Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

someone have a tissue for this guy? i think he might actually cry

Comment

Enough with the teasing and condescending remarks guys. No need for drama, unless it's for why we American football.

Anyway, I just saw on ESPN that Haynesworth will be interviewed by NFL officials this coming week.

Also glad we got the comp pick thing understood. Some were on two complete different pages on that, but it made for some great reading at 4 AM! :D
      Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
      Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
      Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

What is the exact rules on tampering? I thought owners were allowed to talk to agents but they weren't allowed to contact the player directly. I didn't think there were any rules about talking to other players agent because there's a very good chance that agent services another player on said team. If Danny was talking to Malcolm Kelly's agent and the topic of Haynesworth came up there is absolutely no way to prove it, is there?

IMO this is going to be an uphill battle for the Titans but I wouldn't doubt the league takes a pick just because the perception of tampering is there. Goodell will probably try to make an example out of the situation and screw the Skins out of a pick but what can you do...?

Comment

Originally posted by jsagan77 View Post
          What is the exact rules on tampering? I thought owners were allowed to talk to agents but they weren't allowed to contact the player directly. I didn't think there were any rules about talking to other players agent because there's a very good chance that agent services another player on said team. If Danny was talking to Malcolm Kelly's agent and the topic of Haynesworth came up there is absolutely no way to prove it, is there?

IMO this is going to be an uphill battle for the Titans but I wouldn't doubt the league takes a pick just because the perception of tampering is there. Goodell will probably try to make an example out of the situation and screw the Skins out of a pick but what can you do...?
          Honestly, Speck could've called the 'Skins up and said, "Hey, Albert wants to play for ya'll," and it wouldn't be tampering. The tampering would begin when Wash. calls back asking, "Really? We'd love to have him in D.C.!" The agent can reach out, just not the organization.

I got this off a Titan board that OzTitan and I frequent, and he delved into this earlier in the thread:

This is the tampering policy:

TAMPERING AND FREE AGENCY
          Definition
          The term tampering, as used within the National Football League, refers to any interference by a member club with the employer-employee relationship of another club or any attempt by a club to impermissibly induce a person to seek employment with that club or with the NFL.

Purpose
          The purpose of the NFL Anti-Tampering Policy, as it applies to tampering with players, is to protect member clubs’ contract and negotiating rights, and, at the same time, to allow the intra-League competitive systems devised for the acquisition and retention of player talent (e.g., college draft, waiver system, free-agent rules under an operative collective bargaining agreement) to operate efficiently. As the Policy applies to tampering with non-players, its purpose is to strike a balance between protecting the rights and maintaining the organizational stability of employer clubs, and providing realistic advancement opportunities for employees if other clubs desire their services.

NFL Anti-Tampering Policy 4
          Anti-Tampering Policy applies during that period of the year (before the start of the free-agency period in mid-February) and that tampering violations may be based upon contacts with players at or in connection with the Pro Bowl, including when:
          1. Club executives in attendance engage in private conversations or meetings with a player or players under contract to another club; or
          2. Club executives directly or indirectly instruct or encourage conversations or meetings involving their own players and players under contract to other organizations that can reasonably be interpreted as designed to express the club’s interest in acquiring the services of such other player(s).

Non-Players
          No club, nor any person employed by or otherwise affiliated with a club, is permitted to tamper with a non-player employee of another club. Unless otherwise provided for in this Policy, no club may request permission to discuss employment with a non-player, non-coach employee of another club, whether or not that employee is under contract, during the employer club’s playing season, defined as the period from the opening of preseason training camp through the club’s final game of the season, including postseason if applicable. (See the language under “Head Coaches” and “Assistant Coaches” below that prohibits all in-season discussions or dealings concerning coaches.) Except for Head Coaches and High-Level Club Employees (club presidents, general managers, and persons with equivalent responsibility and authority), clubs are not permitted to exchange draft choices or cash for the release of individuals who are under contract to another organization. If a club employs an individual who has been terminated by another organization, which is entitled to an offset for compensation owed to its former employee, the terms of the employee’s new contract must provide that the employee is paid an annual salary in each year of the contract which is reasonable for that employee in light of his experience, the services he will be performing, and the League’s average salary for employees in similar positions. In addition to providing an overall compensation which is reasonable, the new club must also ensure that any increases which are granted to the employee in contract years subsequent to the fermination of the prior club’s obligations are also reasonable. In the event o a dispute, final determination will be made by the Commissioner.

– NFL

As to what Oz was gettin' at:

7. TORTUOUS INTERFERENCE WITH CONTRACT

In order to establish a claim for Tortuous Interference with Contract, six elements must usually be established:

A valid existing contract;
          That defendant had knowledge of;
          That defendant intended to induce breach of;
          That the contract was in fact breached or performance was rendered more difficult;
          Causation; and
          Actual damage.

Essentially, what Tortuous Interference in the NFL would be is affecting the signability of a player. The Titans held the right to re-sign their talent without interference, and if Washington was telling Speck that they'll pay big money, they violated the Titans rights.

As for proving it, we don't know. We don't know if this is an image thing which Goodell wants to make an example out of. We don't know if this is just the NFL going through the motions. That will greatly influence the outcome. In my opinion, if Goodell is wanting to use this to make a statement to the NFL, the Redskins are screwed and precedents could be set - Anything from fines, to the Skins having to forfeit portions of Haynesworth jersey sales, to giving Draft picks to the Titans, to facing regulatory sanctions in future FA periods, to who knows. If it's just going through the motions, then I'm not holding my breath as a Titans fan.
          Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
          Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

Originally posted by parrish_lemar24DBSkins View Post
            Why are there so many snarky guys on SWDC?
            Yall need to chill OUT!!!
            I'll be the first to admit that every thread you go in, people seem to go right against the grain on you. Although i don't agree with what you say some of the time (Asomogha discussion in particular), people seem to take a negative response type to continue the discussion. I agree that many people on here are very snarky and seem to like to team up (strength in numbers?). It is kind of sad actually, knowing that if people just posted like cival people rather than trying to pick on someone, that there could actually be a good discussion going on, rather than it coming off as a bunch of people whining and pointing fingers.

Getting lost in this discussion through all this, is that nothing has actually been determined yet and that people are accusing others of jumping to conclusions. The NFL wouldn't look into this and make it public if they didn't see something that caught their eye. Goodell wanting to take a strong stance on the NFL tampering situation certainly factors in as well.

We do not know all the details. We are not in a position that allows us to know all the details. There is very little, if any, chance that anything will be in paper that can be held against the Redskins, so it will have to be verbal evidence that shows them guilty. Given the people involved, and their current relationship to the Washington Redskins (players, agents, management), they all have something to lose if they get caught speaking out (if they haven't already). However, people do get caught in these situations, so it will be interesting what comes of it.

I don't know how they determine the pick compensation if found guilty, so i certainly won't comment on that.

Orakpo will be rushing the passer, that is obvious. If the OLB position is an area of need, why can't they have him stand up occasionally and rush the passer? Assuming he shows he can do it, they can certainly mix that in. For all we know, he can excel at that position (in the 4-3 it is highly unlikely, that is not a conversion done often). It certainly seems a long shot, but he can mix in there. Having him drop into coverage occasionally is something that will happen, but saying it will happen doesn't mean it will be frequent, so don't jump all over it.

The Titans doing this doesn't mean they are whining or anything liek that, and people on here saying they should just leave it alone are being ignorant. If they think something went on, with a guy with as much hype and attention as Big Albert, signing a HUGE contract for Dan Synder of all people, you have to realize this is a business and that the Titans would be stupid if they didn't try to obtain something from the situation. They lost their best defender and got nothing, so if you can get something, why not? They'd be stupid to just say 'Ah well, what's done is done, lets let this one slide'. They may or they may not, but it doesn't cost them anything.

They weren't going to re-sign him, but that isn't the point. The point is they can get something for nothing, and regardless of what the situation is, you try to get that something......

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
            You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

Originally posted by parrish_lemar24DBSkins View Post
              You're assuming they get pinched by Goodell for tampering, CC.

There's nothing that leads me to believe this will be the final outcome, however, I 'm sure the burden of proof for the NFL is much less than it would be in a criminal court proceeding.

If you had read the entire thread, mate, you would see it does have a tangential relevance to the convo. The signing of Haynesworth makes the transition to SAM that much easier for Orakpo.

No need to crack back if you don't know what you're talking about.

G'day.

Why are there so many snarky guys on SWDC?
              Yall need to chill OUT!!!
              YAY someone still doesn't know what a compensatory pick is!!

There were no tampering charges against the bears, yet they got a comp pick for Bernard Berrian. Interesting.

Sig by the sigmaster BoneKrusher. Each one is a masterpiece
              Originally posted by BaLLiN72
              i wish NFLDC had something like "wall to wall" where we could see Brodeur and Job's conversations.
              Originally posted by Job
              NFLDC would be jizzing itself non-stop.

Comment

Nothing needs to get proven for the Titans to pick up a high comp pick. They're awarded based on a super secret formula which factors in UFAs let go, UFAs brought in, and the salaries of both.

Comment

Originally posted by toddmlazarchick View Post
                  Since he is no longer a Titan
                  I said it when he was a Titan. He is a special pass rusher and is def. one of the top DT in the leauge. But he is not this brute agianst the run that the media hypes him up to be. He chases no one but the QB and he is not this consistant game changer week in and out. He wil see about 55% of the snaps a game and is a lock to miss between 2-4 games a season. Great player and I wish he were still a Titan but he isnt the sole awnser for the redskins and if you think he is going to be as good there as he was here his history and the titans history says otherwise.

Originally posted by Jurrell Casey
                  I love light skin and white women but my main chick is brown skin

Comment

Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
                    Nothing needs to get proven for the Titans to pick up a high comp pick. They're awarded based on a super secret formula which factors in UFAs let go, UFAs brought in, and the salaries of both.
                    This, and Jeff Fisher gave Goodell a super awesome mustache ride.

Fish...always takin' one for the team!
                    Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                    Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

Originally posted by TitanHope View Post
                      This, and Jeff Fisher gave Goodell a super awesome mustache ride.

Fish...always takin' one for the team!
                      Goodell wore his frowny face the whole time to maintain the facade of impartiality.

mmm bbq time.

Comment

Truth be told, Big Albert strikes me as one of those guys that once he gets his big paycheck is going to slump down to the 'average' category.....

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
                        You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

Good info. This is going to really tough for the league to prove considering there is just a bunch of hearsay. Its going to be interesting to see what they come up with regardless of the end result, IMO..

Originally posted by TitanHope View Post
                          Honestly, Speck could've called the 'Skins up and said, "Hey, Albert wants to play for ya'll," and it wouldn't be tampering. The tampering would begin when Wash. calls back asking, "Really? We'd love to have him in D.C.!" The agent can reach out, just not the organization.

I got this off a Titan board that OzTitan and I frequent, and he delved into this earlier in the thread:

This is the tampering policy:

TAMPERING AND FREE AGENCY
                          Definition
                          The term tampering, as used within the National Football League, refers to any interference by a member club with the employer-employee relationship of another club or any attempt by a club to impermissibly induce a person to seek employment with that club or with the NFL.

Purpose
                          The purpose of the NFL Anti-Tampering Policy, as it applies to tampering with players, is to protect member clubs’ contract and negotiating rights, and, at the same time, to allow the intra-League competitive systems devised for the acquisition and retention of player talent (e.g., college draft, waiver system, free-agent rules under an operative collective bargaining agreement) to operate efficiently. As the Policy applies to tampering with non-players, its purpose is to strike a balance between protecting the rights and maintaining the organizational stability of employer clubs, and providing realistic advancement opportunities for employees if other clubs desire their services.

NFL Anti-Tampering Policy 4
                          Anti-Tampering Policy applies during that period of the year (before the start of the free-agency period in mid-February) and that tampering violations may be based upon contacts with players at or in connection with the Pro Bowl, including when:
                          1. Club executives in attendance engage in private conversations or meetings with a player or players under contract to another club; or
                          2. Club executives directly or indirectly instruct or encourage conversations or meetings involving their own players and players under contract to other organizations that can reasonably be interpreted as designed to express the club’s interest in acquiring the services of such other player(s).

Non-Players
                          No club, nor any person employed by or otherwise affiliated with a club, is permitted to tamper with a non-player employee of another club. Unless otherwise provided for in this Policy, no club may request permission to discuss employment with a non-player, non-coach employee of another club, whether or not that employee is under contract, during the employer club’s playing season, defined as the period from the opening of preseason training camp through the club’s final game of the season, including postseason if applicable. (See the language under “Head Coaches” and “Assistant Coaches” below that prohibits all in-season discussions or dealings concerning coaches.) Except for Head Coaches and High-Level Club Employees (club presidents, general managers, and persons with equivalent responsibility and authority), clubs are not permitted to exchange draft choices or cash for the release of individuals who are under contract to another organization. If a club employs an individual who has been terminated by another organization, which is entitled to an offset for compensation owed to its former employee, the terms of the employee’s new contract must provide that the employee is paid an annual salary in each year of the contract which is reasonable for that employee in light of his experience, the services he will be performing, and the League’s average salary for employees in similar positions. In addition to providing an overall compensation which is reasonable, the new club must also ensure that any increases which are granted to the employee in contract years subsequent to the fermination of the prior club’s obligations are also reasonable. In the event o a dispute, final determination will be made by the Commissioner.

– NFL

As to what Oz was gettin' at:

7. TORTUOUS INTERFERENCE WITH CONTRACT

In order to establish a claim for Tortuous Interference with Contract, six elements must usually be established:

A valid existing contract;
                          That defendant had knowledge of;
                          That defendant intended to induce breach of;
                          That the contract was in fact breached or performance was rendered more difficult;
                          Causation; and
                          Actual damage.

Essentially, what Tortuous Interference in the NFL would be is affecting the signability of a player. The Titans held the right to re-sign their talent without interference, and if Washington was telling Speck that they'll pay big money, they violated the Titans rights.

As for proving it, we don't know. We don't know if this is an image thing which Goodell wants to make an example out of. We don't know if this is just the NFL going through the motions. That will greatly influence the outcome. In my opinion, if Goodell is wanting to use this to make a statement to the NFL, the Redskins are screwed and precedents could be set - Anything from fines, to the Skins having to forfeit portions of Haynesworth jersey sales, to giving Draft picks to the Titans, to facing regulatory sanctions in future FA periods, to who knows. If it's just going through the motions, then I'm not holding my breath as a Titans fan.

Comment

The Skins tend toward FAs instead of draft picks, that's why they usually have <7 on draft day. The ones they do have are pissed away on bad choices anyway.

They might lose a 5th rounder, bfd. I think that's what the 9ers were penalized for tampering with Briggs. Hell yes the whole league tampers

Comment

Originally posted by OzTitan View Post
                              Says the poster who just used Australian-isms derogatorily because of the poster's location?
                              More wombat-bashing, shameful.....

Ethnic slur Memorial Day jk --> Those Native American Redskins didn't know just how the Aussies were offended by naming a team after their beloved wombats..... Kind of like using the name "abo" in front of black Aussies, or "redskins" on a Native American reservation. :-)
                              Last edited by LizardState; 05-25-2009, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DoughBoy View Post
                                I said it when he was a Titan. He is a special pass rusher and is def. one of the top DT in the leauge. But he is not this brute agianst the run that the media hypes him up to be. He chases no one but the QB and he is not this consistant game changer week in and out. He wil see about 55% of the snaps a game and is a lock to miss between 2-4 games a season. Great player and I wish he were still a Titan but he isnt the sole awnser for the redskins and if you think he is going to be as good there as he was here his history and the titans history says otherwise.
                                Crap well I guess no one should ever be picked from the Titans because Jeff Fisher and company know all. Dude please. To say that Haynesworth will be less of a player in DC because of the history of players leaving Tennessee is pulling arguments out of your ass and hoping they stick. I have articles from your own players stating the Albert not only brings his game with him but also makes others around him much better. Thats adding to the #4 ranked defense last year.

Originally posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
                                Truth be told, Big Albert strikes me as one of those guys that once he gets his big paycheck is going to slump down to the 'average' category.....
                                If you read some of his interviews you wouldnt think so.

Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                                The Skins tend toward FAs instead of draft picks, that's why they usually have <7 on draft day. The ones they do have are pissed away on bad choices anyway.

They might lose a 5th rounder, bfd. I think that's what the 9ers were penalized for tampering with Briggs. Hell yes the whole league tampers
                                Sean Taylor, Chris Cooley, LaRon Landry, Chris Horton, Rocky McIntosh, Chris Samuels, Jon Jansen, Anthony Montgomery, Carlos Rogers.....thanks for the unintelligent comment

2011 FA: FS - OJ Atogwe
                                2011 Draft Picks: Ryan Kerrigan-OLB-Purdue, Jarvis Jenkins-DE-Clemson, Leonard Hankerson-WR-Miami, Roy Helu-RB-Nebraska, DeJon Gomes-CB/S-Nebraska, Niles Paul-WR-Nebraska, Evan Royster-RB-Penn State, Aldrick Robinson-WR-SMU, Brandyn Thompson-CB-Boise State, Maurice Hurt-OG-Florida, Markus White-OLB-Florida State, Chris Neild-NT-West Virginia

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information