, who knows.
              I agree, if everything falls into place, but I don't think Garcia taking over can be anything but a massive disappointment for Raidernation. A number 1 overall biting the dust is not an easy task for any franchise to swallow.

Comment

LOL at people thinking Denver is by far the worst team in the divison.

Who else in the division has offensive talent like Ryan Clady, Brandon Marshall, Eddie Royal, Knowshon Moreno... etc, other than SD?

I dont care if I am the QB, the offense will move the ball...

As for defense, they have added Brian Dawkins, Andre Goodman, Alphonso Smith, Robert Ayers. Oh and Champ and DJ missed a ton of time last year with injuries. Saying they will be picking top 5 is rediculous. Everyone stop going with the flow and realize that this team is freaking talented.
                save Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by Me Likey Rookies View Post

Who else in the division has offensive talent like Ryan Clady, Brandon Marshall, Eddie Royal, Knowshon Moreno... etc, other than SD?

As for defense, they have added Brian Dawkins, Andre Goodman, Alphonso Smith, Robert Ayers. Oh and Champ and DJ missed a ton of time last year with injuries. Saying they will be picking top 5 is rediculous. Everyone stop going with the flow and realize that this team is freaking talented.
                  I LOVE YOU NOW

Sig by the sigmaster BoneKrusher. Each one is a masterpiece
                  Originally posted by BaLLiN72
                  i wish NFLDC had something like "wall to wall" where we could see Brodeur and Job's conversations.
                  Originally posted by Job
                  NFLDC would be jizzing itself non-stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Me Likey Rookies View Post

Hm I just can't agree here, and I definitely do agree that the rest of the offense has a ton of talent. Neckbeard will certainly put this theory to the test though.

The D is just not pretty though, and you just can't measure how much impact you are going to get out of the rookies or B-Dawk, especially when their front 7 is not going to be doing the back end that many favors. I don't think everyone is going with the flow, some people make their own assessments and come to different conclusions.

Woot Alston!

Comment

Well... just to say something about the Raiders...

we won't be good this year. I just don't see it anymore. Been optimistic for about 5 years, then stopped being optimistic last offseason with Kiffin.

I think Cable is a good coach, however... Russell is all about the money, I'm sure.

Comment

So let me get this straight because I find a lot of these opinions comical.

Denver has one of the best O-lines in the league, a great WR tandem, a solid TE group, and a talented yet partially unproven group of running backs. We traded Cutler, but still got Orton a capable system QB. Nothing special, nothing too awful either. We also are running a proven offensive system.

But the departure of one player is going to make us worse than the Raiders? Are you serious?

The Raiders have: No O-line, an unproven WR group, a decent TE, and a decent group of running backs. But they have a bust for a #1 overall pick QB, and a really old veteran.

So Just because Denver doesn't have a QB with Cutler's talent, we're not going to be able to move the ball but the Raiders can? If you're going to criticize a team based soley off the QB position, at least be consistent on it, because I'm sorry to tell you our Oaklands QB situation is equal or worse than ours. The rest of Denver's offensive talent is leaps and bounds better than what they have in Oakland. That's going to be the difference.

Oh and Oakland has no defensive line either. They have an above average secondary.

For my own rankings. With the departure of Tony Gonzalez the chiefs will be hurt a little, but I see them on the rise. They have a good LT and a decent line.. Their defense is okay if they can get some pressure on the QB. For me its too close to call with Denver and KC. It'd be a crime if the Chargers didn't get first in this division with the talent they have on that team, and the amount of players they have in a contract year.

The AFC west has a brutal schedule this year.

1) Chargers 10-6
                        2/3) Broncos 8-8
                        2/3) Chiefs 7-9
                        4) Raiders. 5-11
                        Last edited by DenverDex; 05-25-2009, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DenverDex View Post
                          The Raiders have: No O-line, an unproven WR group, a decent TE, and a decent group of running backs. But they have a bust for a #1 overall pick QB, and a really old veteran.

So Just because Denver doesn't have a QB with Cutler's talent, we're not going to be able to move the ball but the Raiders can? If you're going to criticize a team based soley off the QB position, at least be consistent on it, because I'm sorry to tell you our Oaklands QB situation is equal or worse than ours. The rest of Denver's offensive talent is leaps and bounds better than what they have in Oakland. That's going to be the difference.

Oh and Oakland has no defensive line either. They have an above average secondary.

I understand you were trying to make a point, but you completely undervalued a good portion of our team.

Since when is Zach Miller a 'decent' TE?

Together, our group of RBs is very solid and should hit the top 10 in team rushing this season. That's a bit more than I can expect from the Broncos’ group, this year at least.

Let's not even compare the QB situations, we have a QBofTF, you do not. Our backup is arguably better than your starter, so let’s stop there.

You trash our DL, yet what exactly do you have?

Oh, and ‘above average’ secondary. LOL.

Aso/CJ > Bailey/Goodman/Smith
                          I’ll give you a major edge with the safeties, though.

But other than that, you’re about right.

Comment

Denver has one of the best O-lines in the league, a great WR tandem, a solid TE group, and a talented yet partially unproven group of running backs. We traded Cutler, but still got Orton a capable system QB. Nothing special, nothing too awful either. We also are running a proven offensive system.

But the departure of one player is going to make us worse than the Raiders? Are you serious?

I'd like to know what drugs some of you guys are on.

Okay, so Zach Miller is much better than decent, he's been the only consistent threat in our passing game over the past 2 years, and the guy is blocking over half the plays, and still caught 50 passes.

Our secondary had 3 players statistically ranked in the top 12 last year based on forced incompletion stats and yards allowed in Nnamdi, Chris Johnson and Stanford Routt. Much more than above average even though the S situation is unknown at this point.

Oakland's offensive line has improved based on the personnel changes made this off-season. Barnes is better than Kwame, Satele was a capable starter for Miami and adding Pears and Johnson to push out Green is huge. Robert Gallery is a great LG, yes he busted at tackle but he's a pro bowl caliber G. Obviously Denver has a better line, but it's untrue to say Oakland has no line.

Russell had over a 90 pass rating in our last 3 games, and an 85 for the last 6 with young unproven weapons at wideout, that's pretty impressive, and he's much more talented than Orton.

And the run game for Oakland is decent? Seriously? Bush proved his worth the last game of the year, he's a starter in this league. McFadden showed glimpses of being a great #1 back despite having 2 turf toes and a shoulder that was hurt week 2, he has the size/speed combo that is almost unmatched. Fargas is one of the hrdest runners in the league and never quits, he's a starter in this league as well. You have a collection of lifetime backups, and a rookie...

I'm by no means predicting where the teams will fall, but you act as if Denver is a playoff bound team and Oakland is the 2008 Lions, you're just an extremely misinformed hater.

Comment

Short answer to the topic is that SD win the division by at least 3 games.

KC won 2 games last year and have lost their best offensive weapon to the Falcons. They are not 6 games better than last year despite improving in other areas.

Oakland is heading in the right direction, despite Al Davis's best efforts, but still have a few seasons to go. They dont win 8 games.

There is a lot of "denver on the road to disaster" talk going around that is a bit overstated. The defense is considerably better personnel-wise than last year despite the front 7 still being below par. Special teams this year are also much better (thanks Josh - this was always Shanny's weak point). Denver has more talented personnel on the roster this year than last despite losing Cutler if you average across the defense, offense and special teams.

The loss of Cutler is not actually as important to the performance of the offense as is the installation of a new offense. Orton's physical skills are more than adequate to run this new system, but Denver's record this year will be heavily tied to how he mentally handles it and how quickly the offense as a whole figure out what to do and when to do it.

Denver was lucky to win 8 games last year, and with the new offensive scheme (and defensive), it is highly unlikely they get close to winning 8 this year (despite the better personnel).

I predict that KC, Den and Oak pretty much split their divisional games, and each maybe win 1 or 2 others. There is every possibility none of them win 6 games.

Comment

I'd like to know what drugs some of you guys are on.

For my own rankings. With the departure of Tony Gonzalez the chiefs will be hurt a little, but I see them on the rise. They have a good LT and a decent line.. Their defense is okay if they can get some pressure on the QB. For me its too close to call with Denver and KC. It'd be a crime if the Chargers didn't get first in this division with the talent they have on that team, and the amount of players they have in a contract year.

The AFC west has a brutal schedule this year.

1) Chargers 10-6
                                2/3) Broncos 8-8
                                2/3) Chiefs 7-9
                                4) Raiders. 5-11
                                Like all homer fans, you just don't want to see the writing on the wall. Denver's defense was the equal of Detroit's last year and I'm not seeing where it was significantly improved in what is considered a very weak draft year. They are still going to give up huge amounts of yardage and points. At least last year, they had an offense that could keep them off the field occasionally, but without Cutler, the offense is very suspect.
                                Orton isn't close to being a solid NFL starting QB, he far closer to a career backup QB. Orton cannot win by throwing the ball, he must have a solid running attack to be anything close to effective. Teams are going to take away the run and force Orton to beat them through the air. The OL had it easy with Cutler escapability, let's see how they function with a statue at QB. The WR's only had to get half a step for Cutler's arm to get them the ball, they are going to have to get a lot more separation with Orton throwing them the ball.
                                Then there is the coaching. Will the players accept their new HC or look at him like he is some idiot who couldn't keep a good thing going. BB coordinators don't actually have a great track record for success, ask Cleveland and Notre Dame??? NE doesn't use Shanahan's blocking schemes so the OL may have to make quite a few adjustments to their new blocking assignments and there is no guarantee they all will adjust well.
                                What's comical to me is that a lot of Denver fans are living in the past, so used to success that they cannot fathom that a disaster could be occurring right before their eyes but I'd have to set the odds at 70 to 30 that Denver has at least a top 10 pick and maybe even a top 5 pick after this coming season. Too bad your HC traded your 1st rounder for a nickle back, he going to add it to his lists of total blunders and I'll be shocked if he still has the job after this season. I mean, how many blunders can one man make???
                                And proud of it!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information