Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FlyingElvis View Post
    Nice write up.

I agree it is here to stay and will be implemented by more teams this season and probably beyond. It won't be as a full time, base offense by any means, but it can be effective.

My thoughts on it are this: teams with stud QBs will not use it. There's just no sense in taking the ball out of a great QB's hands and asking a RB to make the correct decision, then make a good throw in passing situations. I love Kevin Faulk but I'm all set with him behind center while Brady lines up outside.
    Agreed on this. No team with a franchise QB will run the Wildcat. It's basically a formation to try and level the playing field for less talented teams.

Comment

Yes, the wildcat requires a few players with certain skill sets. You need guys who can master multiple talents (passing, catching, rushing) to run it at it's maximum effectiveness.

Since prototypical pocket passers like Peyton Manning are so valuable and generally only possess the throwing skill set, it's unlikely that any coach is willing to risk the health of these QB's to have them go out and catch a pass and possibly get injured.

however, if you wanted to build an offensive playbook that used not only the wildcat, but other QB-option / run first type formations, then it's possible a guy like pat White could run that type of offense.

The reason why I doubt the Dolphins, or anyone for that matter, try this scheme is because it's too risky.

1) If Pat White (or any QB that a franchise tries this with) fails then you just spent 2-3 years building an offense that doesn't work. No body wants to be the team that takes that risk to build an offense that may or may not work.

2) I remember reading an article on Michael Vick and the person being interviewed (I don't remember who now) said, "Every time he left the pocket everyone on the sidelines held their breath" for fear of him getting injured. Vick had a unique skill set, as well as Pat White, and if you build an offense around him then your team lives and dies by his health because there aren't enough QB's built in that mold.

3) You basically take a job away from your current reliable pocket passer. if the Dolphins completely changed their offense, then Pennington doesn't help your team at all.

Comment

the thing is they won't completely change their offense. it'll be apart of the offense. if someone gets hurt then that part of the offense is useless, but its not like the team will be screwed.
        Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

The crazy thing is that the Wildcat is not new..Jets used it in '06...I'm sure the Chargers have used it with Tomlinson/Brees and maybe even Tomlinson/Rivers...theres no real way to stop it but to have a D that is ready to react to it...hell I think we used it back with Martin/Jordan/Pennington...

Comment

It's funny how everyone is saying that their teams were the ones that came up with it...nobody cared about it until Arkansas got on a winning streak with it 3 years ago, then everyone blew a load when it came to the NFL. It's a fad that will pass as teams figure it out.

Comment

I think a variety of teams used parts of the offense as trick plays based on this thread alone we can add

NYJ
              CAR
              CLE
              SD

To the list as well as Miami, the point is though, it seems Miami is somewhat committed to riding the offense as it's mainstay, not a gimmick or a last ditch to be more competitive.

Comment

It worked really awesome for Miami that one game against New England, but other than that it was just a good wrinkle at best in an offense. I think ESPN and the fans are blowing it up to be a crazy good idea because a lot of teams have been copy-catting the Dolphins and throwing that wrinkle into their offense. Josh Cribbs ran it, he can throw (QB at Kent State), not much more effective than if you have a RB. I don't think it'll die like a fad, but I do think that the hype around it will. I don't think the success of that formation will increase anymore than it has with defensive coaches figuring out ways to stop it. Heck last year in the 2nd meeting of MIA/NE Ronnie Brown didn't do crap.

Comment

The Wildcat is a trick play it's not an offense.
                  Originally posted by 49erNation85
                  I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

Originally posted by Menardo75 View Post
                    The Wildcat is a trick play it's not an offense.
                    There are multiple plays you can run out of the Wildcat formation. I think you meant to say formation rather than "play".

Comment

Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
                      There are multiple plays you can run out of the Wildcat formation. I think you meant to say formation rather than "play".
                      Yeah that is more along the lines of what I ment. There is no such thing as a "Wildcat offense" Though it's not an offense it's just a trick play formation.
                      Originally posted by 49erNation85
                      I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

I don't see why the wildcat can't work in the NFL. Its predicated on misdirection, and getting angles on the defense.

I can see defending this offense being more of an issue for teams who run a lot of man coverage. They'll take that half step the wrong way more often than a zone team.

Comment

Working...
                        X

Debug Information