Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staley signs extension with Niners; 6 year extention $42 mil

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4231521

Odd that he got a new deal after only 2 years of playing, but damn now they have him until 2017. Interesting move by the 9ers.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
    Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Good move to lock him up now before things get crazy within the next few years. He played great once Just Turnovers "Holds the ball too long" O'Sullivan got benched.

Comment

Strange. He had a first round contract anyway so its not like he was making pennies. Seems like a bad precedent for future rookies. Doesn't this just give Patrick Willis justification to demand a new contract?

Comment

I liked Staley a lot coming out of college, but I was under the impression that he had a pretty rough year overall in 2008 (I do know he shaped up some later on in the year).

Comment

I don't like this move for either side right now....

For Staley, that contract looks nice now, but this locks him up through I believe 2017. With the current state of affairs in NFL free agency, players of lower and lower quality are cashing in HUGE every year when free agency starts up and signing deals that seem to break records every single time.

Now lets say Staley continues to develop well and the Niners have a franchise LT on their hands. That contract is likely going to be dwarfed by guys who are half the player Staley could be in just a few off seasons.

I also don't like it for the 49ers because, as mentioned, it does set a bad precedent. Staley was only 2 years into his 5 (i believe) year rookie deal. Now P-Willy can come to them and demand a long term, big money extention. So could Davis or any other recent high draft pick of theirs who plays well in the future here.

Not a big fan of this really......

Comment

well wouldnt extending guys like PWilly also be good for the 9ers? i mean they would work against those inflating contract?

Comment

locking players up long-term before they become pro bowl type contributors... sounds risky but the payoff (a relatively cheap LT for the next decade) is huge. If Staley plays as well as he could, the Niners could look brilliant.

On the other hand if he bombs they're in trouble.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
              don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
                well wouldnt extending guys like PWilly also be good for the 9ers? i mean they would work against those inflating contract?
                But I can guarantee that in a few years when the contract they're playing for looks like peanuts compared to what far lesser players are getting in the open market, these guys will be pretty peeved.

You could look at it and be like "well thats their problem....good for the organization....nothing the player can do but hold out....etc etc."

But we see those type of players hold out all of the time. And in many cases, they force a trade or get the new contract they want.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post

For Staley, that contract looks nice now, but this locks him up through I believe 2017. With the current state of affairs in NFL free agency, players of lower and lower quality are cashing in HUGE every year when free agency starts up and signing deals that seem to break records every single time.

Now lets say Staley continues to develop well and the Niners have a franchise LT on their hands. That contract is likely going to be dwarfed by guys who are half the player Staley could be in just a few off seasons.

I also don't like it for the 49ers because, as mentioned, it does set a bad precedent. Staley was only 2 years into his 5 (i believe) year rookie deal. Now P-Willy can come to them and demand a long term, big money extention. So could Davis or any other recent high draft pick of theirs who plays well in the future here.

Staley said the 49ers approached him early in the offseason about working out a contract extension. He said he has gotten the indication that this is what the 49ers plan to do with some other players, including linebacker Patrick Willis.
                  http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/...ough-2017.html

I love Staley but this is so odd. This is a 6 year extension on top of his rookie deal. He's basically signed for 9 years, 43 million in total .

If we extended him we better extend Willis. Hopefully we can give him a lifetime contract :D

Comment

Originally posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
                    http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/...ough-2017.html

I love Staley but this is so odd. This is a 6 year extension on top of his rookie deal. He's basically signed for 9 years, 43 million in total .

If we extended him we better extend Willis. Hopefully we can give him a lifetime contract :D
                    Imagine those contract talks...

"Hi Patrick, sit down"
                    - "Thanks, what's up?"
                    "We want to talk about your contract"
                    - "okay, what about it"
                    "We want to extend it, is that ok"
                    - "depends on how long you want to extend it"
                    "what are you thinking"
                    - "4, maybe 5, years... something like that"
                    "hmmmmm we were thinking something a little different"
                    - "really? what then?"
                    "how about UNTIL YOU DIE"
                    - *gulp*

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                    don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

From the 49ers standpoint i really don't see the point of this, all it's going to do is create friction between Staley and the organisation in a few years when he realises he's being drastically underpaid.

Comment

this is what the eagles have practiced for a while, and it works for a while until like now when the player are now underpaid per market value, and ask for more money.

The way it is

GamerTag : GrubbyPaws (Halo 3, NCAA 09, Madden 09)

Comment

I guarentee you Willis' extension is not far behind. Also Staley isn't the type of guy to complain about money. The reason why they drafted him is because he is a blue collar type of guy, and football player. Well that and the fact that they needed a franchise LT.
                          Originally posted by 49erNation85
                          I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

Originally posted by Menardo75 View Post
                            I guarentee you Willis' extension is not far behind. Also Staley isn't the type of guy to complain about money. The reason why they drafted him is because he is a blue collar type of guy, and football player. Well that and the fact that they needed a franchise LT.
                            He's also an NFL player. By nature, they complain frequently about money. 90% of all players who ever hold out for more money typically start off as guys you wouldn't think would complain about money.....then they do and suddenly they become a locker room cancer and all of that.....

It's really bogus. Give him maybe 3 years when mediocre LT's are getting paid more just because they hit FA at the right time and he'll complain.

Comment

He's also an NFL player. By nature, they complain frequently about money. 90% of all players who ever hold out for more money typically start off as guys you wouldn't think would complain about money.....then they do and suddenly they become a locker room cancer and all of that.....

It's really bogus. Give him maybe 3 years when mediocre LT's are getting paid more just because they hit FA at the right time and he'll complain.
                              And then they will extend him again?
                              Originally posted by 49erNation85
                              I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information