Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official UFL (United Football League) Thread

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...g-out-for-ful/

With former NFL coach Dennis Green overseeing the workout, former Baltimore Ravens first-round pick Travis Taylor and former Arizona Cardinals first-round selection David Boston were a few of the players in attendance, UFL spokeswoman Rachel Gary told us in a telephone interview today.

Besides Taylor, other ex-NFL players on hand included: tight end Jermaine Wiggins, quarterback Quinn Gray, wide receiver Reche Caldwell and running back LaBrandon Toefield and wide receiver/defensive back Bobby Sippio.
    The article also mentions that the league is going to make the teams using a system of geography to place the players for the first year rather than an initial draft.

I think that the smartest thing this league is doing is making the teams up of players from certain states rather than initially doing a draft. Realistically this league has a very small shot of making itself a fixture for more than one year.

As we all know these leagues tend to go bust in their first year and this league was floated to investors during a time of massive economic boom, now the economy has crapped itself the market for the league has definitely shrunk.

Making the teams have some form of state origin in their make up may find a way for the league to expand their fanbases beyond the city the team is based in and expand their chances of lasting.

I'm surprised to see Jermaine Wiggins trying out, he's 34 years old has an AFC and NFC title and a superbowl ring and a pretty bad case of concussion when he last played in the NFL.

David Boston and Travis Taylor I can understand, Taylor had no luck in carolina getting on the field even when Hackett and Robinson went down with injuries so I didn't expect him to ever be an NFL receiver again after bouncing from team to team for years, but he could be a pretty decent receiver facing nobodies at cornerback in a league which will be likely made up with rules designed for big plays and lots of scoring.

Boston is 30 but has no knee ligaments and a busted foot, so it should be interesting to see what he's capable of given he was a talented receiver before he went nuts and got injured constantly.

Thoughts on the new league?

It's probably going to FAIL. Just like the XFL.

I think that any players that have troubles playing the game when they get out of college will always have trouble no matter where they go. Sometimes, players just lose their sense of direction after they come out of college and then they end up sucking it up. Wiggins came as a suprise to me, because when he played for the Vikings I thought he was a beast. But I really think that players who can't play the real game of pro football, will never be able to play the real game of pro football, even if they are against ****** defenses or offenses.
    Last edited by vikes_28; 06-07-2009, 11:12 PM.

sig by fenikz
    Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
    You are just a terrible person.
    Originally posted by bigbluedefense
    I have an iPhone.

Comment

I think that quite a lot of college players do well in a system and then fail once they hit a more stringent offense and have to deal with the speed of an NFL defense.

For a lot of these guys they were playing what was a very different game back in college, so it's no surprise they bust out, with a new league with lesser level of opposition and probably what will be a different style of offense and defense we'll see some of these big busts actually do ok IMO.

Comment

I've never understood how Quinn Gray hasn't earned and NFL spot.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
        WHO DAT!

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
          I agree, I never saw him play, but whenever I saw his stats he seemed to do well

Originally posted by BeansDooma
          who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?

Comment

Originally posted by bearfan View Post
            I agree, I never saw him play, but whenever I saw his stats he seemed to do well
            Yeah ok, against 2nd team defenses.

sig by fenikz
            Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
            You are just a terrible person.
            Originally posted by bigbluedefense
            I have an iPhone.

Comment

Sip Sip Sippio!

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
                I always like what I saw from him too. Seemed to have and okay arm and he was pretty mobile. I always thought he would catch on as a 3rd Qb.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Comment

Originally posted by vikes_29 View Post
                  Yeah ok, against 2nd team defenses.
                  No one said he was a stater, he would provide a solid back up if needed for a game or two.

Comment

I liked Quinn Gray a lot, maybe he wants to play and figures this league gives him the best chance.

Comment

Quinn Gray did a good job as a fill-in, but he wanted too much for being a #2 after 2007 as a UFA so the Jags didn't re-sign him. Turned out alot of other teams didn't care for him, either.

by BoneKrusher
                      <DG> how metal unseen
                      <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

Gray is better than a lot of current backups.

Comment

The issue with gray is likely he wants to be a starter somewhere.

Comment

This is going to revolutionise modern day sports. I mean how can a league with Quinn Gray, Reche Caldwell and possibly...wait for it...Pacman Jones not succeed???

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                              The issue with gray is likely he wants to be a starter somewhere.
                              I'd love to see him in Argo blue in the CFL.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information