Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best and worst trades your team ever made?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best and worst trades your team ever made?

Best

Trading a 2nd and 4th round pick to Tampa Bay for Steve Young. Those 2 picks turned out to be LB Winston Moss and WR Bruce Hill. Neither played more than 4 years for Tampa Bay. Young went on to become a 1st-ballot HOFer, and arguably a top 10 QB of all time.

Worst

The 49ers traded up for J.J. Stokes in the 1995 draft, giving up a future 1st rounder. That pick would turn out to be the 26th selection in 1996. No big deal, right? It just turned out to be Ray Lewis. Stokes went on to have many mediocre seasons and was released in 2002. Ray Lewis is a guaranteed Hall of Famer. Swing and a miss for the 49ers here.

What are some good/bad trades your team made both recently and historically?

Best

Tough one between trading Rick Mirer to the Bears for a 1st round pick, Galloway to the Cowboys for two f1st rounders or getting Largent from the Oilers for an 8th. But Im gonna go with the Largent trade because it netted the only HOF player in franchise history.

Worst

Probably trading the 2nd pick in 1977 for three 2nd rounders to the Cowboys who got Tony Dorsett. Or trading a first for Deion Branch.
    "Oh **** it's Kam, RUN!!!"

Comment

Best: I cant think of any at the moment...Probably trading to get Fran Tarkenton back with the vikings.

Worst: The Herschel Walker Trade

The Vikings would make what would be considered its biggest personnel blunder in team history. On October 12, 1989, the Vikings acquired Herschel Walker from Dallas. The final result of the trade gave the Vikings Walker, third-round choice Mike Jones, fifth-round choice Reggie Thornton and tenth-round choice Pat Newman in 1990 and a third-round choice in 1991 Jake Reed, while Dallas received Issiac Holt, David Howard, Darrin Nelson, Jesse Solomon, Alex Stewart, a 1st, 2nd and 6th-round choice in 1990, 1st and 2nd-round choices in 1991 and a 1st, 2nd and 3rd-round choice in 1992. Two of those selections turned into Emmitt Smith and Darren Woodson. Herschel's performance fell short of expectations in his three seasons with the Vikings, while the Cowboys rode their draft picks to three Super Bowl victories in the early to mid 1990s.
      Randy Moss trade was also pretty bad.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure

Comment

You can't judge trading draft picks based on who was selected. There's no way of knowing that the 49ers would have picked Ray Lewis like the Ravens did. They didn't trade Ray Lewis for JJ Stokes, they traded the 26th pick for JJ Stokes. Huge difference. Had that trade not happend it'd be more likely that the 49ers would have Alex Van Dyke.

Comment

Best for the Packers would be trading for Brett Favre. It cost a first round pick, but for 16 years of a hall of fame QB that's a damn good deal.

I'm drawing a blank on bad trades. I know we've got some, but I can't think of any at the moment.

Comment

Worst- The combination of the Cutler trade and then trading our own first round pick(almost guaranteed to be a better pick than Chicago's, probably top 10) for #37. Nope, we couldn't just write into the trade that they got our worse pick, had to be our own.

Best- Elway, probably, although I don't know the stuff involved with that.

Also, the Portis-Bailey trade is probably the only trade I can think of where both teams were very happy with what they got. Although I do miss CP

(f***en saved)

Originally posted by Scott Wright
            Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
            Originally posted by njx9
            do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Packers' worst trade ever

The Packers acquired QB John Hadl for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounder in 1975 and a 1st and 3rd rounder in 1976. Hadl started 19 games as a Packer and tallied 9 TDs and 29 INTs.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
                Packers' worst trade ever

The Packers acquired QB John Hadl for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounder in 1975 and a 1st and 3rd rounder in 1976. Hadl started 19 games as a Packer and tallied 9 TDs and 29 INTs.
                Ah yeah, there we go. What makes it even worse is he was benched before all that was given up for him.

Comment

Alright the Tennessee Titans short history

Best trade:
                  Traded for Kevin Carter from the St. Louis Rams. Became a stalwart on our defensive line for many years

Worst trade:
                  Traded Steve McNair to the Baltimore Ravens for a 4th round pick. Was the heart and soul of our team, and this deal basically finished off the old regime. And to a rival no less!

Originally posted by bearsfan_51
                  Show me your Wang, if you will.

Comment

Best: Herschel Walker Trade Obviously.

Worst: Between the Joey Galloway trade (two 1st) or trading down in 2004 when SJax was fell into our laps. But JJ was somewhat solid while he was here and we're doing okay at RB now, so I'm going to go with the Joey Galloway trade.

Comment

I'll just do Indianapolis Colts franchise history:

Worst: The Colts essentially traded Marshall Faulk for Mike Peterson and Brad Scioli when they traded him for the Rams 2nd and 5th round picks. While Peterson and Scioli weren't bad players, Marshall Faulk is a future Hall of Famer.

Best: 2nd round pick for Booger McFarland. Championship.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
                      <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

Originally posted by Dam8610 View Post
                        I'll just do Indianapolis Colts franchise history:

Worst: The Colts essentially traded Marshall Faulk for Mike Peterson and Brad Scioli when they traded him for the Rams 2nd and 5th round picks. While Peterson and Scioli weren't bad players, Marshall Faulk is a future Hall of Famer.

Best: 2nd round pick for Booger McFarland. Championship.
                        Eh I dont know if Trading Marshal Faulk was all that bad. Colts ended up drafting Edge and he led the league in rushing yards in 99 and 2000. Not to mention he holds the colts career touchdown and rushing records.

Comment

Best: Not really sure to be honest, too tired now but I'm sure I can think of something.

Worst: Not making the freaking Ricky Williams trade... Instead of just loading up on draft picks we of course, took the incredible Akili Smith who spent a few years running for his life and hasn't been heard of since.

Comment

Originally posted by StripedWalrus View Post
                            Eh I dont know if Trading Marshal Faulk was all that bad. Colts ended up drafting Edge and he led the league in rushing yards in 99 and 2000. Not to mention he holds the colts career touchdown and rushing records.
                            I really can't come up with a worse trade. Edge didn't come from the Faulk trade, he came from the Colts being Top 5 pick bad in 1998, so when you consider the return on the trade alone, it's a bad trade.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
                            <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

Best - Roy Williams/7th Rounder to the Cowboys for a 1st/3rd/6th

Worst - The only one that sticks out to me is Dre Bly to the Broncos for Tatum Bell and George Foster.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information