No announcement yet.

Brian Urlacher

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was surprised to see that Urlacher topped 90 tackles for the 8th time in 9 seasons in 2008. I'll admit that he has passed his peak, but the way a lot of people talk about him you would think that he had like 50 tackles and was nowhere to be found on the field most of the time.

He might not be the best in the business anymore, but is still an above average MLB and I would take him over most anyone in the league 10 times out of 10 and twice on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
      I was surprised to see that Urlacher topped 90 tackles for the 8th time in 9 seasons in 2008. I'll admit that he has passed his peak, but the way a lot of people talk about him you would think that he had like 50 tackles and was nowhere to be found on the field most of the time.

He might not be the best in the business anymore, but is still an above average MLB and I would take him over most anyone in the league 10 times out of 10 and twice on Sunday.
      That's what I don't get. People make it seem as if his career is over. But with arthritic back and neck injury he still has a chance to bounce back and have an elite year or so or at least 3 or 4 above average years left.

Comment

Bad DT play is the reason why it has seemed like Urlacher has regressed so much.

Last year, we had freaking Dusty Dvoracek as our starting NT for over half the season, Tommie Harris was obviously still not healthy as he sucked for a good portion of the season as well. Once Tommie Harris started to play better and we put Anthony Adams in at NT, they were able to take on blocks and leave Lach open to make plays.

And you can say that about any LB. If a LB doesn't have good DT play, it's gonna look like that LB sucks because he has big ass linemen coming at him every play. Most players are only as good as their supporting cast.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
          While I was never a big fan of the Tampa 2, its sad to see it become essentially a dead scheme. The pure Tampa 2 as we once knew it, is pretty much a dead scheme in today's NFL.

Every team runs some variation of the scheme, but its not the Tampa 2 anymore.

To be fair, the Bears never really were a pure Tampa 2 team to begin with.

Urlacher disappointed me greatly in the SB. Great defenders make plays in the biggest game of their life. Urlacher did not play up to his standards.
          How could he? Once Chico saw Manning burn him once, he decided not to let it happen again, and thus completely backed off of the blitzes that were, for the most part, working extremely well to that point, and went to a deep zone which exposed the underbelly of their defense extremely. In fact (this is all off the top of my head, so don't crucify me if I'm a little bit off), I think the Bears ran 4 blitzes in their first 6 defensive plays, then none for the rest of the game. They would have had a MUCH better chance IMO had they stuck with the blitz. Urlacher can't do much when he's 20 yards off the LOS within 2 seconds of the snap.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
          <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey Joe View Post
            Bad DT play is the reason why it has seemed like Urlacher has regressed so much.

Last year, we had freaking Dusty Dvoracek as our starting NT for over half the season, Tommie Harris was obviously still not healthy as he sucked for a good portion of the season as well. Once Tommie Harris started to play better and we put Anthony Adams in at NT, they were able to take on blocks and leave Lach open to make plays.

And you can say that about any LB. If a LB doesn't have good DT play, it's gonna look like that LB sucks because he has big ass linemen coming at him every play. Most players are only as good as their supporting cast.
            IIRC Gary Brackett led the NFL in tackles at one point last year with a 265 pound NT.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
            <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

Working...
            X

Debug Information